Audax Alpine Classic or Scody 3 peaks?

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Fri May 01, 2015 2:37 pm

hi all ... I want to set myself a challenge for next year ... I like riding the mountains in the Bright area and thought I might take on the Audax event ... Is the Scody ride a lot different? Which is more challenging? Pros and cons of each event? Any experiences/preferences?
Cheers

kb

Re: Audax Alpine Classic or Scody 3 peaks?

Postby kb » Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 am

I've heard the AAC has better food :-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:08 am

The 3 peaks event is strongly affiliated with bicycle network who do not support safe passing legislation.
That for me is a strong reason to boycott the event.
Audax Australia is a great organisation who provide a really well run and catered, friendly event. Much more worthy of your support.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Plus a gazillion to the other comments above but also the AAC has several different options in distance and climbing.
Andrew

joomz

Postby joomz » Sat May 02, 2015 1:38 pm

I don't like how 3P starts on a descent. AAC has a much more peaceful start imo, heading out from bright to harrietville.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat May 02, 2015 1:41 pm

I agree that the AAC is a well run event worthy of support. Another factor in your choice is the weather on the day. The Australia Day weekend is often hotter that the 3 Peaks held in March where past experience shows it can be a lottery weather wise. You can expect anything from freezing winds, wet, mild or it being quite hot in the valleys during the 3 Peaks.

kb

Postby kb » Sat May 02, 2015 4:12 pm

On the other hand, closed roads for Peaks is quite appealing.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Sat May 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks all for the informative responses ... I'm an Audax member so it would make sense to support them ... the fee discount would be handy.
Looking at the website it seems I wouldn't qualify for the 250km ride ... so doing one of the qualifying events next year would be a good way to test the water.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat May 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I imagine the AAC is significantly cheaper too.

mtb1011

Postby mtb1011 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:38 am

this is an interesting question that I get asked by new riders quite a bit.

I've done 2 - 3 Peaks and 5 AACs - 200s.
-----
cost:
AAC is cheaper and easy to enter - you have more accommodation options around Bright.

3 Peaks in more expensive, Falls is main accommodation option and unless you get in quick event fills up within days of entries opening.

---------
atmosphere, value for money, event support etc:

3 Peaks has very fast groups to hang onto, timing, bv riders to pace you, a fantastic fondo/race like atmosphere, is superbly managed, has fantastic support at stops, excellent support on course, event attracts some serious riders, post event food, - yep they hand you a pasta/drink at finish, a jersey, and loads of well stocked stops with gels, bananas, fruit cake, water, plenty of toilets. The event is geared for fast times. They have really set the standard for how to run an event, only the Amy Gran Fondo comes close to this level.

Alpine, has limited support, less competitive types, is well managed, no (or limited) roving course support - , has a mix of some serious but more endurance types. you tend to be riding solo or in small groups, compared to 3 Peaks where you'll be in very large pelotons going along at a steady pace. The AAC check point at falls is well stocked and has a great atmosphere so does the Mt Buffalo stop. There's no real incentive to push yourself apart from a personal goal. The emphasis on the AAC is to be self sufficient, therefore the event support is a bit less is more approach.

---------
what to do?
do both. they both stand on their merits as great events to do and when you meet riders from all over Australia who attend the 3 peaks and rave about how fortunate we are to have all these mountains - well.

Do the AAC first get your legs for climbing, eating, how to pace yourself. Then have a crack at a fast 3 Peaks.

---------

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:46 pm

AAC has a fantastic family feel to it - make sure you book accommodation early.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 pm

mtb1011 wrote:
3 Peaks has very fast groups to hang onto, timing, bv riders to pace you, a fantastic fondo/race like atmosphere, is superbly managed, has fantastic support at stops, excellent support on course, event attracts some serious riders, post event food, - yep they hand you a pasta/drink at finish, a jersey, and loads of well stocked stops with gels, bananas, fruit cake, water, plenty of toilets. The event is geared for fast times. They have really set the standard for how to run an event, only the Amy Gran Fondo comes close to this level.
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue May 19, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 18, 2015 11:41 pm

'ang on.. hasn't Christopher said it's bad juju to discuss the efficacy & polices of the many & varied advocacy groups these days - and ask we not do it?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:28 am

Yeah you are right. :oops:
I was a bit cranky last night and dropped my filter.

What I did write wasn't [emoji234] [emoji90] though :x

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

the ACE 250 is harder than 3 peaks, as:
1. you will not be pulled along by a big bunch
2. it's hotter, often stinking hot.

however 3 peaks is now bigger and AAC weekend has become a bit less popular with the growth of Tour Down Under on same weekend. I love the AAC and go every year though. Audax do a brilliant job with organising.

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Mon May 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Haven't done Peaks, and only the 250 as The Raid... but having done various Alpine events (200, The Raid, 130) for some years in a row, I agree with those commenting re: weather. The heat in January can make or break many riders. But you never know what you'll get...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Thread necro time.

I'm thinking of getting together some mates to do the weekend up there as part of a 50th birthday celebration.

But thinking that it may be a bit late on the accommodation front.

Any suggestions re the best way to find accom up there ? Would be looking for a 3br place (not a camper) and would prob be there for a week, as it's a long drive from Adelaide.

Had a go a few years ago and loved it. Closest I'll get to European length mountains .....

Cheers

Michael B

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:28 pm

just go through Stayz or Wotif, Bookingdotcom etc. Mike. there are heaps of houses for rent. and yeah, get in early. we're already booked for 2016.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Had a quick look at some, and most are already booked.

Seems I may have left it a bit late :-(