Q: Michelin Pro 3's with Tyre Liners

Defy The Odds

Q: Michelin Pro 3's with Tyre Liners

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:35 am

Fellow riders,

I have a question regarding tyre liners.

I purchased a set of Michelin Pro 3's I intend on fitting to my Giant Defy Comp 2.

I read good reviews regarding their supple qualities, good wet weather grip and rolling resistence. However I also read some mixed reviews stating that they are puncture prone which now has me somewhat concerned.

My question is, from your experiences (perhaps with similar tyres), will the liner hamper the supple nature of the tyre?

Will the liner give me that quality race tyre quality with some puncture resistence?

I was thinking of fitting the tyre (and liner) just prior to the Around The Bay ride (my first one) and did not want issues on the day.

Any assistance greatly appreciated [emoji3] [emoji106]

Jay

ironhanglider

Re: Q: Michelin Pro 3's with Tyre Liners

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Fellow riders,

I have a question regarding tyre liners.

I purchased a set of Michelin Pro 3's I intend on fitting to my Giant Defy Comp 2.

I read good reviews regarding their supple qualities, good wet weather grip and rolling resistence. However I also read some mixed reviews stating that they are puncture prone which now has me somewhat concerned.

My question is, from your experiences (perhaps with similar tyres), will the liner hamper the supple nature of the tyre?
Yes
Will the liner give me that quality race tyre quality with some puncture resistence?
No
I was thinking of fitting the tyre (and liner) just prior to the Around The Bay ride (my first one) and did not want issues on the day.

Any assistance greatly appreciated [emoji3] [emoji106]

Jay
Puncture resistance and tyre comfort/grip etc tend to be mutually exclusive, despite the claims of the manufacturers of performance tyres to be puncture resistant, and the puncture resistant tyres to perform well.

The tyre liners will impact on the feel of the tyres, but will improve their puncture resistance. I have done the RTB on tubulars but that was taking a bit of a chance. I am a tyre wiper, and I did have to stop once to dig out a bit of glass that was embedded in the front tyre. Many people would prefer to not have to worry about getting a puncture.

I would suggest fitting the tyres at least a couple of weeks before a big ride. This will allow some time to scrub the mould release from the tyres, and ensure that there are no last minute troubles with fit or fitting errors like a pinched tube - which don't always cause an immediate blow-off.

Cheers,

Cameron

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Hey Cameron,
I was thinking the same thing re fitting the tyres on a couple of weeks prior to iron out any issues.

I have to say you're pretty game doing the round the bay on tubulars... good effort

I think I will stick with the Michelins for now... a nice light supple tyre on a 200km ride will be music to my behind!

tonydallea

Postby tonydallea » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Another option is using latex tubes... I have actually used these with Michelin Pro 3 that i had on my other bike and these seemed a bit more puncture resistant (though you need to be a bit more carefull installing them than standard tubes). Evidently they roll a bit better, but it was hard to notice this benefit.

I use the Michelin ones which you can get from a few online bike stores.

Tony

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:34 pm

tonydallea wrote:Another option is using latex tubes... I have actually used these with Michelin Pro 3 that i had on my other bike and these seemed a bit more puncture resistant (though you need to be a bit more carefull installing them than standard tubes). Evidently they roll a bit better, but it was hard to notice this benefit.

I use the Michelin ones which you can get from a few online bike stores.

Tony

Tony how did/do you find the Pro 3's?

I was too afraid to use them since everything stuck to it like super glue and was worried the debris it picked up would be glass that would give me punctures... but I really like the suppleness

P.S sorry to dig up an old thread

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 am

The puncture resistance of certain tyres is over-stated in my opinion. As is the likelihood of certain other brands puncturing easily.
If you run over something really sharp, you are going to get a flat no matter what tyre you have.

I have put the softest grippiest shortest life-span tyre that I can find on all my sons wheels, training and racing (Schwalbe Ultremo ZX). This is because I would rather pay for tyres than hospital bills. He goes down hills fast and round corners fast. Puncture protection is the least of my worries. Despite the 'evidence' that these are soft easily punctured tyres, he has not had a flat in about 4 years, and he rides 10 hours a week on all sorts of road surfaces.

Pro 3s are a good tyre, just ride them.

You biggest risk of getting a flat is to run them at too low a pressure. Shoot me down for saying it, but at 110 + psi nothing sharp can get into the tread. And you wont get a pinch flat either.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:09 am

Derny Driver wrote:The puncture resistance of certain tyres is over-stated in my opinion. As is the likelihood of certain other brands puncturing easily.
If you run over something really sharp, you are going to get a flat no matter what tyre you have.

I have put the softest grippiest shortest life-span tyre that I can find on all my sons wheels, training and racing (Schwalbe Ultremo ZX). This is because I would rather pay for tyres than hospital bills. He goes down hills fast and round corners fast. Puncture protection is the least of my worries. Despite the 'evidence' that these are soft easily punctured tyres, he has not had a flat in about 4 years, and he rides 10 hours a week on all sorts of road surfaces.

You biggest risk of getting a flat is to run them at too low a pressure. Shoot me down for saying it, but at 110 + psi nothing sharp can get into the tread. And you wont get a pinch flat either.
Cheers mate I think I might bite the bullet then.

I have a fear of changing a roadside flat for some reason even though I have all the gear for it and it has stopped me enjoying quality tyres.

Appreciate the response

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:22 am

I have used these in the past for my fixie and training bike. They work extremely well and are cheap for the extra protection.

http://mrtuffy.com/ultralite.html

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:31 am

samuel86 wrote:I have used these in the past for my fixie and training bike. They work extremely well and are cheap for the extra protection.

Do you think this would impact the feel and performance of the tyre?

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:32 am

Derny Driver wrote:The puncture resistance of certain tyres is over-stated in my opinion. As is the likelihood of certain other brands puncturing easily.

Derny, forgot to ask (was reminded by above poster), did you use tyre liners like the mr tuffy ones?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 am

Defy The Odds wrote:
samuel86 wrote:I have used these in the past for my fixie and training bike. They work extremely well and are cheap for the extra protection.

Do you think this would impact the feel and performance of the tyre?
I've used them for so long with Continental GP4000S II 23mm and 25mm I cannot remember if there is a difference in feel. But the improvement in puncture protection is huge. Running 110+psi pressures doesn't in my experience make any difference to puncture protection. The biggest reduction in punctures is riding routes that don't normally have broken glass on them, and using the liners mentioned above. They aren't perfect, but they sure do help.

I think if Young DD rode the M4 motorway shoulder all the time, it'd be punctures daily.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:39 am

Defy The Odds wrote: Derny, forgot to ask (was reminded by above poster), did you use tyre liners like the mr tuffy ones?
Ive never used a tyre liner.
Ive never worried about getting a puncture. I can change a tube and be on my way in around 3 minutes. Once in a handicap race I got a puncture off second scratch, I changed it in time to jump on the scratch group who started 4 minutes behind. So flat tyres are no big deal.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 am

Derny Driver wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote: Derny, forgot to ask (was reminded by above poster), did you use tyre liners like the mr tuffy ones?
Ive never worried about getting a puncture. I can change a tube and be on my way in around 3 minutes. Once in a handicap race I got a puncture off second scratch, I changed it in time to jump on the scratch group who started 4 minutes behind. So flat tyres are no big deal.
I don't think I am anywhere near as proficient as you when it comes to changing a flat. If it took me 3 minutes I wouldn't care either !

Maybe need more practice at home, that way will be better prepared in the situation itself !

Cheers!

samuel86

Postby samuel86 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:

Derny, forgot to ask (was reminded by above poster), did you use tyre liners like the mr tuffy ones?
I have always used liners for my fixie that I use as a commuter and also my training bike. I have never noticed any difference. My fixie actually runs the normal Mr. tuffy liners.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Put the Michelins on last night and rode this morning for 55km without incident. No tyre liners.

They are much more supple and super sticky - very confidence inspiring. New wheels and tyres on the way (see my other thread) but happy to keep this set aside ready to go.... very pleased

kb

Postby kb » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am

Defy The Odds wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
I don't think I am anywhere near as proficient as you when it comes to changing a flat. If it took me 3 minutes I wouldn't care either !

Maybe need more practice at home, that way will be better prepared in the situation itself !

Cheers!
The slowest bit (with clinchers) is often finding the cause. You don't want to risk a double puncture though, so it's a useful exercise. If you can be bothered, 5 minutes once a week looking over your tyres, especially the rear and picking out any glass shards will pay dividends.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Well I got my first flat this morning. I punctured with 10km to go on a 50km ride.

I think it was a pinch flat because I couldn't find any glass or debris in the tyres. What was very disappointing though, was that there are only around 90km on these tyres and I already found a deep cut on the sidewall.

Tyre handles great but I wouldnt be buying them again are way too fragile for suburban streets.

My new Fulcrums and Schwalbe One's arrived though and will be going on tomorrow so I shouldnt have those issues any longer