Shimano brake hoods

Sloop

Shimano brake hoods

Postby Sloop » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:22 am

Hi,
I've recently rebuilt a 9 speed road bike fitting compact chain rings and in doing so noticed the brake hoods, over time and through use have become worn to the point they are now perished and split.
As the bike is approx 15 or so years old manufacture of these hoods has been superseded by new models and do not fit this pair of levers. The series number is 5500 so I am posting this in the hope that someone may have a set or know of somewhere I can buy a set as the alternative I guess is to upgrade to a more recent model of shifters. I'd prefer not to do this but it may be the only solution that gets me back onto this bike.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou

Duck!
Expert

Re: Shimano brake hoods

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Have a dig around on eBay & the like, occasionally you can pick up discontinued stuff that's no longer available from the manufacturer.

Just to be slightly confusing though, there are three versions of 5500-series shifters & hoods; ST-5500 is the early non-Flight Deck computer compatible version, ST-5500C is the early Flight Deck version, with both computer button nodes in the right hood, and ST-5510, a late-model update which has one Flight Deck button node in each hood. If you're not worried about the Flight Deck buttons, 5500C & 5510 hoods are interchangeable. 5500 are probably OK, but I'm not 100% sure; the shifter head may be slightly shorter.

Look also for 6500-series Ultegra hoods, they are actually the same parts as 5500 series. Also look for 4400-series Tiagra hoods. Although also a superceded model, they hung around longer than 5500/6500 so might be slightly easier to find. While not identical, they're close enough in shape to fit.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Sloop

Postby Sloop » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks very much for your assistance I shall check out those other options. Cheers

mrvlhs

Postby mrvlhs » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi, I have a pair of hoods for Shimano 55xx/65xx Flight Deck (the ones with just one button). Let me know if you're interested. The number of buttons only matters if you're going to use the Flight Deck cyclocomputer, otherwise you're good to go, fit is perfect and brakes and shifting work the same ;)

Sloop

Postby Sloop » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks but i think i tracked down a replacement pair from "Collectable Relics" on eBay. Havent fitted them yet but they look like they'll be ok.

bocian85

Postby bocian85 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:04 pm

mrvlhs : do you still have the hoods ? I've been trying to find you on google for some contact, and even on this forum I cannot send you a private message directly. I need these hoods you have.