L'etape - Anyone doing it?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: L'etape - Anyone doing it?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 pm

CyclingPat wrote:If this is being held under UCI rules does that mean disc brakes are out?
I understand that this was an issue in an overseas race (UK?) however recall seeing that this is not regulated in the Australian L'etape.

But... if any of the officials say anything, just tell then they are dork discs (i.e. crappy protective discs on cheap bikes to prevent the chain slipping off onto the spokes) and you will be left alone.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:59 pm

I heard that Froome is riding L'etape - that is a pretty big deal.
Cycling is in my BNA

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Yeah - starting from the back and riding through. Plus I think he's holding a couple of pre-race meets too.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Wow the ride jersey is only $155. :shock: Well done those who have mortgaged their house to go on this thing, it very well may be a one off event.

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Yeah I don't plan on getting the jersey.. I've paid enough already..!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Grgic wrote:I think i just baulked at the entry fee...
It's fairly cheap. One I'm looking at next year overseas is over €1000 - but it's a long event, multiple days - should be awesome riding, great scenery.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:26 pm

Geez i'd love to do this, but i'm just a occasional noob rider, and couldn't find the time anyway.

I know weather considerations could be an issue, and travel logistics; but riding on closed roads (i think), and with Froome - seriously, stop complaining about the cost. :twisted: It'd be awesome.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:18 am

stevenaaus wrote:Geez i'd love to do this, but i'm just a occasional noob rider, and couldn't find the time anyway.

I know weather considerations could be an issue, and travel logistics; but riding on closed roads (i think), and with Froome - seriously, stop complaining about the cost. :twisted: It'd be awesome.
Try Haute Route - that's the one I'm going to do next year.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:44 am

g-boaf wrote:
Grgic wrote:I think i just baulked at the entry fee...
It's fairly cheap. One I'm looking at next year overseas is over €1000 - but it's a long event, multiple days - should be awesome riding, great scenery.
I'd much rather plump up the Euro to do a ride overseas.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:
stevenaaus wrote:Geez i'd love to do this, but i'm just a occasional noob rider, and couldn't find the time anyway.

Which one are you doing? I'm doing the Triple Crown. Much better value than a one day race in Australia
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am

queequeg wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Which one are you doing? I'm doing the Triple Crown. Much better value than a one day race in Australia
Innsbruck Venice - Dolomites. :) I've been tempted and I haven't been overseas in ages. :) Looking forward to it.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:56 pm

If riding beside a pro is the attraction to this the Orica winery ride has a lot more pros at a cheaper price and they would actually have time to talk to you rather than Froome speeding past trying to circle the whole field.

newierider

Postby newierider » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:49 am

athman wrote:It looks like an interesting ride but their cut off times are too tight for me. I like climbing but I'm not particularly fast. They have a timing car that travels the course, and if it passes you, you have to withdraw. I wouldn't want to spend all that money and go all that way just to be booted off the course.
they are going to be a bit more lenient for the first edition, if you can average 20kph overall, you will just scrape through, its a hard one to estimate your times though.. pretty long hill at the end..

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:25 am

g-boaf wrote:
queequeg wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Innsbruck Venice - Dolomites. :) I've been tempted and I haven't been overseas in ages. :) Looking forward to it.
Cool, I guess I'll see you in Innsbruck then, except my legs will already have the Pyrenees & Alps on them. At least we get a 5 day "rest" after the Alps so we can transfer from Geneva, but I expect I'll be riding on those days with the group I'm with (twowheeltours) before we catch the train up to Innsbruck.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:35 am

queequeg wrote:
Cool, I guess I'll see you in Innsbruck then, except my legs will already have the Pyrenees & Alps on them. At least we get a 5 day "rest" after the Alps so we can transfer from Geneva, but I expect I'll be riding on those days with the group I'm with (twowheeltours) before we catch the train up to Innsbruck.
I've entered Pyrenees and Alps, can't wait!! It's going to be so epic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:57 am

So that's three of us. Should be amazing. :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:08 am

g-boaf wrote: Innsbruck Venice - Dolomites. :) I've been tempted and I haven't been overseas in ages. :) Looking forward to it.

Had a look at the site to see what the route is (loved the Dolomites when I went this year), but couldn't see it. Do you know anything about it, or does that get revealed later ?

The price is steep, but you get a lot for it. How much does the accomodation add ?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:06 am

Route is meant to be revealed later this month.

Lots of accommodation options - the cheapest is shared which is 380 Euro for the week, right up to the luxurious options of around 2500 Euro for the week

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:12 pm

MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Innsbruck Venice - Dolomites. :) I've been tempted and I haven't been overseas in ages. :) Looking forward to it.

Had a look at the site to see what the route is (loved the Dolomites when I went this year), but couldn't see it. Do you know anything about it, or does that get revealed later ?

The price is steep, but you get a lot for it. How much does the accomodation add ?
Route announcements should be happening in the next 2 weeks. Accommodation costs depend on what package each rider selects, with budget options all the way up to luxury options.
I am doing all three events with twowheeltours, which books their own hotels etc separately. Basically mine is a 4 star fully catered group with our own support cars on the course. I figured if I was doing it, I was going to do it properly :-) You can see the cost for each event in on the twowheeltours website. It's not cheap, but you get an awful lot of stuff for your money, and you just can't put a value on this kind of experience.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:53 am

Pyrenees route has been announced. it's a little different this year with fewer race villages. Easier logistics but quite a few of the day's route overlaps and I really like riding point-to-point.

Anyway - it looks tough and I can't wait!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Sparx wrote:Pyrenees route has been announced. it's a little different this year with fewer race villages. Easier logistics but quite a few of the day's route overlaps and I really like riding point-to-point.

I reckon it will be a bit more relaxing knowing that you aren't in a different hotel every night. The 7 days looks tough. Can't wait to see what the Alps & Dolomites routes look like.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

Tour of Bright have put out a press realease for this weekends race that its likely to be cancelled yet Letape are saying thier event is most unlikely to be cancelled or postponed. BOM is predicting 45-70mm of rain at Jindabyne on saturday. Absolute madness.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:26 am

queequeg wrote:
Sparx wrote:Pyrenees route has been announced. it's a little different this year with fewer race villages. Easier logistics but quite a few of the day's route overlaps and I really like riding point-to-point.

I reckon it will be a bit more relaxing knowing that you aren't in a different hotel every night. The 7 days looks tough. Can't wait to see what the Alps & Dolomites routes look like.
Dolomites next year is just three days. :( Glad we got the full thing.

Unfortunately Alps has gone back to the old route rather than the 2017 one (Nice to Geneva). Still a big ride from Megeve to Nice:

https://www.hauteroute.org/events/overview/alps-2018

787km and 20,650m+. :)

On the accommodation side, in truth it's not so bad being in a different hotel each night - they look after everything and your bags and everything arrive no problem, it's just a matter of scooting from the finish line to the hotel to check in quickly in order to get a ground floor room if you are in one of those bed and breakfast style places, particularly Villa Pattis in Vipiteno which had mediocre facilities. In any case, Dolomites next year probably doesn't go through there anyway. The other thing is just only unpack what you need, leave everything else packed up in your bags.
lone rider wrote:Tour of Bright have put out a press realease for this weekends race that its likely to be cancelled yet Letape are saying thier event is most unlikely to be cancelled or postponed. BOM is predicting 45-70mm of rain at Jindabyne on saturday. Absolute madness.
If they keep it going, you'll just have to wear good waterproof cycling kit and ride to the conditions. If it is snowing, then you'll have something to worry about.

Here is a bit of what you might be in for:
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n ... 598641/#/0

I suspect given that, they won't cancel it.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:33 pm

lone rider wrote:Tour of Bright have put out a press realease for this weekends race that its likely to be cancelled yet Letape are saying thier event is most unlikely to be cancelled or postponed. BOM is predicting 45-70mm of rain at Jindabyne on saturday. Absolute madness.
Have a guiy from work (Adelaide) that is over there for it. Looooong way to go to get rained out :o

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Have a guiy from work (Adelaide) that is over there for it. Looooong way to go to get rained out :o
Upside, Bright Brewery is open, and there is not much else to do ;-)