L'etape - Anyone doing it?

ironhanglider

Re: L'etape - Anyone doing it?

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 pm

lone rider wrote:Tour of Bright have put out a press realease for this weekends race that its likely to be cancelled yet Letape are saying thier event is most unlikely to be cancelled or postponed. BOM is predicting 45-70mm of rain at Jindabyne on saturday. Absolute madness.
I'm not sure about madness, road racing is an outdoor sport and the weather isn't always clement.

Besides whilst 45-70mm of rain at Jindabyne isn't good, Bright is expecting up to 300mm which is another level again and will likely lead to flooding and landslides. The biggest danger is from riders getting cold, but they can dress to address that.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 am

The L'Etape riders wanted an experience of the TdF, so they are going to get it:

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... zvv0l.html

110km/h winds as well in Alpine areas along with the heavy rains. So you are getting value for money! I do wonder though if the weather will get severe enough that they will cancel it.
ironhanglider wrote:I'm not sure about madness, road racing is an outdoor sport and the weather isn't always clement.
Racing at club level is often cancelled if it rains.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:44 am

The local forecasts have worsened in the past 24 hours, some expecting 200mm of rain for the area on top of unrideable winds, and they are still content Froome is on his way and will be riding. I've never done this nor am signed up, but from similar types of events the small print is normally no refund due to cancellations. I dont know why they cant change it to Sunday if they are that deperate to run it, they are starting to cop it on social media for thier denial stance. Something very bad could happen here.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am

lone rider wrote:The local forecasts have worsened in the past 24 hours, some expecting 200mm of rain for the area on top of unrideable winds, and they are still content Froome is on his way and will be riding. I've never done this nor am signed up, but from similar types of events the small print is normally no refund due to cancellations. I dont know why they cant change it to Sunday if they are that deperate to run it, they are starting to cop it on social media for thier denial stance. Something very bad could happen here.
If it is that much rain, flooding and 80+km/h wind conditions, then I can't see much other option than to cancel it. There are also possible thunderstorms forecast. I can't see all of that ending well.

They are saying they might change the route, but I can't see that doing much. It would be disappointing for people who've paid money, but I can't see too many people being keen to ride in 150+mm of rain, flooding and 80km/h+ wind conditions.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I’ve ridden in conditions like that. It’s _not_ something i’d be keen to do with strangers/large numbers!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 pm

kb wrote:I’ve ridden in conditions like that. It’s _not_ something i’d be keen to do with strangers/large numbers!
...and I don't think Chris Froome would want to be riding in those conditions with a bunch of strangers either
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:48 pm

queequeg wrote:
kb wrote:I’ve ridden in conditions like that. It’s _not_ something i’d be keen to do with strangers/large numbers!
...and I don't think Chris Froome would want to be riding in those conditions with a bunch of strangers either
Froomey certainly struggles to avoid them...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:25 pm

biker jk wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Froomey certainly struggles to avoid them...
Seems to be doing alright here with pretty decent riders nearby:

I don't really follow Froome or particularly like him, but your bias is a bit over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbaWXTM2bk

How many of you here would even attempt that? He'd run rings around the majority of us for bike handling. We might not always like some of the pro riders, but they can ride and damn well.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Seems to be doing alright here with pretty decent riders nearby:

I don't really follow Froome or particularly like him, but your bias is a bit over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkbaWXTM2bk

How many of you here would even attempt that? He'd run rings around the majority of us for bike handling. We might not always like some of the pro riders, but they can ride and damn well.
Apparently, Froome's descending technique is far from the fastest, despite being quite risky.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/222309 ... ero-sagans

This is the fastest but clearly requires the greatest level of skill (and perhaps ignoring of the considerable risks).

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:15 am

biker jk wrote:This is the fastest but clearly requires the greatest level of skill (and perhaps ignoring of the considerable risks).

Not if you plan to go round corners it's not.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:Racing at club level is often cancelled if it rains.
Indeed but that is often because of lack of attendance. If you haven't already paid to race, and the race isn't anything special, then many people will choose to stay in the warm and dry rather than to go out and get wet and dirty with a higher chance of a crash etc or even to drive all the way out there and have the race called off anyway.
lone rider wrote:The local forecasts have worsened in the past 24 hours, some expecting 200mm of rain for the area on top of unrideable winds, and they are still content Froome is on his way and will be riding. I've never done this nor am signed up, but from similar types of events the small print is normally no refund due to cancellations. I dont know why they cant change it to Sunday if they are that deperate to run it, they are starting to cop it on social media for thier denial stance. Something very bad could happen here.
All races and similar events involve a lot of planning and approvals, along with advertising etc to minimise the impact on the general public, especially when there are road closures involved. If the organisation plans to prevent people from leaving their driveways for several hours on a particular day it is reasonable to give them a chance to plan around that. To change plans at short notice is not fair to them. There will have been a deal of advertising both in terms of signs, letter-box drops and other media to inform people of exactly when and where the route will be. Last minute changes are either limited to keeping things within the advertised route and times, or cancellation. Cancellation sucks for everyone, however life and limb are far more important than money.

It is annoying when you have paid a considerable amount of money for a ride, and prepared, and booked accommodation etc. and then not get to ride. It is a nice part of the world to visit when the weather is nice, and the breweries, wineries and schnappery can help dull the annoyance somewhat, as long as you don't have to be on the roads afterwards.

Cheers,

Cameron