Wheel upgrade. Opinions please

andrich

Wheel upgrade. Opinions please

Postby andrich » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I ride a Giant TCR Advanced SL and currently run Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S wheels.
I am looking to upgrade my wheels but im not sure what to get.
I currently weigh around 90-92 kg so i am on the heavier side. I dont race (but may get into it in the future) but i commute to work during the week and ride on the weekends (usually 100km on a sunday morning to waterfall/RNP). I dont mind having a commuter set and performance pair.
What wheels would people recommend?

I have a budget of around $1000

Tim

Re: Wheel upgrade. Opinions please

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Shimano DA 9000 C24's would be my choice with your budget.
Next time I buy wheels though I'll settle for the cheaper but very similar RS81 C24's at almost half the price.
My old RS80's, almost identical to the above, have clocked up nearly 30,000 km's with no maintenance and no problems.
Still as true as the day I bought them and still a fair amount of brake track left.
I opened the hubs once intending to regrease them at 25K but the grease was still clean fluorescent green so I left them be.
They are very well sealed cup and cone bearings, in my opinion superior to (claimed but poorly) sealed cartridge bearings.

alittlewino

Postby alittlewino » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm a sucker for bespoke and either 25mm or 28mm tyres

don't know where you are but Craftworx do excellent work
=>>> http://craftworx.com.au/craftworx-works ... pairs.html

had a pair trued by Steve after another wheel builder couldn't get the rear right and spoke broken after 1500kms on a bullet proof build

also have a pair of Archetypes that Steve built new for me on my older Campag hubs - bl**dy beautiful wheels and build, straight as and rides so quietly

no association, but excellent workmanship and pricing and with what you have to spend will give you the right advice and get you a superb set of wheels

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 pm

Have a gander on the Bicycle Market on Face Book as you can get some very good buys there. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Tim wrote:Shimano DA 9000 C24's would be my choice with your budget.
I think that's a very good choice as well.

My other Giant (which is a TCR Advanced SL1) is running the standard Giant alloy wheels it came with, and I have to say those have been faultless - though I am only 60kg, so perhaps I'm not experiencing dramas with them that others might have done.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTB99

Postby MTB99 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Andrich

I am going through the same thing at the moment and I think I have set my mind on a set of TWE wheels, I have them on my MTB and they have been faultless, TWE also has a crash replacement warranty these will come under $1000

It will either be TWE or maybe I spend a little more and go for Fulcrum Racing Zeros, however in saying that I don't know if it would worth spending and extra $400 on the Zeros.

http://www.twebikewheels.com.au

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Tim wrote:Shimano DA 9000 C24's would be my choice with your budget.
Next time I buy wheels though I'll settle for the cheaper but very similar RS81 C24's at almost half the price.
My old RS80's, almost identical to the above, have clocked up nearly 30,000 km's with no maintenance and no problems.
Still as true as the day I bought them and still a fair amount of brake track left.
I opened the hubs once intending to regrease them at 25K but the grease was still clean fluorescent green so I left them be.
They are very well sealed cup and cone bearings, in my opinion superior to (claimed but poorly) sealed cartridge bearings.
Another plus for the Shimanos here. The Dura-Ace and RS81 wheels use the same rims, the difference is in the hubs; by far the single biggest price-elevating factor is the titanium freewheel body on the Dura-Ace version vs steel on the RS81. Good cup-&-cone hubs are superior to cartridge bearing types by a fair margin.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Lynton

Postby Lynton » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 pm

I got very good life out of my Campagnolo Eurus which are now 13 years old and still going strong. I only ever broke 1 spoke and that was a drive side rear which was damaged by a chain drop. I have never had to true them and they have a silly amount of km's on them. Yes the Eurus may push your price range but the Neutron is well within and has many of the same features of the Eurus.

The other option is to stick with Mavic and go for the Ksyrium SLS, I have a pair and having no issues so far.

In terms of weight I am currently 85kg but when I was riding the Eurus I had periods where I got up to the mid 90's and they stood up well.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:44 am

I upgraded to C24's from some Campag Zonda's and they were only very marginally better in my opinion...for double the price. Not sure if the $$$ leap was worth it.

andrich

Postby andrich » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks for everyones help and opinion

I did see the C24's they look like a good set and have pretty good reviews. Would they be a worthwhile upgrade over my current Mavic's?
I noticed the C35s aswell. Would they be ok as an everyday wheel? in terms of weight and strength.

cheers

andrich

Postby andrich » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:59 pm

sorry one other thing. Is the only difference between the Dura-Ace and RS81 wheels the hubs? is there a noticeable difference between the two?
i noticed a big price difference but wasnt sure on the actual difference lol

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Are Shimano DA C24s / RS81s rated to 90Kg+???

If they aren't, I'd recommend looking at Fulcrum Racing 1 or Racing Zero - they are solid, dependable and quick wheels.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:37 pm

andrich wrote:Thanks for everyones help and opinion

I did see the C24's they look like a good set and have pretty good reviews. Would they be a worthwhile upgrade over my current Mavic's?
I noticed the C35s aswell. Would they be ok as an everyday wheel? in terms of weight and strength.
I'm using RS81 C35s as an everyday wheel. They don't feel quite as sharp as the Fulcrum Racing 1s I used previously but are comfortable, reliable, and seem to handle better in Melbourne's strong Northerlies (crosswind for me). The main reason I switched was they are much easier to buy front or rear only.

(I can also verify, as of last Wednesday, they stay true when you run into the side of a car at 30kph that turned right right in front of you.)

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 pm

andrich wrote:sorry one other thing. Is the only difference between the Dura-Ace and RS81 wheels the hubs? is there a noticeable difference between the two?
i noticed a big price difference but wasnt sure on the actual difference lol
Yes. The D-A hubs run on a larger diameter axle and harder stainless steel bearings machined to a finer tolerance of roundness, which translates to considerably less friction. The freewheel body has a finer ratchet pitch, so engages a lot quicker than the standard hub, which you notice when you're on & off the power a lot (not so much when you're just cruising along), and it also smooths out the gear shifting, especially under heavier load. The titanium freewheel body takes a fair chunk of weight out from the steel one of other Shimano hubs (and accounts for a large slab of the price premium), without sacrificing durability; a major advantage over aluminium bodies used by other manufacturers.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:32 pm

andrich wrote: I noticed the C35s aswell. Would they be ok as an everyday wheel? in terms of weight and strength.

cheers
I am 95ish kg and have RS81 C35's as my hills wheelset or windy race day wheels and have been trouble free.
Iv'e had to retrue them a couple of times but only minor adjustment ( im a bit anal retentive about straight wheels)
I'll likely buy them again when they wear out.
They were pretty close to the claimed weight (AT) 1650g or so. At my weight its not such a big issues as is reliability.
Free hubs dont get chewed up by cassettes which is a major bonus in my books.

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:55 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on the which wheels to choose between Fulcrum Racing 3 or RS81 C35's.

These will be do everything road wheels to replace my standard RS010's . I'm not a super fast rider but can keep up a 35ish average over 80+ k's (including 700m of elevation). I'm 80ish kg, but do ride on fairly crap roads.

I'd like to give some crit races a crack soon, but at best I would be C grade - certainly nothing to suggest I'd need fancy kit.

I've narrowed my thoughts down to the Fulcrum Racing 3 (tubed version) or the RS81 C35. I'm leaning towards the C35 even though they are $200 more expensive and weigh 140ish grams more only for their reportedly more comfortable ride qualities - but without actually having ridden them who knows if that's BS or not.

Anyone got any thoughts on these options?

Thanks in advance

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

daft1024 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the which wheels to choose between Fulcrum Racing 3 or RS81 C35's.

These will be do everything road wheels to replace my standard RS010's . I'm not a super fast rider but can keep up a 35ish average over 80+ k's (including 700m of elevation). I'm 80ish kg, but do ride on fairly crap roads.

I'd like to give some crit races a crack soon, but at best I would be C grade - certainly nothing to suggest I'd need fancy kit.

I've narrowed my thoughts down to the Fulcrum Racing 3 (tubed version) or the RS81 C35. I'm leaning towards the C35 even though they are $200 more expensive and weigh 140ish grams more only for their reportedly more comfortable ride qualities - but without actually having ridden them who knows if that's BS or not.

Thanks in advance
Comfortable ride qualities? You mean the Princess and the Pea effect?
I don't like the look of the Shimanos. They have nothing going for them at all. Heavy, expensive, too few spokes.
My son has Fulcrum 3s and has never complained about discomfort. And we ride on rough country roads too. He races Club and State A grade and the wheels have never missed a beat.
When I bought them the 3s were $500, 1s were $1000, and zeros $1200. Detective work on my part found the following differences: 1s were double the price and were exactly the same except for about 85 grams .... Zeros are the same wheel as well but they have ceramic bearings.
I recommend the Fulcrum 3s.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:47 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
daft1024 wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on the which wheels to choose between Fulcrum Racing 3 or RS81 C35's.

Thanks in advance
Comfortable ride qualities? You mean the Princess and the Pea effect?
I don't like the look of the Shimanos. They have nothing going for them at all. Heavy, expensive, too few spokes.
My son has Fulcrum 3s and has never complained about discomfort. And we ride on rough country roads too. He races Club and State A grade and the wheels have never missed a beat.
When I bought them the 3s were $500, 1s were $1000, and zeros $1200. Detective work on my part found the following differences: 1s were double the price and were exactly the same except for about 85 grams .... Zeros are the same wheel as well but they have ceramic bearings.
I recommend the Fulcrum 3s.
The Shimano RS81 C35 has exactly the same number of spokes as the Fulcrum 3s, 16 front, 21 rear. With regard to weight, bear in mind you're comparing a 35mm deep rim (front and rear) to a 25mm front and 30mm rear, while the Shimano freehub is steel (and so heavier but more durable). I riding friend of mine, who isn't a whippet, broke a rear-drive side spoke at the flange (and the spokes are straight pull!) on a set of Fulcrim 3s. So no wheelset is perfect.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:59 am

Fulcrum 3s are good. Not requiring rim tape is a definite bonus. I went for the C35s for my current set though. Much easier to buy individual wheels and they have loose bearings. No difference in speed. Feel is tricky, the C35s did feel a fraction more comfortable but I suspect it's more tyre shape due to slightly wider rims. My Fulcrums were from 2012 so that might not be the case now.

[Edit: also easier to find a spoke wrench for the Shimanos but then, the Fulcrums never needed trueing over 3 years of rough riding.]

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm just waiting for my rs81 c35's to arrive. I wanted a mid depth rim and they seemed to present the best value and durability prospects to replace my hand builts (h+son archetypes on Novatec's with sapim lasers 20/24h, 1590g) .. I'll let you know how they go!

I'm not hard on wheels and will try and keep them out of the wet and grit so I hope they'll last a long time.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:49 pm

So far so good.. A short ride today due to the weather but they spin up nicely and hold their speed well. -17 stem clearly needed

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:39 pm

If you get any DA wheels make sure you have a receipt and muliple copies of it because eventually you will run into a problem with them.

JohnAng

Postby JohnAng » Tue May 09, 2017 6:16 pm

not to start a new thread on wheels, i am also looking for a second set of wheels for my 2017 giant propel advanced sl 0.
Was looking at the c35's but also looked at the zipp 202 v3's.
Has anyone compared the 2, or ridden on both to give me their impressions.
My issue with the giant aero wheels is with crosswinds, otherwise i do love them and will still use them.
will use the shallower rims on the windier days, or days where i do more climbing