Giant P-SL1 tyres - worth keeping or upgrade?

trainspotter

Re: Giant P-SL1 tyres - worth keeping or upgrade?

Postby trainspotter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:09 pm

Howzat wrote:If you do upgrade, Conti GP 4000s have better grip and better puncture protection than Gatorskins.
Gatorskins are intended as high km, long wearing tyres.
I once had Gatorskins on my road bike once upon a time, removed them after a very short time because of the lack of feel and grip, and general feeling of nervousness they gave my bike in any conditions. Never will I allow them near any bike of mine again.
Had Schwalbe One's for a bit too (more recently), great grip & feel the first thousand km's, then severe drop off thereafter. Before the Schwalbe's I had Michelin ProRace 3's, and have now fitted ProRace 4 Service Course, and I'll stick with those forever more. Or until Michelin stop offering a tyre with such great feel, comfort, grip, and everything else that goes with it.
As for punctures, they're like London busses. You wait an age for one, then three come along all at once...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:38 am

Considering I commute and do solo rides, and am now looking to do some group rides (27kph group?) I don't need or want a race tyre, I'd rather have less punctures so the Conti GP 4 Season is looking more favourable than the GP4000s. I think a workmate just put a set of the 4 Season on her commuting roadie so I'll keep tabs on how she finds them. But unless I get a whole slew of flat, I'll keep the stock tyres until they wear out (which will be a long time at the rate I ride!)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Mububban wrote:Considering I commute and do solo rides, and am now looking to do some group rides (27kph group?) I don't need or want a race tyre, I'd rather have less punctures so the Conti GP 4 Season is looking more favourable than the GP4000s. I think a workmate just put a set of the 4 Season on her commuting roadie so I'll keep tabs on how she finds them. But unless I get a whole slew of flat, I'll keep the stock tyres until they wear out (which will be a long time at the rate I ride!)
I find the GP4000II's plenty puncture resistant, I've only had 2 penetration punctures (+3 pinch flats on gravel rides) in >6000km. That's been common for various tyres, but you may be much more prone to punctures than me.

The tyres have numerous gouges in them, but that's as far as they got.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:35 pm

I rode GP Four Seasons 28mm a few years back (before you could get 28mm in 4000), and had far more punctures than on 4000s.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 pm

FYI I just rotated my tyres as I noticed the wear indicator on my rear tyre is almost gone. The front is still fine. I've only done ~3500kms on these tyres. I'm not a high mileage rider.
I weigh 65-68kg and typically run 70psi front and 75psi rear for these stock 25mm tyres.

FWIW I've also had 5 punctures in that time - 2 rear and 3 front, caused by:
- 1 x 25mm nail
- 2 x double G
- 1 x metal staple
- one tiny pinprick hole (cause unknown)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I ended up doing about 5000km before destroying my front SL1 tyre while riding through flood debris. Rear specific tyre was reaching the end of life by the indicator anyway. Did seem ok while I had them.

But put a set of GP4000s11's on to replace, loved them until one of the sidewalls looked a it dodgy at about 4500km. Great grip in all conditions. So silly me took the damaged front off and temp fitted my old rear sl1 until a new set of GP4000's arrived.
2nd ride in was wet and took a local corner exactly the same as I had done many occations in the same conditions on the GP4000's. Found myself sliding down the road at 30km/h. Maybe not the best decision to put on a worn rear specific tyre on the front!
Was put straight in the bin and the set of GP4000's fitted once arrived. Haven't gone for any other slides in the next 1000km so far lol.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 pm

chriso_29er wrote:So silly me took the damaged front off and temp fitted my old rear sl1 until a new set of GP4000's arrived.
2nd ride in was wet and took a local corner exactly the same as I had done many occations in the same conditions on the GP4000's. Found myself sliding down the road at 30km/h. Maybe not the best decision to put on a worn rear specific tyre on the front!
After reading your experience, I called the store I bought the bike from and they said it'd be no problem. But I then rang the Giant store in Perth who said no, do not swap the rear to the front. The rear uses a harder compound, so less grip (as you found out on that corner!). Also, the squared off profile is not good on a front tyre.

So looks like I'll be replacing the rear tyre and putting the Giant tyre back on the front!