Goulburn to Sydney Classic 170km (1902-2012)

Derny Driver

Goulburn to Sydney Classic 170km (1902-2012)

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Yes its usually on this weekend or last weekend, but it hasnt been run since 2012 and does not look like being raced again in the near future, or possibly ever. Sad loss of a NSW icon ...but this is not a rant about the demise of road racing in this country.

A friend of mine has done 20 'Goulburns' including the fastest one ever which was 1992 - 175km in 3hrs40 (47kph average). Brett Dutton took fastest that day but my mate got 4th and so holds the 4th fastest time ever in the great race. He loves that race, as do I. My uncle Fred won it in 1953 and my uncle Reg won it in 1954.

Anyway he decided to do the Goulburn to Sydney today as "a memorial". As well as that idea it would be good training for the Masters Nationals held in a few weeks. So today was the day for the Goulburn to Camden MOTORPACED memorial ride. With yours truly on the scooter.

It rained the whole way and we did the 170km in 4hrs 25mins which is about 38.5 kph average. We never set out to break any speed records, just nice and steady. The moto was great for the first 60km of freeway which we did on the rough breakdown lane, then we turned off onto the old Hume Highway and it was light traffic all the way to Picton. I did not pace him up new Razorback or the old Razorback climb, nor on the 2 descents. Camden was quiet as he zipped solo up the main street to the finish as I rode behind with the GoPro. My cyclist friend had good legs at the finish and looks good for the upcoming Nationals. Besides being soaked we both enjoyed the ride.

People may be surprised to know that he did that on 1 and a half bidons of water, 2 gels and 2 muesli bars. If you think riding motorpaced is a walk in the park, try it some time. The moto is relentless, you get no rest, and the speed is always a bit too fast up the inclines, and a bit too slow down them. You never get to ride at the speed you want. I put my new throttle lock to good use today to give my hand a break.

Saw heaps of Police cars and Police motorbikes but they didnt worry about us. Truckies changed lanes on the freeway so they wouldnt buffet us with the wind, very courteous. All drivers were patient and we copped no horns, fingers or head shakes. Says something about the country lifestyle I think.

find_bruce

Re: Goulburn to Sydney Classic 170km (1902-2012)

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Your uncles won it in fine style too, Fred with a solo break & Reg in a break of 2, in those few years when it was a proper scratch race. At least the graded handicap came after was better that the previous chook lotto, but even so, when Dutton smashes 23 minutes off the fastest time & that still wasn't enough to catch c grade, you have to wonder what they were thinking.

Your mate wasn't a bad pedaller either - gold in the commonwealth games road race looks good on the palmarès.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:38 pm

You know your history Bruce. I believe C grade had 24 minutes start on A grade in 92. Dutton and I think 7 or 8 others shed the dead wood in the first few kilometres and set sail with a big tailwind. Eric Larue from France was the big favourite, he got second fastest .... at presentation he couldnt understand why they were giving the prizes to all these other blokes he hadnt seen. He didnt realise it was a handicap, didnt know what a handicap was. He thought he was just racing his group.

My dad and my son have ridden the Goulburn too. i never did and I regret it now.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... andfather/

cheers,
Marcus

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Appearances can be deceiving Marcus - like you I have a soft spot for the Goulburn, so have most of the results to hand. The Canberra Times says there were 8 in the bunch - 7 Aussies (presumably including your kiwi mate :wink: ) and Larue. Sadly that 1992 Goulburn must have been just about the last race of Darren Smith, who your mate nudged into 5th.

The French riders in Australia had a similar view on handicaps back in 1934. Progress was slow, but I am sure you know that all too well.

Cheers Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:44 pm

find_bruce wrote: Sadly that 1992 Goulburn must have been just about the last race of Darren Smith...
I believe it was his last race Bruce