Opinions: Looking for a new Roadie Budget $2500-$3200

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi all,

Though only a couple years under 50yrs old, I'm flexible, have an athletic build and relatively fit. I enjoy cycling for about 9-10mo of the year until it gets too dark/wet/cold to head out early in the am. Height 184cm, weight 88kg.

So about 3 years ago I purchased a Merida Cyclocross 4 as I wanted to purchase a bike I could ride both on road and off road as I do tend to ride off the tarmac at times. I never got around to CX but may do one day (as a Masters!). The Merida Cyclocross 4 is only a 54cm frame so a bit small for me and I'm aiming at something around the 58cm mark now. My inside leg is 86cm.

More of late I tend to do 20-30km rides up the coast three times a week on the tarmac and hope to increase that to 30-50km three times a week and would now like to purchase a roadie. It gets windy here in Perth.

So what to get?

Budget $2500-$3200 or so.

One of these looks nice:

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/ro ... -8046.html

or something from their Scultura range.

If I do get another Merida, it will be shipped in from the East as there are no dealers in WA.

Thoughts, ideas or different brands appreciated.

Derny Driver

Re: Opinions: Looking for a new Roadie Budget $2500-$3200

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:10 am

Its almost impossible to recommend something as everyone's tastes are different. Personally I like to have something that no-one else has, in colours no-one else has. I would never buy a black Giant for instance, but plenty do.
I just bought my son a carbon frame from Italy and will build it up with Ultegra 11 speed mechanical. Will come out at just over 2 grand.
Your budget is right on the mark to get something nice I reckon. Plenty to choose from.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for that. Building my own won't be possible.

What brands should Ibe looking at other than Merida. Merida appear to not be sold widely in WA and I am open to other options and would be after pretty good build quality and later resale too.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Never had such little interest from any post I've made in any forum ever.

Maybe I should post this in another part of the forum or another forum altogether?

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:05 pm

There is a buy a bike forum, probably best for an admin to move this thread rather than you make another thread.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 pm

enduro2 wrote:If I do get another Merida, it will be shipped in from the East as there are no dealers in WA.

Thoughts, ideas or different brands appreciated.

I'd get something they stock locally and get someone to fit you properly this time. Fit is one of the most important things with a road bike. If you're not happy with the fit, keep looking.
You may be able to get a test ride, but don't count on it.
Do you want a race bike, or an endurance bike? You sound like a race bike person so far.
If you're going to take a stab in the dark again with an online purchase, then you might as well look at value brands like Cell, Reid, Polygon etc. If you're going to have a potentially bad fitting bike, you might as well pay less. Also have you thought of secondhand?
If you''re not going to ride it in the rain, then rim brakes should be fine and are usually better value.
Being WA it's probably fairly flat on the coast, so a standard crankset would be fine, rather than a compact.
If you're not racing then an alloy framed bike would probably be easier to live with and usually better value.
No shortage of good brands out there for riding. Just look up a review on a site like bikeradar.com.au, or road.cc before purchase.
When it comes to the "lifetime" frame warranty, Trek are the best from what I've heard and Giant rate well too. Cannondale have their own interpretation of "lifetime" which is the life time of the bike, or whatever they think it should be.
Sorry about no specific brand/model recommendations, but I also build my bikes from framesets.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 am

Lets make some assumptions

You are keeping your Merida Cyclocross 4 (for those offroad days and other fun times)

You are looking for a road bike, to make these early morning rides up the coast easier/faster

You will not regularly be doing long 100km+ rides

You might be tempted to give road racing/criteriums a go with a masters club

You prefer to buy new from a bike shop who will service your bike as you do not have the expertise to buy 2nd hand or carry out more than basic maintenance on your bike.

Most road bikes fit three categories, endurance, aero or "race".

You don't need an endurance bike ( read Scott Solace, Giant Defy and I believe Merida Ride) because you are not doing the distance requires and are more interested in speed over comfort.

Aero (ie Scott Foil, Giant Propel, Merida Reacto), built with speed in mind, very aerodynamic and very stiff, some might say harsh ride. I enjoy riding this type of bike the most, you step on the pedals and it goes.

Race (ie Scott Addict, Giant TCR, Merida Scultura, not so fast as an aero bike, but a more comfortable ride.

Seriously you need to take a couple of different aero and "race" bikes for a test ride, to find out what type you would prefer.

At your price point it is Ultegra, though you might find a Campagnolo or SRAM equipped bike, test ride it to see if you like.

Currently end of year/model run out, might get one around $2k

Size ,ride both an M and a L if possible. A CX bike is different in geometry to a road bike, your bars will be a couple of cms higher on a CX compared to a road bike.

I am same height as you, I ride/race a small 535mm TT, albeit with 130mm stem.

Brands, nothing wrong with Merida (though the do save money with cranksets and sometimes brakes and they are sold by BikeForce, so fine your local store.

Try a few other brands/stores, find a bike you like and store you can work with.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 pm

enduro2 wrote:Opinions: Looking for a new Roadie Budget $2500-$3200
If I do get another Merida, it will be shipped in from the East as there are no dealers in WA.

There is a dealer in Fremantle http://www.mercercycles.com.au/
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:29 pm

SquareWheels wrote:

Thank you for that, I had no idea this store even existed ... didn't turn up in my searches and the only "dealer" mentioned on the Merida website is actually a bike hire company.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Thank you Nickobec for your excellent response and opening me up to the Scott and Giant alternative. The Scott Foil looks good and I may get one if it's the right feel and price.

Seems in Perth the greatest challenge is finding stores that actually have these bikes in stock rather than waiting for them to order them in.

Weird that I can't order a bike from another state due to supplier lock downs but LBS can order one and charge the earth for it.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 pm

enduro2 wrote:Thank you Nickobec for your excellent response and opening me up to the Scott and Giant alternative. The Scott Foil looks good and I may get one if it's the right feel and price.

Seems in Perth the greatest challenge is finding stores that actually have these bikes in stock rather than waiting for them to order them in.

Weird that I can't order a bike from another state due to supplier lock downs but LBS can order one and charge the earth for it.

Sounds like a double whammy over there. WA 'tax' on top the the Australia 'tax'.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:18 am

The hardest part of this may be to forecast your future riding needs. Plenty of people start with rolling up and down then Coast, turn to River Loops before then being a regular in the Hills. Each extends the time in the saddle and your choice now could allow for these future options ... depending entirely on your future interests and expenditures.

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:00 pm

I do hope to have the time to do some longer rides and a correctly sized bike built for purpose will help me be able to achieve that.

I just accepted a great offer on a 2017 REACTO 7000-E and hope the 56cm that's just been ordered will be big enough. The 54cm was a bit on the smaller side.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 am

enduro2 wrote:I do hope to have the time to do some longer rides and a correctly sized bike built for purpose will help me be able to achieve that.

I just accepted a great offer on a 2017 REACTO 7000-E and hope the 56cm that's just been ordered will be big enough. The 54cm was a bit on the smaller side.

Nice. 52-36 and 11-28 would probably kill me on hills but I am super skinny. Looks like a great bike, enjoy!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 am

enduro2 wrote:
SquareWheels wrote:

Thank you for that, I had no idea this store even existed ... didn't turn up in my searches and the only "dealer" mentioned on the Merida website is actually a bike hire company.

bikeforce morley stock a large range of Merida

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:16 am

tallywhacker wrote:
enduro2 wrote:
SquareWheels wrote:

bikeforce morley stock a large range of Merida

Thanks for that, unfortunately their online store shows zip of what I was after. Maybe I should have called them. Called a few stores around town (4-5) and they don't have my sizing in anything close.

I ended up going South of the river but still have to wait 4 weeks for delivery. Great price though!

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:39 am

Mububban wrote:
enduro2 wrote:I do hope to have the time to do some longer rides and a correctly sized bike built for purpose will help me be able to achieve that.

Nice. 52-36 and 11-28 would probably kill me on hills but I am super skinny. Looks like a great bike, enjoy!

My current set of wheels, a Merida Cyclo 4 has 46-36 and 12-27 is fine for me on WA coastal rides North and south of Scarborough WA which has relatively flat (7-10m undulations).

I'm interested in comments on the Reacto gear set - I am a newb!