West Head Today

rogan

West Head Today

Postby rogan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:24 am

Riding up McCarrrs Creek Rd this morning, we saw 5 ambulances, 3 fire trucks and a police car, all with sirens/disco lights going.

Someone said there had been a bad crash at the West Head race. I hope all end up OK and recover well.

Anyone know more? And why fire trucks?
Last edited by rogan on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Re: West Head Today

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:10 am

rogan wrote:Riding up McCarrrs Creek Rd this morning, we saw 5 ambulances, 3 fire trucks and a police car, all with sirens/disco lights going.

Someone said there had been a bad crash at the West Head race. I hope end up OK and recover well.

Anyone know more? And why fire trucks?
I hope everyone is okay. :shock:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Here's hoping he recovers.

Media Release Archive

Cyclist injured - Ku Ring Gai Chase

Sunday, 11 December 2016 10:41:09 AM

A man has been taken to hospital following a crash in the Ku Ring Gai National Park today.

Police from the Northern Beaches Local Area Command were called to West Head Road, Ku Ring Gai, following reports that a cyclist had crashed about 8.30am today (Sunday 11 December 2016).

Police have been told that the cyclist was travelling along West Head Road when he lost control on a bend.

The cyclist was treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics before being transported to Royal North Shore Hospital.

He is currently in a serious condition suffering a head injury.

Officers from Northern Beaches Local Area Command were contacted and have commenced and investigation into the incident.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

https://goo.gl/qHTUpD

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:24 pm

My crew was on the first fire truck sent to this incident today. Fire trucks go for many reasons- many of the calls we get for cyclists crashed on west head involve cars and if there's a car crash you need a fire truck. Also there's manpower with first aid skills, plus some other reasons that I'd rather not go into while the riders are still in hospital.

Hope he/they make a quick recovery.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:14 am

C grade, don't know the details.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 am

i believe it was part of the Manly Warringah crit.
there were a couple of riders who went down (some said 3?) hence multiple ambulances were required.
it was not far from the junction of west-head road-akuna bay.
all the emergency services were there - ambos, cops, fire brigade.

west head road was closed for 30-45 mins when the ambos attended to the riders. 100-150 cyclists (including club racers) waited patiently for the road to be re-opened to exit the national park. our group was among them. it was all done in a very controlled coordinated manner. kudos to the club for handling the situation so well.

1 of cyclists was airlifted to the hospital (we could all see and hear the helicopter taking off but not sure where it landed!??).

not entirely sure how the accident occurred but i saw 1 of the damaged bikes and half the front wheel was bent/buckled (!) :shock:

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Manly Warringah Cycling Club (via facebook)
Rider Update - Just a brief update on the injured rider, Chris Hodgkinson from yesterdays crash. Chris underwent a multi hour surgery last night to repair some of the damage caused by the crash. We will now have to wait a few days before we can provide a further update on his condition, which has certainly improved from when he left the scene. Proving that not all super heroes wear capes - the first aid responders did a magnificent job in testing conditions but their work has certainly aided in Chris' recovery. Club member Justin Diddams was one of those miracle workers and that man should never pay for a coffee on a coffee ride again. Our thoughts are certainly with Chris and his family and we will provide further info later in the week as it becomes available. Thanks to all those who have sent their thoughts.
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 am

+1 to the comments above in the quoted facebook post. The first aid and or medical people are the unsung heroes of racing (along with all the other volunteers).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:12 am

ft_critical wrote:C grade, don't know the details.
I did find out more about the accident yesterday. Really awful, the injuries sustained by one of the riders were absolutely horrific.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:
ft_critical wrote:C grade, don't know the details.
I did find out more about the accident yesterday. Really awful, the injuries sustained by one of the riders were absolutely horrific.
Yes me too, but not for public sharing. It did make me question my own race programme because I am not a bike racer, I am a banker and a father.