A nice surprise.

For Roadies

A nice surprise.

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 pm

Better get this out there, it may never happen again :lol: .

Raced Sunday morning crit with Macarthur CCC yesterday. Crit races are held at Smeaton Grange a 2km flat circuit with tight turns at either end and a dog leg in the middle.

I'm racing D grade 30mins + 3 laps.

Rolled out and headed straight for the front as had been advised by Kev who also races out there. Towards the front is the best place to be because of the tight turns there, you sit at the back and it can be a slow death as the front runners sprint out of the turns and you slowly but surely get dropped. I know this from first hand experience.

Anyway stayed near the lead for most of the race, taking my turns at the front and covering any moves and hanging on to any surges. With 3 laps to go the group had been whittled down to 7, I'm 2nd wheel, the guy at the front has slowed the pace a fair bit so I take the lead.

With 2 laps to go the guy who won our last crit race launches a big attack. A young guy goes with him and another 2 guys go past me. 1st to 5th just like that. I surge but it doesn't make much impression and I'm not feeling great now. The 2 off the front have a clear gap with 2 more chasing but not together. I'm close to the guy in 4th so I aim to try and get his wheel and gradually I pull him back. I'm thinking top 2 is gone but maybe 3rd is still possible.

So I'm drafting 4th and clearly the guy in 3rd is coming back to us and pretty soon we've got him. Into the last lap and the 3 of us are starting to bring back the first 2, they've gone too hard too early. Halfway through the last lap they sit up and wait for us, 2 becomes 5 and the pace drops alarmingly. I urge the others to up the tempo again, we'd dropped 2 from the group lets not let them back on with only half a lap to go.

The guy who made the initial move responds straight away and ups the ante again. The young fella who went with him the first time can't go with us, he's spent. Now there's only 4.

Into the last turn and flying out and another has dropped off, the guy who finished 2nd last race and who has beaten me consistantly this year, sat up before the turn. I grab the wheel of the leader and look back to see we've put a gap in 3rd place too. This is great I think to myself, I've never finished in the top 5 now I'm assured of at least 2nd.

The guy leading out is a good young rider who's destined for C grade so it's gonna be tough to get past him. Heading into the dog leg that takes us into the final straight I opt to duck under him but as I do he sits up and pulls to the right anyway thus leaving me to sprint to the finish unchallenged :? .

Maybe he was looking to stay in D grade a little longer, maybe he was outta gas I really don't know, but it didn't stop it from feeling good crossing the line 1st. Some pocket money an added bonus :D .

I wasn't even going to race on Sunday, my wife went out Saturday night and was planning to stay at her friends house so I was meant to be babysitting Sunday morning.

A knock at the door at 2 in the morning and she'd changed her mind, so I set the alarm and got up early and raced. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

by BNA » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm

BNA

Postby zozza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Congrats on the win Chuck, I enjoyed your recap, very exciting :) 8)
zozza

Postby chris641 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Very well done! Must be good to get that winning feeling
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team
chris641

Postby Spiza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeh well done Chuck. Hopefully one of many.
Spiza

Postby thepj » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:21 pm

nice work man. story acctully made me sit up and read
Cannondale Prophet | 2011 Merida Sculpture 904 | 2007 giant crx4*Gone* | 2004 RALEIGH*Gone*
thepj

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Cheers guys. It's not like it's Paris Roubaix (or C grade even) but it still felt great :D
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:36 am

maybee he thought you should be destined for C?!...nice one!.
toolonglegs

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:27 am

Ah, well done mate.

Must have been that timely advice I gave you :wink:

I'm impressed that you managed to outsprint James, even if he did sit up at the end. He normally flies in that last 1/4 lap.

Just remember that you won't be forced up a grade until the Summer Series starts in a couple of weeks. The races on now are just to fill in the gaps and get everyone back in the groove of crit racing.

I won't be there for this Sundays race, so good luck to you in that one (if you go, that is), but I will be there the following week.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby Hebden » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:50 am

Great work Chuck.

Your report makes the whole Crit experience sound quite exciting. Sounded like a solid win to me, other riders being dropped but you hung in there!
Hebden

Postby sandman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:43 am

Chucky

Awesome ride buddy, thats what races are made of. Its just sheer tenacity and mongrel that gets you through the tough times and when you find that there are only 3-4 with you in the final bunch and a real chance of a "Podium finnish", its amazing what you can dig up when pushed :-)

Great ride Chuck, more power to you !

Pete
sandman

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Nice work.

Winning breeds confidence.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Top effort Chuck and a good read. First of many.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby rob e » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Great Stuff ! 8)
rob e

Postby bmxbandito » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:15 am

Awesome ride Chuck good to see you so stoked on racing.I knew footpath racing would come in handy eventually.Just remember HTFU bands make chasing a lot easier :)
cheers Jeff
bmxbandito

Postby Chuck » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 am

bmxbandito wrote:Just remember HTFU bands make chasing a lot easier :)

Still haven't qualified for one yet Jeff :oops: . Might be deserving after OBR is conquered :lol: .
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby der Ungar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Great work, Chuck - congratulations! Great read, too.
I might be paranoid, but it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me.
08 Orbea Dauphine
der Ungar

Return to Road Biking