Cycling Clubs in Sydney

Kiwicyclist

Cycling Clubs in Sydney

Postby Kiwicyclist » Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 am

Hi guys, after some recommendations for cycling clubs in Sydney. I'm fairly new to Aussie so looking for something a little social as well. Looking for a club my wife can join with me, we're both late 20's- she's after somewhere that will do women specific rides so she can build up to a race back home in November (160km) but she is definitely at beginner level as has only been in a couple of bunch rides. I've been riding about four years and done a number of races, comfortable in a bunch and looking for somewhere that will push me with regular rides/races etc.

ADF_Sutto

Re: Cycling Clubs in Sydney

Postby ADF_Sutto » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Which part of Sydney are you living in? North shore, northern beaches, eastern suburbs, etc? There are a lot of clubs around.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Also what type of racing do you do?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 05, 2017 7:51 am

As suggestion, your location will general guide you as is suggested. As a club member you can join other Cycling Australia races from other clubs. The schedule of racing will vary between clubs - some have more frequent races than others and there can be different styles. I assume road racing so closed circuit Criteriums are fairly common but on some courses you have long circuits while long distance stage style racing is less common for regular club events.

Here are the (various) Cycling Clubs in New South Wales.

Because of insurance issues, club rides are usually inofficial and not formal club rides. For club riders, there is a lot of mixed bunch rides - in my experience they may be male dominated groups but as club rides they are also supportive. SuVelo is really the only club where I spot all-women bunch rides and they usually have a good pace so I don't know how suited they would be for beginners.

There are a number of women's bunches which are not associated with clubs and formed through social and work connections.
Cycling is in my BNA

Kiwicyclist

Postby Kiwicyclist » Fri May 05, 2017 11:06 am

Alexandria, so anywhere eastern suburbs or close to the CBD. Thanks guys

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Randwick Botney Cycling Club
Sydney Cycling Club
Easts
Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club
Survlo

Dulwich Hill also has all woman's rides
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

vander

Postby vander » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 pm

I am at SUVelo so totally biased but I really like the atmosphere around SUVelo there is a good mix of riders and there is a push to get more women involved at the moment.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Sydney Cycling Club... I love the club, lots of really great people, lots of women riders, social events, tours, super cheap group coaching and the best club kit
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian