Cycling in the Zone

HausFinch

Re: Cycling in the Zone

Postby HausFinch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 am

Back when I was a competitive high school runner, the rhythm of running could put you in a very focused but relaxed state, while remaining at a high level of exertion. I remember one time when someone on a balcony above the street shouted explosively at me as I passed under them, trying to spook me. I registered the sound but didn't flinch or break stride or change my head or eye position. I heard them say after I passed "Now that's a runner."

Lately I've debated whether or not I could benefit from a heart rate monitor to get more out of my riding, or at least understand in quantifiable terms my output level. (I'm usually a few decades behind the curve in technology so forget about the power meter.) But then I tell myself that staring at the tiny computer screen is not how I want to ride.

Often times when I think, "Wow I'm in the zone now," turns out I'm just being pushed by a tailwind. Tailwinds are the best! Everything seems to be flying by silently, with so little effort.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I only check my HR occasionally when riding but will look at it over different segments of the ride, when I'm finished. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am

Running, cycling whichever, I aim to get into the zone and what it is exactly I don't know.

My feekinging is that it's a realtionship between required 02 intake, available carbs and exertion.

Certainly there is a mental component it as well.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:22 pm

HausFinch wrote: Lately I've debated whether or not I could benefit from a heart rate monitor to get more out of my riding, or at least understand in quantifiable terms my output level. (I'm usually a few decades behind the curve in technology so forget about the power meter.) But then I tell myself that staring at the tiny computer screen is not how I want to ride.
Late back to this one, but my feeling is if you have to look at, think about and focus on numbers, you're not in The Zone; you're more likely in a losing battle trying to find it. When you're in The Zone, you just know; numbers are irrelevant. You're focused, without thinking about focusing. You're riding hard, but you just know by feel that you're at a level you can hold for as long as you need. You don't think about shifting gears, you just do it as the load changes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.