UCI Approved Wheels Required?

DaveQB

UCI Approved Wheels Required?

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 am

Hi,

I am new to the sport. I have a few Flo wheels and really like them. I recently came across the information that you need to have UCI approved wheels for any UCI affiliated bunch start races. As I am enjoying Time Trials, this is less of an issue but I have entered in a few crits and road races recently too. I haven't been turned away due to my Flo wheels. Will this be an issue? Do I need to consider wheels on the UCI list? I have a Cycling Australia Race licence. Is it correct my CA licence insurance will not cover any expenses that may come from my wheels hurting someone else?

Thanks.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: UCI Approved Wheels Required?

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am

You are correct in that there are rules about what wheels you may use in mass start races. This is the list and importantly accompanying notes:
http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

As to enforcement, like many such things it will be variable depending on commissaire knowledge and importantly, resources for the race on the day. A local race comm will typically have more important things to be concerned with.

As to insurance risks - well who can really say?

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks Alex. I guess I've got something to consider. I have picked up a Zipp 404 set. Of the 8 wheels I have, they're the only ones UCI approved. I was going to sell them. Bugger.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am

That's the most recent addition PDF, not the complete list. You'll notice there's only 1 Zipp/Sram wheel on there for example.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 am

Ive never seen wheels checked for a road race ever ... you wouldn't get away with using something obvious like tri spokes but as for the UCI list, no. Half the riders are on Chinese carbons with fake stickers. The UCI's attempt to get into bed with the big wheel manufacturers has failed as it is almost unenforceable. As Alex said, the commissaires have other things to worry about. Ive heard the chief Comm at State Opens tell the other comms not to bother with trying to check riders clothing against the 'approved' list too.
Accident reports are filled in days later and I doubt a non UCI wheel would be even noticed let alone acted on.
Use your Flos with confidence. If you are worried, change the stickers.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Derny.
I suspected this might the case but with no experience, I didn't know. I'd like to use my 60 front and 90 rear Flo set. Is the rear 90 going to draw attention and be a problem, with big red "Flo" stickers?

Thanks guys!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am

DaveQB wrote:Thanks Derny.
I suspected this might the case but with no experience, I didn't know. I'd like to use my 60 front and 90 rear Flo set. Is the rear 90 going to draw attention and be a problem, with big red "Flo" stickers?

Thanks guys!
I highly doubt anyone will notice or care. I would use the wheels without a second thought.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 am

Derny Driver wrote:
DaveQB wrote:Thanks Derny.

Thanks guys!
I highly doubt anyone will notice or care. I would use the wheels without a second thought.
Thanks Derny