3-day license

Nikolai

3-day license

Postby Nikolai » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Anyone knows if I can race state and national championships with a 3-day license?

RobertL

Re: 3-day license

Postby RobertL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Nikolai wrote:Anyone knows if I can race state and national championships with a 3-day license?
Yeah - you can't. Full race membership allows you to do so: http://membership.cycling.org.au/Packages/Racing

Day memberships do not: https://eventdesq.sportstg.com/index.cf ... OrgID=4912

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm

OK, thanks. Now that I read it again, it makes sense. The 'promoter events' confused me the first time, national and state events, I think, are outside of the 'promoter events'.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 pm

1 and 3 day memberships are good for the fun events, club racing, sportives etc. "Serious" events require a full licence.

A couple of years ago I briefly thought about the possibility of riding a Paracycling event (tandem pilot) which was going to be reasonably nearby. When it turned out that in order to race I'd need to get a full licence and a red helmet it meant that the 'entry fee' was somewhere north of $400, for an event that I/we wouldn't even have been competitive in, it was somewhat of a disincentive.

In the past there have been 1/2 price licences for the latter half of the year. Not sure if it is still the case.

Cheers,

Cameron

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 pm

ironhanglider wrote:it meant that the 'entry fee' was somewhere north of $400
Yeah I know, it's one reason I don't get a licence anymore. I'm interested in 4-5 road races per year, paying a full licence for this doesn't make sense.

The half-year licence still exists though, I might take it, thought I could get away with a $50 3-day hack.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 pm

If you have been a member of Cycling Australia at any point then they won't let you get a day or 3 day licence. It's a stupid rule, but stupid seems to be par for the course at CA.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 pm

ldrcycles wrote:If you have been a member of Cycling Australia at any point then they won't let you get a day or 3 day licence.
I didn't know that. I'm sure if they had something like 10-events option, a lot of people would sign up. Paying $300 to ride a bunch of crits is silly.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Cycling Australia is STILL NOT LISTENING......

MTBA offer 8-week trial, as well as quarter/full year licences. CA, for some inexplicable reason - known only to themselves do not.

Oh, they did introduce a 6-month licence this year - June-Dec - but how does this assist people who may wish to race in the warmer months, ie Sep-thru-February, etc, etc...

They wonder why so many people are opting out of club racing, yet provide garbage licensing choices - at premium prices...GRRR...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 am

Agree completely, CA would generate more money if they offered more options, most of the races I do are in the first half of the year so a half year lic is useless to me.
This year I decided they can shove their $300 to race a half dozen races and went fishing instead.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 pm

In addition, to race at championship events you need to check eligibility requirements. e.g. it is common for various events that you need to have been a fully licenced and financial member of club or state squad for at least 2 months prior to the event. The specific eligibility requirement does depend on the level of event (national v state) and the event type (team v individual).

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:53 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:In addition, to race at championship events you need to check eligibility requirements. e.g. it is common for various events that you need to have been a fully licenced and financial member of club or state squad for at least 2 months prior to the event. The specific eligibility requirement does depend on the level of event (national v state) and the event type (team v individual).
This is news to me, the 2 months rule. Our state road race is in September and national in October, so I guess it can work if I get the licence in July. What bothers me though is that this kind of information is burried somewhere out of plain sight. Try searching for 'licence' on CA website and you get the 'No Results Found' result. Nice.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:In addition, to race at championship events you need to check eligibility requirements. e.g. it is common for various events that you need to have been a fully licenced and financial member of club or state squad for at least 2 months prior to the event. The specific eligibility requirement does depend on the level of event (national v state) and the event type (team v individual).
This is news to me, the 2 months rule. Our state road race is in September and national in October, so I guess it can work if I get the licence in July. What bothers me though is that this kind of information is burried somewhere out of plain sight. Try searching for 'licence' on CA website and you get the 'No Results Found' result. Nice.
It's in the technical regulations for CA and each state, no different to all the other rules governing the running of bike races.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:Agree completely, CA would generate more money if they offered more options, most of the races I do are in the first half of the year so a half year lic is useless to me.
This year I decided they can shove their $300 to race a half dozen races and went fishing instead.
These idiots wouldn't know what friggin day of the week it is, the same as C QLD! :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Stoopid CA inflexibility has discouraged me from getting into racing.... I could only do the odd race so I'd buy a 5 or 10 entry pack for sure
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm

schroeds wrote:I could only do the odd race so I'd buy a 5 or 10 entry pack for sure
Maybe we should petition them. I think they have a new boss.

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:31 pm

ironhanglider wrote:it meant that the 'entry fee' was somewhere north of $400
Nikolai wrote:Yeah I know, it's one reason I don't get a licence anymore. I'm interested in 4-5 road races per year, paying a full licence for this doesn't make sense.
The half-year licence still exists though, I might take it, thought I could get away with a $50 3-day hack.
Same reason why I haven't paid for the gold licence the last few years. I'd much prefer just paying an additional day rate for the few races I'm able/want to do each year... Start listening CA!
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2