Best places to ride in Aus

contador7

Best places to ride in Aus

Postby contador7 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 am

Hi there!

I'll be coming to Australia from Europe soon. I'd like to keep doing road cycling while in here so, I would like to ask which places do you think are best for road cycling? Meaning quality of the road, not many cars, some climbs, etc.

I will be coming on a work visa but with no work so I'm free to move places according to suggestions, that's why I'm asking for recommendations!

Only thing I know about cycling & australia is the tour down under so any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as how to find clubs/ group rides within the area, etc.

Many thanks!

g-boaf

Re: Best places to ride in Aus

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:42 am

contador7 wrote:Hi there!

I'll be coming to Australia from Europe soon. I'd like to keep doing road cycling while in here so, I would like to ask which places do you think are best for road cycling? Meaning quality of the road, not many cars, some climbs, etc.

I will be coming on a work visa but with no work so I'm free to move places according to suggestions, that's why I'm asking for recommendations!

Only thing I know about cycling & australia is the tour down under so any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as how to find clubs/ group rides within the area, etc.

Many thanks!
If you can make it down to Thredbo (drive), ride the Alpine Way from Thredbo out to Khancoban and back. If you are used to European climbs then this will be no trouble for you. Around 150km, 4200m+. There are cars, but not that many. Road quality is okay, but not as good as the European climbs I did recently (Gardena, Sella, Lavaze, Valles, Costalunga, Penserjoch, Renon Plateau, etc). There are a lot more potholes here in comparison and the roads are often a real patchwork of different surfaces. Those ones I mentioned in Europe felt so smooth in comparison to here.

Otherwise, we'd need to know what city you'll be in.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 am

it depends where you are coming to. Australia is pretty big, although you'll hear that helpful advice from every 2nd Aussie when you get here. if you are coming to Melbourne, there is no 'good' riding as it's a busy city with too many cars. but within riding distance are the northern hills, extending from Eltham out to Kinglake and beyond. out east are the Dandenong Ranges, which have heaps of routes, some with busier traffic than others.

if you are willing to venture beyond Melbourne, there is no limit on riding options. the best riding is in the Alpine region - which extends north into NSW and g-boaf described. an ideal location to base yourself in Vic is the town of Bright, from where you can easily reach the mountains of Hotham, Falls Creek and Buffalo. low traffic and tons of options.

Bright Velo, a cafe in Bright operated by a former champion, holds bunch rides. you will find the details at the cafe.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 am

Oh yes, the traffic here will be really aggressive compared to what is in Europe.

I think Bright does sound like the best option as Jules mentioned if you can get there. Another option south of Sydney is Berry (look up Queen Street, Berry on Google maps).

A good option for staying there if you need to is Berry Inn- comfortable rooms and you can ride Berry Mountain, Wattamolah and back to Berry loop or even head out to Fitzroy Falls. The road quality down there is terrible in my opinion with seriously bad potholes and broken up road surface or worse, gravel/dirt surface in other places. But the climbs are good though and the descent back into Berry from Woodhill is very fast. But it is a great place for training rides because you only ride about 2-3km from Berry and you are already at the start of the climbs. If I ride down there I book a room and stay for the weekend.

doyouevenbike

Postby doyouevenbike » Mon May 28, 2018 11:59 am

Brisbane is pretty good for riding, both around the city itself and just outside.

Plenty of different terrain depending on if you favour climbing or not.

Some good spots

1. Mt Cootha
2. Mt Nebo / Mt Glorious
3. Brisbane River Loop
4. 3 fingers
5. Mt Tambourine (on the Gold Coast)

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Canberra is worth considering, purely based on bike riding. Good cycling infrastructure, and lots of good rides within striking distance. Plenty of great days rides around the city. Also, it is within 2 hours drive of the NSW side of the snowy mountains, where there lots of great rides on quiet country roads. Canberra may or may not be the best place to live for other reasons.

Tasmania also has some fantastic quiet areas to ride. However, like the snowy mountains it is more a destination to go and do some riding, not so good to live or work there.

The large capitals, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are busier, less cycling infrastructure, aggressive drivers etc. However, all have quieter semi-rural areas on the outskirts and hinterland that can make great rides.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 28, 2018 10:18 pm

A lot depends on what time of year you are going to be here, summer in Perth or Adelaide, lots of days over 35C, a few over 40C. winter in Tasmania or Victorian ski country cold and wet.

Do you just want to ride road? Would you like to mtb, cx, track, bikepacking on or off road? Would you like to race? Single day or multi day events?

For example in October in south west WA, big 4 day/ 4 stage MTB event Cape to Cape about 800 riders, recover for 2 weeks, race a pro am stage road race Tour of Margaret River over 4 days with 500 others (will need to find a team, but that should not be hard).

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:If you can make it down to Thredbo (drive), ride the Alpine Way from Thredbo out to Khancoban and back.
Won't recommend riding in the NSW or Vic Alps till mid to late October. Snow and snow traffic plus bicycles being allowed on resort roads at the discretion of the person at the entrance station would be the main concerns.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Just realized this is a topic from last September so see how the Thredbo comment was valid then... Guessing contador7 has been and possibly left Australia since the OP, but given they haven't posted since we may never know!

Edited for speeling :wink:
Last edited by dalai47 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 pm

dalai47 wrote:Just realized this is a topic from last September so see how the Thredbo comment was valid then... Guessing contador7 has been and possibly left Australia since the OP, but given they haven't posted since we may never now!
No worries. :)