Has anyone else had trouble joining CA?

thecaptn

Has anyone else had trouble joining CA?

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi all,
I want to get into road racing so I phoned my local club and they said to just show up on race day and sort out the memberships, I do that and an official says that you have to obtain your licence from CA online from now on. I tried on my phone, no good, an official tried on his phone and again no luck so we figure that CA's software can't do phones and therefore my friend and I couldn't race(his licence has expired). I'd need to access a desk top which I can do at the library during the week. Can't do it on the desktop because I'd already failed on the phone and their software had a fit about some information having been applied once before, no problem just reset it with my email address, next problem is that they can't recognise my email so I'm locked out. I've emailed them to ask for help but I can't do any more than that.
I'm quite frustrated because I'm wasting more time on this than I think it should take and I can't imagine why it should be so hard.
Peter

RobertL

Re: Has anyone else had trouble joining CA?

Postby RobertL » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 pm

I've only ever done it using a desktop PC and had no problems, so I'm not much help.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

RobertL wrote:I've only ever done it using a desktop PC and had no problems, so I'm not much help.
I suppose most people would have that type of internet connection but not here in Tassie, we can't get phone line internet and the mobile internet service is too expensive and unreliable. My mate has been racing for nearly 60years and can't use computers, I'm not sure he even has an email address. CA's approach doesn't accommodate for everyone, inclusiveness probably isn't on their agenda.

A_P

Postby A_P » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

FYI : You can still download and print out a registration form.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:38 pm

A_P wrote:FYI : You can still download and print out a registration form.
Good tip!
I'll try to swing by the library tomorrow and have a crack at that.
I wonder if this is how the clubs used to sign people up?

jarrodcurrie

Postby jarrodcurrie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

Regarding the paper form- I hope you're in no rush to get out there and start racing. I've applied for a family membership this year (2 kids now U15, so the 20% family discount is quite substantial), which can only be done via a manual form. 4 weeks later and it's still not processed. Had a number of discussions assuring that it's still in line to be processed, but it's getting beyond a joke.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm

jarrodcurrie wrote:Regarding the paper form- I hope you're in no rush to get out there and start racing. I've applied for a family membership this year (2 kids now U15, so the 20% family discount is quite substantial), which can only be done via a manual form. 4 weeks later and it's still not processed. Had a number of discussions assuring that it's still in line to be processed, but it's getting beyond a joke.
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope it gets sorted eventually.
A friend of mine picked up a form for me from a club race. I'm lead to believe that the form and payment can be made(at events held by sympathetic clubs) and that you can race on the day. I'll find out soon if this is indeed the case.
Someone today told me that CA is subsided by the Federal Government? If this is the case there might be an argument for a public audit. They're only able to get away with substandard practice due to their monopoly. I feel ripped off having to pay for them once let alone twice.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 pm

This got me interested.
Just went through the exercise of a dummy application on my phone and it seemed to OK until I bailed out?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 pm

The race official couldn't put in the date of birth, that took me a couple of goes. The second time I tried I got through the personal data, pressed next and got stuck on a page that listed some of the membership options with no way out forwards or backwards.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Sorted it out. Phoned them directly and was fortunate enough to get a sympathetic wage slave. Turns out that a membership with Audax a few years ago was the problem.