Eastern Creek 26-10-08

For Roadies

Eastern Creek 26-10-08

Postby zozza » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:35 pm

The Waratah VCC held racing at the eastern creek raceway today. I went to watch the races a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed so I decided to rock up today and have a go. I signed up to ride in D Grade, being only my second race, and was told I'd have to race in C Grade. So I thought to myself ok, have a go and dont worry if you get left behind, just enjoy it. :D We got underway and a group of about 10 guys established their positions up the front of the pack. I felt more comfortable riding with these guys as they seemed to be more predictable and safe to ride in close proximity with. The plan was to not get any further back than about 8-10 riders so I stayed focussed and managed to stay with the front group for the entire race. I dont really know what panned out at the rear but Hey, Who cares? I kinda realised who were the better guys to sit behind and it was great, I found my self on the brakes often, being tucked behind some guy while he's pedalling like mad down the straight and I'm just sitting there rolling :D . But I certainly didn't bludge and made sure they saw my number in front and often. Once at the inclines at the back I noticed all the guys out of the saddle while I had no difficulty putting down a little extra power while seated. Half way and a couple of guys made a big effort for the sprint but the rest sat back and kept the tempo up. Next few laps saw the speed fluctuate a lot with some big efforts on the inclines, I'm presuming it was to drop some guys, but I wasn't taking any of it. With two to go I was with the front three all the way around. One lap to go and the pace slows and we get around the first corner and at the first hill I get out of the saddle and made a gap of about 50 meters, sit down go steady to the next couple of inclines and then went hard again to the big right hander. I had made quite a gain and was alone in front by about 100m but felt like crap and knew I'd pushed too hard up the last hill, so i'm thinking do I slow a little and try to recover while the bunch will be pushing hard or go for broke and come a feeble dead last rolling down the straight while about 40 guys pass me :? Anyway I remember what sandman said to me about the other guy hurting as well, so I decide to go all out 8) though my output was diminishing alarmingly :shock: At the top of the straight I see that I've still got a gap of about 50m, give it a go to the line wishing I'd had a little extra in the tank but got done by another rider by half a wheel. So I was quite chuffed with a second place coz I was happy to just stay with the bunch when we started. A nice voucher for my troubles and a lil more experience :) Great place to race :D :D The Waratah VCC really put on a good show, Great mob. :) Saw Bmxbandito kickin butt aswell 8) :D
zozza

by BNA » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:46 pm

BNA

Postby 531db » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Well done, you'll be in B Grade soon.. :D

Waratah VCC is my club, and I would have been there, but my shift work commitments got in the way. :(

I'll see you tomorrow at Penrith :?:
531db

Postby Hebden » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Fantastic effort Zozza! Sounds like a great place to race. You coming to the regatta center tomorrow? Come have a go in B grade and we can sit in the hurt box together or if Sandman is there we can just follow him. :wink:
Hebden

Postby leximack » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:17 pm

nice work zozz, i think you should go to B grade tomorrow night, you will embarass me too much in C grade :D

Don
leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 pm

whats the course like at eastern creek there zozz? I want to try out a few different courses, i want a course with some hills though or atleast some thing more than at the regatta, its like a pancake out there, need some hills to get rid of the wheel suckers :lol:
leximack

Postby zozza » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think I'll go round with Don tomorrow in C. Don you'd love it at EC. Come down next time its on. No real hills but a few inclines and the corners..........zoom zoom :D
zozza

Postby bmxbandito » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:27 am

A huge WELL DONE big man all you footpath racers are talking like such racers now :lol: :lol: gonna have to start taking money & giving out race numbers for the M7 nights.What makes my day is how big the smiles are on all you new racers faces after you have your first go,I reckon Zozzas lasted all day yesterday 2nd place or not.Good report too Zozz makes you feel like your there riding with you,next week those guys will know when the big man goes we better go with him.By the way everybody Zozzas tip for breakfast before racing LEFT OVER PIZZA you crack me up big fella :lol: also he keeps forgetting to go pee pee before hand so has to ride as fast as hell to get to the finish so he can go only one other guy needed to go worse than Zozz hence the 2nd place.
I just had an awesome time racing around like an idiot with the sun shining pace was a fair bit quicker this week HTFU band copped an absolute caning this time hope it recovers in enough time for tonights racing.Helped me heaps chasing back on when stuff gets stretched out.Would hate to hand it over if i get dropped.
Was interesting too see that even though this is masters racing its good too see guys are still up for killing themselves for a race win.Some guy in the breakaway was splatted all over the finish line when we got there ,had to call an Ambo for him bet he is pretty sore today.
Anyway looking forward too seeing you guys tonight for some more racing ESPECIALLY SANDY(aka NFS)
Jeff
bmxbandito

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:57 am

Top effort Zozz and a great report to match.

I think you'll definately be chasing down B grade in a week or two. I doubt they'll let you stay in C if you keep those sorts of efforts up.

Cheers,

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Great effort zozza, good read too mate. Gutsy move off the front, kudos to you 8)
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby Spiza » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:46 pm

I missed this thread! Great work mate. I think you have found your calling. A grade racer in the making for sure :) I would love to go and have a look at EC next time it's on.
Spiza

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:14 pm

Spiza wrote:I would love to go and have a look at EC next time it's on.

+1
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 am

Chuck wrote:

+1

They clash with our crit races at Smeaton Grange. Bugger.

I think last year they held races on Tuesday nights. Can anyone confirm this?

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby zozza » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 am

Kev365428 wrote:
Chuck wrote:

+1

They clash with our crit races at Smeaton Grange. Bugger.

I think last year they held races on Tuesday nights. Can anyone confirm this?

Kev.
Hi Kev, I think it's Marconi on tues night at EC :)
zozza

Return to Road Biking