Selle Italia SLR Titanium - Opinions

ft_critical

Selle Italia SLR Titanium - Opinions

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Hello advice team,

What are the thoughts on the Selle Italia SLR from users? I am after a non-flow one, Ti rails are fine.

Everyone seems to want to know about you....
I am looking for a race saddle. Races/rides can be up to 120km, but I would say I am rarely on the bike without a stop for more than 2hrs.

I have ridden only three saddles that I can recall the fit of, Selle Italia Max Flite (too wide), Fizik Aliante (quite good I thought) and for many years on all my bikes Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow. I am looking for a lighter and narrower saddle.

I don't have much issue with saddles, too wide gives me hip issues, I do get perineum nubness after 50min sat on the trainer...

I have had a bike fit. Thank you,

FT

Tim

Re: Selle Italia SLR Titanium - Opinions

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Can't help with the Selle saddle.
If you like a narrow saddle and quite liked the Fizik Aliante perhaps consider a Fizik Arione.
I had an Aliante supplied on a new bike, felt reasonably comfy on it, but then tried an Arione on another bike and have since fitted Ariones to three bikes.
The Arione is around the same width as the Selle SLR (approx 131mm) and has a similar flat profile. You sit on these saddle as opposed to sitting in a more moulded saddle. They're both quite long which is a feature I frequently make use of, sliding back or forth to ease any leg, bum or back strain and changes in power( :lol: ) output.
My being light weight and narrow in the waist/pelvis (28”) makes for the best fitting saddle I've ridden from a total of about six.
No worries on rides up to around the four hour mark.
Evans have a basic (heavier) model going fairly cheap. There are much lighter versions.
https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/fizik ... e-00120587
Merlin have a channeled model for about the same price.
https://www.merlincycles.com/fizik-ario ... 93131.html

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:00 pm

ft_critical wrote:Hello advice team,

What are the thoughts on the Selle Italia SLR from users? I am after a non-flow one, Ti rails are fine.

Everyone seems to want to know about you....
I am looking for a race saddle. Races/rides can be up to 120km, but I would say I am rarely on the bike without a stop for more than 2hrs.

I have ridden only three saddles that I can recall the fit of, Selle Italia Max Flite (too wide), Fizik Aliante (quite good I thought) and for many years on all my bikes Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow. I am looking for a lighter and narrower saddle.

I don't have much issue with saddles, too wide gives me hip issues, I do get perineum nubness after 50min sat on the trainer...

I have had a bike fit. Thank you,

FT
I like them, I have 3 and the SLR tt on my time trial bike. My commuter has one with the cover stripped to bare carbon, the cover started to come off so I stripped it completely off. I came from Selle Italia flite titaniums and found that although the SLR is flatter ist feels like you cut the top off the Flite.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Tim wrote:...
The Arione is around the same width as the Selle SLR (approx 131mm) and has a similar flat profile. You sit on these saddle as opposed to sitting in a more moulded saddle. They're both quite long which is a feature I frequently make use of, sliding back or forth to ease any leg, bum or back strain and changes in power( :lol: ) output.
Thanks Tim, yes I hear you on moving around. The trick would be to borrow one to trial I guess, I will put a call out to my club mates.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:13 pm

piledhigher wrote:...

I came from Selle Italia flite titaniums and found that although the SLR is flatter ist feels like you cut the top off the Flite.
Not sure I can imagine this piledhigh?