Riding on work trips

LimaTango

Riding on work trips

Postby LimaTango » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi all,

Hoping to find some suggestions for the best way to get some riding in while interstate on work trips.

I live in Perth, and frequently travel to ML, SY and BN for work, usually there for no more than 36 hours. Taking my own bike is not practical, so i’m looking at alternatives.

RCC seems like an obvious starting point, but picking up their loan Canyon bike when the clubhouse opens means I’d miss the early group rides (and I see the SY clubhouse is closing).

Google has also thrown up Livelo- who deliver the (decent looking) bike to the hotel the night prior, although at a premium price.

Anyone able to offer any opinion on the above, or perhaps have another option?

Many thanks in abvance

Thoglette

Re: Riding on work trips

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

You mean BNE, SYD and MEL?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

LimaTango

Postby LimaTango » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Sorry, that is correct. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 am

LimaTango wrote:
Anyone able to offer any opinion on the above, or perhaps have another option?
Reach out to the bike shops close to your hotel and ask if they do day hires.

For Brisbane, Bike Obsession who are in the city do have a fleet of hire bikes. Probably will be the easiest solution if you're only in town for 24-72 hours.

In terms of routes, I'd probably fire up the Strava heat map for each city and see where everyone is riding. Depending on what you're wanting to achieve, you could probably get the local stores to point you in the right direction of hills/uninterrupted roads if you need to train.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

I have met a few people who have done this in Brisbane.

Bike Obsession have a good range of hire bikes and I have ridden with a handful of people who have hired from them. They have all been happy with the service. (Bike Obsession also point them in the direction of my group's rides, so that's probably why I see a few of them.)

I rode once with a woman who had hired a Livelo bike. She told me that she travels regularly for work and has hired them in other cities too (Perth definitely, maybe Melbourne and Adelaide too). She was very happy to recommend them to me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am

LimaTango wrote:RCC seems like an obvious starting point, but picking up their loan Canyon bike when the clubhouse opens means I’d miss the early group rides (and I see the SY clubhouse is closing)
Damn, that's a shame - there are some nice people there.

I don't know that any of the Sydney CBD bike shops do rentals either.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm presuming you're after a "road bike" and are travelling carry-on only?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

LimaTango

Postby LimaTango » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes mate, carry-on only and after a (decent) road bike.

Thanks for the tips.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am

Why is a bike bag not possible? I travel everywhere with mine including regional and international. Low hassle - happy to share the workings.

LimaTango

Postby LimaTango » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:36 pm

ft_critical wrote:Why is a bike bag not possible? I travel everywhere with mine including regional and international. Low hassle - happy to share the workings.
Thanks for the offer. Bag is not possible as I don’t have time to wait for oversized baggage at destination, nor will it fit in the transport provided.

Cheers.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 pm

LimaTango wrote:
ft_critical wrote:Why is a bike bag not possible? I travel everywhere with mine including regional and international. Low hassle - happy to share the workings.
Thanks for the offer. Bag is not possible as I don’t have time to wait for oversized baggage at destination, nor will it fit in the transport provided.

Cheers.
Coupler bike? Ritchey break away or S&S couplers, both fit in an airline compatible bag (not oversize).

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:51 pm

LimaTango wrote:

Cheers.
I believe I have the smallest bike bag around. They are called "Pikapack EEP". Try googling it. They are much more size friendly when putting inside the car as compared to say the SCICON, Evocs (which I prev owned). They are really not much larger than a large suitcase and some folks check them in as normal luggage. Might be a worth the investment if you don't already have a bike case.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:08 pm

If you're in Brisbane and get that bike, message me and I'll see if I can get you on a group ride

LimaTango

Postby LimaTango » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 pm

jasonc wrote:If you're in Brisbane and get that bike, message me and I'll see if I can get you on a group ride
Thanks, appreciate the offer. I do get to Brisbane fairly regularly- so will take you up on your offer when there next.

Cheers.