Tubeless roadbike tyres

con

Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby con » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Hey all.
Have been running Schwalbe Pro 1 Tubeless on my !!! Spam Paradise !!! wheels. After 2500km the puncture resistance is terrible. Does anyone have any tubeless tyre recommendations for lasting longer than Schwalbe Pro 1. Thanks
Andy.

Rhubarb

Re: Tubeless roadbike tyres

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:32 pm

I run pro one and am happy with them. I think the secret is to get the right sealant. After some initial bad experiences with doc blue I went to Orange Seal and have been much happier.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 am

con wrote:Hey all.
Have been running Schwalbe Pro 1 Tubeless on my !!! Spam Paradise !!! wheels. After 2500km the puncture resistance is terrible. Does anyone have any tubeless tyre recommendations for lasting longer than Schwalbe Pro 1. Thanks
Andy.

What sealant are you using? Are you confident it's always topped up and not dried out?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:37 am

I've just moved over to the Schwalbe from Hutchinson Fusion 3's Haven't had a puncture in years on either tyre but the Schwalbe is noticeably nicer to ride - the trade-off appears to be in durability.

I'm running down a bottle of Stan's at the moment and will probably go to Orange Seal once it's empty or stops performing.
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

ianK

Postby ianK » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm

I have also be on Pro Ones (and the predecessor prior to that) and have been very happy with them overall.
Agree with Rhubarb - Orange Seal is excellent.

Maybe the new Conti 5000 is worth a look (I loved the 4000 when I used to run tubes!) But, atm I will stick with Pro One

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Shane had a bad experience :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:Shane had a bad experience :)

Shane was using Doc Blue. Rhubarb had bad experiences with Doc Blue too, but Rhubarb changed to Orange Seal Regular and lived happily ever after. :-D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Ahhh, that was funny. :D

I have not yet gone to road tubeless, but my 10 years plus experience with MTB tubeless provides a few lessons.

If the bead is so stretched that you can get the tyre off without levers, that's a problem with the tyre. You're going to struggle to get it to bead up. Secondly, I *always* put the sealant in first. If you don't, you're going to gum up your valves. The valve stem needs to remain clean. The sealant helps the beading-up process.

Thirdly, he made no attempt to pre-seat the bead. I always go around the rim and try to pull the bead out onto the shoulder to minimise the air gaps. Soapy water is a last resort.

I've never had a tyre not bead up. The only time I have to use soapy water is when the bead is stretched like in the vid, which has been on old-ish (1 year+) tyres.

Bennoz

Postby Bennoz » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:14 pm

LOL

Been there done that ! can totally relate

biggest and best tip i got was to pour sealant into the tire before trying to seat the bead.

trailgumby wrote:...tips

+1 to everything there ;)

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I've not used tubeless yet (they are sitting in my pile of spare consumables, waiting for the currently installed clinchers to wear out.

But it seemed to me from the video that it was pretty obvious that the existing tacky dried sealant was causing the beads to stick together, and that he should have removed that. Of course, if Shane were to respond that he'd had enough, and just wanted to go and ride his bike, he'd probably be right in that too. :)