The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

:? Where's the dumb?
All I saw was huge amounts of /B flying about...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm

BNA

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

All looks pretty reasonable, much like what would happen in Italy on one-way streets (they don't have too many bike lanes). BTW, if there is an obstruction - truck off-loading and stationary car with hazard flashers - the legal thing to do is to go around with due care. That is pretty much what I see happening.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby wob » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

Andrew

Why not "rosy" - we've got drivers and cyclists using their common sense to ride safely and efficiently through town. Isn't that what we want?

I takes tolerance and a slow and steady approach by motorists and cyclists alike but it seems to work well.

Martin
wob

Postby human909 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm not sure what your problem with that is. If it is the perceived breaking of the strict letter of laws then it just shows how much we have to learn. (Though I'm not even sure it is clear that laws are being broken.) The obsession with rules and the way cyclists and motorists get righteous over perceived infractions is a bigger problem than rule breaking itself.

What seems to be occurring in the video is the triumph of common sense. I'm not sure how that falls into the category of "It is not all rosy". :lol:
human909

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:20 pm

can you imagine that scene in australia? people would be going nuts, screaming at each other "it's a one way lane you person-of-inbred-family-lineage!!!!!!" "get the flying bicycles out of my way!!!" there's even a cyclist on the phone. i was doing that on a dedicated, shared path once and another rider came up next to me and started abusing me. i was like "ahh, there's no traffic here, it's just you and me" "it's ILLEGAL!!1!!!" "come on, really?" "IT'S JUST AS BAD AS IF A DRIVER DOES IT" "i'm not seeing how that's the case" etc.
jules21

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm

BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P

Careful Jules. You don't want to end up on the grass beside the shared pathway :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby human909 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P

:mrgreen: When I was living in Amsterdam as a child that show was a favourite of the kids. :lol:

It think the video and the responses highlight the big difference in attitudes that often cause arguments on this very forum regarding road rules and order. Some people believe in applying common sense and respect for others over road rules. Other simply believe that road rules are king and other considerations come second.
human909

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Cycling while talking on the phone, while in busy traffic, was de rigeur in Italy ;)
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Riddley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 am

Lukeyboy wrote:

Ah yes, the sound of the Netherlands: tiny 2 stroke motors.
Riddley

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:54 am

human909 wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:BRUM! Wait.... false alarm. Just a dinky toy car :P

:mrgreen: When I was living in Amsterdam as a child that show was a favourite of the kids. :lol:

It was a favorite for the kids when I was growing up in Australia. 90's childhood shows rocked! :P
Lukeyboy

Postby herzog » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:33 am

il padrone wrote:Cycling while talking on the phone, while in busy traffic, was de rigeur in Italy ;)

Still is.
herzog

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 pm

this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.

jules21

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 pm

jules21 wrote:this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.

Can understand why.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby zero » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 pm

jules21 wrote:this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.

Yeah it happens, probably won't be you as long as you roll in at 20ish or less because if you are sufficiently near the apex to be visible it modifies the behavior of other riders. This is something I've sample a lot of on the Anzac Bridge dogleg which allows riders of varying skills to approach at 40+ due to the bridge slope (and keeps my speed down climbing too).

This is the kind of corner where a TT or road bike pair will crash on for sure though when they both approach at 40.
zero

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

zero wrote:Yeah it happens, probably won't be you as long as you roll in at 20ish or less because if you are sufficiently near the apex to be visible it modifies the behavior of other riders.

there's a point at which you are close enough to the corner (i'm ahead of it there) that if someone comes towards you in a similar manner to the rider in the video, they can't see you around the bend and can't adjust their line if they're committed - as that guy was. i've had one guy who experienced that scenario - but i was still just enough ahead to avoid a collision. he still locked up and slid wildly - narrowly avoiding a crash - and that was with me still a bit ahead of where i could be while still 'invisible'. it will happen one day.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?
g-boaf

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?

my speed is not the issue, which is the other rider barreling around the corner and seeing someone else in his path. it wouldn't matter if i was riding or walking - i'm not going fast either way. the problem is - they have nowhere to go if they can't pull it back onto their LHS.
jules21

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I think we can all agree that your speed wasn't an issue. :D

I think the point was being made that it may take two speeding cyclists heading opposite directions for a collision to occur. Though the fact that the cyclist went outside his lane may have been a choice after seeing the lane was clear. There is certainly plenty of times that I as a cyclist (and occasionally as a motorist) make use of the entire available surface when I can adequately see the path ahead is clear.

It is not entirely clear to me that the cyclist in this video was going too fast to avoid going into the outside lane. The fact that the cyclist did intrude on the lane is not of itself evidence to this.
human909

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Saw two Dumb Cyclists within a 300m stretch of road this morning.

Both of them on the Leach Highway in Perth (between Tudor Ave and Majorie Ave https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-32.027052,115.897619&spn=0.008959,0.016512&t=h&z=17). The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks + it was in the middle of peak hour traffic.

The second guy was just down the road (closer to Majorie Ave) on the west bound lanes (literally a few 100 meters apart from each other) on his MTB, thankfully in the left most lane but no helmet to be seen and with earbuds in while riding one handed.

Considering that the speed limit is 70kph on this freeway (not superbad I guess) and that anyone from Perth can tell you that congestion here during peak hour can be horrendous but still have fast flowing traffic I just thought their actions were completely nuts.
SquareWheels

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm

SquareWheels wrote:Both of them on the Leach Highway in Perth (between Tudor Ave and Majorie Ave https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-32.027052,115.897619&spn=0.008959,0.016512&t=h&z=17). The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks + it was in the middle of peak hour traffic.

You do realise it is not a freeway don't you ... the freeway in Perth runs north - south; it is just a four to six lane road. I used to ride Leach Highway all the time ... not a big issue at all, I have ridden much narrow rides where there are lots of trucks at higher speeds. Cockburn Road comes to mind for starters.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I rode that corner recently (for the first time). In the back of my mind was the exact same concern - 'I hope no-one is coming in the other direction at a fast speed and taking the corner wide/cutting it'.
Summernight

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Summernight wrote:

I rode that corner recently (for the first time). In the back of my mind was the exact same concern - 'I hope no-one is coming in the other direction at a fast speed and taking the corner wide/cutting it'.

Some similarities to the southern on-ramp coming onto the sydney harbour bridge bikeway. Nearly everybody - including myself - swings onto the wrong side at some point, it's hard to avoid, even going real slow.

I usually do so early, using a "late apex" approach so that I square off the turn and have a clear view of anything oncoming, and to be square and as far left as possible on the ramp proper. It also gives the best opportunity to brake or change line if someone is coming the other way and I need to give way.

Unfortunately most do the exact opposite, and take an early apex and then run wide coming up the ramp itself where available lines are the most confined. Recipe for a nasty crash, which happens regularly. :x
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Andrew

Sorta naked streets beaviour without the naked bit.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
#1 three people meandering along the path, across the full width. Lead rider of our group of four dings, right hand pedestrian moves left(ish) for bike 1 to pass, then back right I front of two kids and me without so much as looking. Kinda wish one of the kids had run into him

#2 group of young adults (bogan styled) having a chat, completely oblivious to their only-just-walking toddler wobbles across and back in front of us. When I called out for them to watch their bub there wasn't any reaction.

#3 not sure if it really counts. Kid, 12-13ish, on an electric go kart of all things. To his credit he was driving quite safely, but I'm sure his mode of transport probably didn't qualify to use the path not to mention he was at knee height of everyone else.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 am

bychosis wrote:#2 group of young adults (bogan styled) having a chat, completely oblivious to their only-just-walking toddler wobbles across and back in front of us. When I called out for them to watch their bub there wasn't any reaction.

after being threatened to have the kid removed so many times by DOCS, your warning had little impact :)
jules21

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion