Cycle Lane Colour

John Lewis

Cycle Lane Colour

Postby John Lewis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 am

I just read in our local paper that our Albany Council is redoing the cycle lane on Middleton Rd.
It will be a whole 1.5m wide and 2m in places. Pity there will also be a high kerb and road sufficiently narrow that cars will be almost running wheels on the marker line.

Now here's the fun bit. It was reported they intend painting the lane red, yes you heard right, red, so that cars would be aware of it.

I always thought cycle lanes were painted green so the question is whether there is a standard.
I might need to go have a word with them.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cycle Lane Colour

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:17 am

In Some european cities, red pavers are used to signify bike lanes, typically where there are pedestrian and cycle lanes. In fact, it is similar to the bus lanes so it visible but not bright. The colour is sometimes extended with a similar colour paint when pavers are not suitable.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am

There is a standard John, but road authorities can and do ignore them. The current standard is "Guide to Traffic Management Part 10: Traffic Control and Communication Devices" - I'm not sure where you can obtain a free copy. A former version said
Care needs to be exercised in the choice of coloured or textured surfaces. Red and orange are widely used for footpath paving in some States and cities, and as such may be inappropriate in those regions ...

Whilst shared use paths can be coloured, they should not be coloured and textured in the same manner as on-road bicycle lanes or exclusive use paths, or with the bicycle sections of separated use paths. The association of a specific colour/texture combination with bicycles, on a consistent basis, is an important means of highlighting the potential presence of cyclists.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:00 am

John Lewis wrote:Now here's the fun bit. It was reported they intend painting the lane red, yes you heard right, red, so that cars would be aware of it.

I always thought cycle lanes were painted green so the question is whether there is a standard.
I might need to go have a word with them.

The current 2017 version of the Cycling Aspects of Austroads Guides says:
Bicycle lanes may be enhanced by using green coloured pavement surfaces in order to provide easier recognition by motorists and to improve compliance. The surfacing is relatively expensive, and guidelines for its use vary among jurisdictions.

Some road agencies are choosing to provide coloured surfacing throughout the entire area of some bicycle lanes in order to provide enhanced recognition by motorists and to improve compliance.
The use of green surfacing for bicycle lanes by some authorities may be limited to areas where cyclists experience considerable stress

The previous 2014 version stated:
Green coloured pavement surfaces may be used to enhance the delineation of areas of pavement that are used for bicycle lanes. The recommended Australian Standard colour for bicycle facility surfacing is Emerald Green G13 (refer to Section 6.6, GTM 10).

GTM 10 in this context is the document that find_bruce refers to. I don't know if the change in the guide between 2017 and 2014 reflects a change in the standard or not as I don't want to pay $123 for access to GTM 10.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:45 pm

So let me get this straight: The council is refurbishing a bike lane, wide enough to ride 2 abreast on, and also infringe on the car lane, and you're complaining because of... the colour?

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Red is more alarming & may assist in visibility - as opposed to green, more friendly & relaxed - that drivers wouldnt care much about

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm

MattyK wrote:So let me get this straight: The council is refurbishing a bike lane, wide enough to ride 2 abreast on, and also infringe on the car lane, and you're complaining because of... the colour?
Using the same colour is about sending a consistent message as to who may use the lane
Nate wrote:Red is more alarming & may assist in visibility - as opposed to green, more friendly & relaxed - that drivers wouldnt care much about
Nice theory - bus lanes in Sydney are red & car drivers seem perfectly happy to drive in those (as long as no-one is watching). I haven't seen any difference in nighttime or wet weather visibility.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm

mmmmm....green is the advised and accepted colour. Red is typically bus lane. Bit silly to do this

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 pm

fat and old wrote:mmmmm....green is the advised and accepted colour. Red is typically bus lane. Bit silly to do this

Specifically green paint for on-road bicycle lanes and red asphalt for bus lanes and off-road shared paths. If they are genuinely planning red paint they are trying something entirely new that I haven't seen used before.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Scott_C wrote:
fat and old wrote:mmmmm....green is the advised and accepted colour. Red is typically bus lane. Bit silly to do this

Specifically green paint for on-road bicycle lanes and red asphalt for bus lanes and off-road shared paths. If they are genuinely planning red paint they are trying something entirely new that I haven't seen used before.

Quite a few bus lanes were done in Melbourne using the same technique as the cycle lanes, just a different colour granular material and underlying epoxy (It's not actually paint in most cases, although a few councils still use it here). We did Stud Rd like that many years ago now. Issues with getting enough red oxide to colour the asphalt enough and consistently are common. Have a look at Lonsdale St in the CBD for an example. The difference between traffic lanes is not strong enough in many light situations.

Edit: The Victoria St bus lanes are an example of how not to apply the epoxy/granular material :lol:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Some examples of red cycle lanes in Perth metro are:
Glengarry Drive, Duncraig https://goo.gl/maps/qwDwzQ67fvA2
The Boulevard City Beach https://goo.gl/maps/w7FZCDCaoCD2. Does have a green bike lockers at west coast intersection
Telford Cres, Stirling https://goo.gl/maps/eKqmHucvvQP2
King Edward Rd, Osborne Park https://goo.gl/maps/uTFAHJCjfFL2

And for some black ones with green bike lockers at intersections, which cycle lanes installed recently after around 10 years of planning:
Barrack St, Perth. https://goo.gl/maps/42PVrwnrE5F2

Wish I could you give you more, but dedicated cycle lanes in Perth metro are rare, and my main routes are north of the river so there may be green ones south.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks all for information. Guess I'll just leave them to it.
I think they should be green but that's just me.
We have some green here but used in an odd way. Main cycle lane has no colour but where it crosses a T road then there is green there. Guess it warns motorist of lane crossing their entry point but doubt they take much notice.
Mattyk
Its on road. Used to be about 0.5m wide as it was just the shoulder but they had all the right signage for a bike lane.
They are saying the new lane will mostly be 1.5m with some sections 2m. I think 1.5m might be a bit tight for two abreast especially given how the vehicles tend to run with wheel almost on line. That's because the road vehicle lane is pretty narrow too. Can't see how they could widen it much either.
I need to go have a look at what they are doing but haven't had a chance yet.