NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5332
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics ... be-induced

"Beautiful Sunday morning for a bike ride, to the hospital, for an induction to finally have this baby," she wrote.

human909
Posts: 8906
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Nice. It would be even nicer if it wasn't newsworthy. But that is a long dream away.

The only reason why my sister didn't do this was the potential physical difficulties and impracticalities of riding home with a newborn. During the later months she actually found that riding was more comfortable than walking.

User avatar
redsonic
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby redsonic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Great story. Good for her.

User avatar
ValleyForge
Posts: 1674
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Bike lock-ups at Auckland hospitals must be safer than AU.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

human909
Posts: 8906
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Bike lock-ups at Auckland hospitals must be safer than AU.

Don't know which areas of AU you have had problems but many of the ones in Melbourne are great. Plenty of bike access and very safe. Fantastic access for staff at the Children's Hospital! "500 spaces and access to change room facilities"

I've never had any concerns when locking my bike up at:
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
The Royal Children's Hospital
The Royal Women's Hospital
The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
The Alfred Hospital
St Vincent's Hospital
Epworth Hospital


We all can be a bit negative around here about the state of cycling in Australia. But I think if you had a decent look at this we fair pretty damn well when it comes to the safety and security of locking up your bicycle. I would feel safer for a moderately expensive bicycle on the street in most cities in Australia than in say Amsterdam.

User avatar
kb
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby kb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:09 pm

human909 wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Bike lock-ups at Auckland hospitals must be safer than AU.

Don't know which areas of AU you have had problems but many of the ones in Melbourne are great. Plenty of bike access and very safe. Fantastic access for staff at the Children's Hospital! "500 spaces and access to change room facilities"

I've never had any concerns when locking my bike up at:
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
The Royal Children's Hospital
The Royal Women's Hospital
The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
The Alfred Hospital
St Vincent's Hospital
Epworth Hospital


We all can be a bit negative around here about the state of cycling in Australia. But I think if you had a decent look at this we fair pretty damn well when it comes to the safety and security of locking up your bicycle. I would feel safer for a moderately expensive bicycle on the street in most cities in Australia than in say Amsterdam.

I’ve been pretty nervous at Box Hill but haven’t had any issues.
Image

fat and old
Posts: 3533
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby fat and old » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:34 pm

human909 wrote:I've never had any concerns when locking my bike up at:
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
The Royal Children's Hospital
The Royal Women's Hospital
The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
The Alfred Hospital
St Vincent's Hospital
Epworth Hospital


You must be one sick pup! :lol:

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19074
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:51 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Bike lock-ups at Auckland hospitals must be safer than AU.

LOL

Last year I locked up my Sisters bike at Auckland hospital to visit my Mum (who is very good at ending up in hospital when I visit NZ) and it was still there when I got out :) Jokes aside it was a reasonable place to park
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

human909
Posts: 8906
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 pm

fat and old wrote:
human909 wrote:I've never had any concerns when locking my bike up at:
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
The Royal Children's Hospital
The Royal Women's Hospital
The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
The Alfred Hospital
St Vincent's Hospital
Epworth Hospital


You must be one sick pup! :lol:

:D Well I can't be too sick if I'm riding! Though broken bones don't normally stop me. And to be fair visiting also counts so don't worry too much. :P
(Or maybe I've switched professions from Engineering to Medicine. It helps in 'winning' forums arguments with argumentum ad verecundiam. :wink:

After writing out that list I did realise how long it was and how it sounded. :mrgreen: Allergy and broken bones pretty much cover my afflictions all in and out type stuff. Some emergency entry, some just out patient stuff.

(As an aside. It is often interesting people watching in the emergency section of a hospital. Observing the triage process is interesting. I'm always amazed to see me triaged at least at the 50% mark if not more quickly, when I'm coming in with something I consider pretty minor. A bunch of people coming in with bad colds I guess...


kb wrote:I’ve been pretty nervous at Box Hill but haven’t had any issues.

It also helps the nerves if you can afford to lose it or have it appropriately insured. I don't insure my bikes. But I've given up stressing about bike theft. I've been parking my bikes in dark streets late at night for decades and haven't yet had an issue. I did lose one bike, but I had it locked up for months on the street with the front wheel off for repairs. My fault, council might have even taken it. The bike had been living there for about a year though. So that is a damn good run.

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: NZ MP Julie Anne Genter rides to the hospital to give birth

Postby Mububban » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:11 pm

That's a lovely story, especially after the heartache of two previous miscarriages.

At the same stage in pregnancy, my wife's sister was riding a bike around Rottnest, whereas my wife couldn't roll over in bed without her pelvis going *clunk pop*. Amazing how differently women's bodies cope with pregnancy!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users