Putting the "oh no" into obikes

fat and old

Re: Putting the "oh no" into obikes

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am

I watched an O/S vlog in which the presenter had a good solid rant about these things clagging up the local shared path around some lake. He made me laugh when his offsider pointed out the green credentials of them vs a car. His reply: You're not saving the universe by riding these around the lake. You're just another dick effing around on a bike :lol: It was (in this case) a fair point.

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 am

article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-the-rise-of-the-electric-scooter-has-been-a-bumpy-ride

note, there is a push-button link to a column of viewer comments there..

the bloke carrying his kids on one, including small boy hoisted high on his neck and shoulders,just made me shudder..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 pm

RetroPilot wrote:article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-the-rise-of-the-electric-scooter-has-been-a-bumpy-ride

the bloke carrying his kids on one, including small boy hoisted high on his neck and shoulders,just made me shudder..
Article seems more balanced than what we typically get in Australia. Also the comments lacked the bogan component we get
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Saw more Lime bikes being ridden in 2 hours in the CBD today than I would see in 2 weeks of all the others combined

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:Saw more Lime bikes being ridden in 2 hours in the CBD today than I would see in 2 weeks of all the others combined

Surely the i-Cycle (go on Apple, sue me) nature of the ride appeals to the sort of user who would hire a bike in the first place. Is a good thing as far as getting people on bikes and giving turista a positive experience..
Mmm, SunTour

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes its a good thing, even the CBD Sydney up & downhill so the iCycle encourages people to use them

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

mikesbytes wrote:
RetroPilot wrote:article PBS Newshour carried yesterday on the battery-powered hire small vehicle craze , including provider LIME, yesterday..

Article seems more balanced than what we typically get in Australia. Also the comments lacked the bogan component we get

to be fair, most of that particular story revolves around beach area of LA such as Santa Monica, which tends to be affluent in terms of locals, of course..