2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Philistine

Re: 2018 - Black Cat Award (Punctures) - Prizes from Pedalit

Postby Philistine » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

I've got my campaign under way for Q4. Lately, I've been having to pump up the rear tyre on my MTB every four or five days, whilst not having to touch the front tyre. Last Thursday I went to get the bike out of the garage and the front tyre was flat (fairy pube) - #1. Once I had been jolted into puncture-fixing mode, I decided to replace the rear tyre and tube. The next time I went to the bike, the front tyre was still inflated but the rear (the new one) was flat. When I got the (brand new) tube out, I found it had blown a hole on the inside (rim side) - #2, and the distortion was still evident even though the tube was flat. I eventually found a hole on the edge of my rim tape that had probably been there for years, but which had managed to line up with a spoke hole when I put the new tyre on.

Update. I should give a plug to Cyclingdeals of Melbourne. I bought some rim tape on E-Bay on Wednesday evening and it arrived on my (Sydney) doorstep this afternoon (Thursday). How good is that?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Big staple in the rear tyre the other day... Marathon plus couldnt save this one
11 for the year...only one for the 1/4
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 am

Rubbish luck lately.
Rear tyre was flat as I was preparing to leave work on Wednesday. 3rd puncture in as many weeks.
Another piece of radial wire breaching the Marathon Plus.

3rd for this quarter. 7th for the year (in a year I'm not even doing serious commuting miles)

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:36 am

1st puncture of the year need to ride more! around 4000km yr to date

must have been all the debris washed into the road following Wednesday night evening storms in SE Melbourne - front wheel and nearly lost it on a bend on gravel path - kicking myself for crap skillz then realised had a flat as hit tarmac - irony.... tidying out garage at weekend found some unused rim tape, tubeless valves and sealant and set up a pair of wheels tubeless to put on the bike i grabbed - wheels still sat demonstrating holding pressure next to washing machine

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Puncture #3 for the quarter on Monday. I pulled up for a drink with about 6 km to go and I happened to give the tyres a squeeze. The front was softening but still rideable and I thought I might make it home, which I did.

Puncture #4 today on the M5. I rode over something sharp, which I was unable to identify, and the tyre went completely flat in 50 metres. I removed the tube and checked the inside of the tyre very carefully in case there was a sharp object still in it (I've been caught before). I fitted my spare tube and refitted the wheel, but, when I came to blow up the tyre, it would not inflate at all. As I was only carrying one spare tube, I had to admit defeat and telephone my wife to come and collect me.

When I got home I removed the wheel, located and repaired the "new" puncture (the one in the tube I had been carrying as a spare) and had a super careful look at the tyre to see what, if anything I might have missed. Finally I tackled the "original" puncture, but, when I blew up the tube to find the hole, I was able to inflate it without any trouble, and it remained inflated.

I missed most of my ride and had to go to the favour bank with my wife. I cannot state beyond reasonable doubt what happened, but it seems highly likely that, when I was doing my original tube swap on the M5, I took out the punctured tube and then put it back. Perhaps this post belongs in the "dumb cyclists and pedestrians" thread.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Off for a bikepacking trip last weekend... had a raft and related stuff on the front and as I left home I thought the front was extra heavy with the added weight...quickly worked out that the front had gone down... pumped it up and goo blocked the hole. noticed today that the back has goo slowly coming out... dont know how you get a puncture when the bike is not being used for a week and still in the room. not counting since both tyres are past replacement stage
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:11 pm

so i went tubeless but nobody warned me about this bit ... on Lilydale Warburton railtrail and first road I crossed picked up a big cut from some glass...took a while to seal...scraped sealant off my glasses when got to cafe :-( ...thought I'd managed to wash all the sealant off my leg in the shower....but no:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Got the first one for about 20ths on Sunday. Twaz lucky as I was sailing down a hill and leaned into the corner and nek minute, my rear is sliding out from under me. :shock: Managed to stand it up, thankfully as I didn't need to be going down on my left hand side, after Saturday's crash on my left hand side. A slash straight across the tyre and hit the tube. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km