Storing/Hanging Bikes

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Storing/Hanging Bikes

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:16 pm

I was at a community group yesterday where they make wheelchairs out of adult bike frames and send them to landmine victims. It is a great setup and is amazing what they can do with old bikes.

There problem is they have an issue with storing the frames. They would have at least 50 sitting there at the moment. It takes two frames to make a wheelchair and they must be identical, so often these frames sit for a length of time until they can find a match.

It is a very small warehouse type setup but it has extremely high walls/ceilings which can be utilised. They are looking at hanging the frames but werent sure of the most affordable method and also the easiest.

I have a few ideas in mind but was curious what other people use for storing their bikes or whether they have any suggestions. A friend of mine uses a sliding track with hooks in it but it wasnt cheap to get made. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Karen.
cludence

by BNA » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Just get a long piece of quarter inch or a bit bigger reinforcing rod (salvage yard stuff) and a pair of bolt cutters. Cut a length off the rod. Bend a hook in each end. One hook goes over a rafter or some other suitable thing in ceiling. You can even push them between the galv iron roof and the wooded roof supports (whatever they're called). You'll wind up with hooks everywhere but make them up as you need them and you'll never notice the work.

Rope works well but weight becomes an issue - not in strength of the rope but in pulling it up

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi, yes I know what you mean with the rod. I need that at my place. Unfortunately the ceiling doesnt have anything for a piece of wood etc to hook onto. The ceiling would easily be over 20ft high. The walls appear to be concrete. I figure it will be easier to use the walls?

Karen.
cludence

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 pm

I would also suggest hooks. Usually for my bikes (only a few) they are easily wall mounted.

I suggest one of the following:
- If it is possible to reach the ceiling and possible to rigg up some rope you can hang lengths of ropes down each with a hook. This is nice and compact and means less drilling. If you want to be a smarty then you can rigg up a pull system which pulls all of the frames overhead and the whole contraption can be lowered when access is required.

- Alternatively, I use hooks from the hardware store. The ones I have chosen have a bent steel rod that hold the bikes and a second part that is fastened to the wall and holds the rod secure, the beauty being that the rod can move up and down so there is a bit of flexibility. For a lot of bikes (50) this may be a bit time consuming unless you can rigg up something as europa suggested.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks for that guys. It has given me a few ideas so will explain it to them when I go back on Thursday.

Karen.
cludence

Postby tinstaafl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 am

I had to install my daughter's art project in a building much as you described.
There was nothing but concrete walls and a high ceiling.
I bought a roll of heavy guage fencing wire and ran it from wall to wall.
Once the wire was taught I used pliers to crimp small 'v's all along each length. The 'v's stopped anything that was hung from the wire from slipping along the wire.
I then simply dropped a cord at whatever point I needed and the installation was complete.

Robert
tinstaafl

Return to General discussion