How to fit handle bar covers?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

How to fit handle bar covers?

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:03 am

G'day forum,
I have just purchased a set of trek bars and covers as was suggested on another thread.
I had a bit of a falling out with my lbs and I am now left with the prosxpect of fitting the pads to the bars.
I have heard that hair spray is sometimes used to give initial slip and then a gentle grip to stop the covers slipping.
I have also seen a bloke use compressed air to put short grips on. Would this work for the long grips on the trek bars?
Any ideas would be more than I know.

Robert
tinstaafl

by BNA » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:47 am

BNA

Postby Bnej » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:47 am

We've discussed this here before :)

I used soapy water and a pair of gardening gloves (after the first blisters started) to "twist" them on, it took me about 45 minutes, and the water kept drying, it wasn't easy.

The better way is supposed to be, use WD40 and get it done in 10. It'll evaporate pretty quickly but makes it much easier to put them on.
Bnej

Postby matagi » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Lube the bars up with dishwashing detergent, pour a little detergent down the inside of the grips from the end you will be starting from. Then wet the bars with water and start sliding the grips on.

You will get a bit of soap coming through the grips, but don't worry about that. Also, the grips will become progressively more difficult to get on as you get further along.

It is easier if you have an assistant to hold the bike steady so you can just concentrate on sliding the grips on and "milking" them along the bars. Rotating the grips back and forth as you slide them along can also help. Basically you have one hand at the end of the bars pushing the grips on and the other hand further along sort of helping to pull/push the grips along the bars.

If you have everything appropriately lubed up, it should not require huge amounts of strength - I put the grips on my trekking bars and didn't find it particularly difficult, just a little fiddly (I am female, by the way)
matagi

Postby europa » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:43 pm

And don't stop. Taking that five minute break for a coffee and dummy spit will allow it all to settle into its 'final' position.

Seriously, when lubricated, it's more daunting than nasty.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby tinstaafl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:46 pm

So I take it that soap is better than hairspray.
I give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how I went.

Thanks
Robert
tinstaafl

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:04 pm

I'd strongly recommend WD40 for that job, it worked great for me. A decent squirt to properly wet the inside surface of the grip and then with a few minutes of twisting and 'milking' they were on. No blisters, not even any cursing.

If you've got a can handy (and most people seem to have one lying around somewhere) then I reckon WD40 would be a more effective lubricant than soap or hairspray, and just like the other two it quickly dries leaving you with firmly attached grips.
Hotdog

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:49 pm

Compressed air is great, but we don't all have ready access to it.
I've used dishwashing liquid, but not WD-40, but they both should work.
LuckyPierre

Postby tinstaafl » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:31 am

peterrjleach wrote:Compressed air is great, but we don't all have ready access to it.
My plan is to attach the cheeze and kisses to a large pump and give it a go.
I reckno that the high pressure pump might deliver enough with each compression to slip the cover along.
Theory is one thing. Now for the lab work.

Robert
tinstaafl

Postby MJF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:46 pm

And.... I had to shift the grips on my handle bars last weekend so I could fit bar ends. The compressed air trick worked really well - of course, I do have a 12CFM compressor, so I had no shortage of air. I suspect that this is not a task you could do with a bike pump.
MJF

Return to General discussion