Riding alone vs pack with draft effect.

krillian

Riding alone vs pack with draft effect.

Postby krillian » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:06 am

Gday guys,

Ive done 4 months of riding now, im averaging around 27-30klm per hour with av HR of 138 on my 1 to 1.5hr rides and most of the time im riding with at least 20knot winds around me. Ive just signed up for the mutual challenge in adelaide (140klm), and because ive never riden in a pack, im wondering how much i'll notice the less wind resistance (is it something like 30% less effort?????). Im hoping I can ride the distance at an average of 25klm/hr

Cheers Sam

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Riding alone vs pack with draft effect.

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:45 am

krillian wrote:Gday guys,

Ive done 4 months of riding now, im averaging around 27-30klm per hour with av HR of 138 on my 1 to 1.5hr rides and most of the time im riding with at least 20knot winds around me. Ive just signed up for the mutual challenge in adelaide (140klm), and because ive never riden in a pack, im wondering how much i'll notice the less wind resistance (is it something like 30% less effort?????). Im hoping I can ride the distance at an average of 25klm/hr

Cheers Sam
Drafting can result in a very large drop in effort required for the speed. Certainly 30% less power is not an unreasonable number.

How much less depends on lots of things, including your skill at drafting, the size of the bunch, the smoothness of the bunch and terrain.

I would strongly recommend doing some group rides to become used to riding in a bunch and to practice the skills necessary.

for some, riding in a bunch is stressful and can sometimes be difficult as there tends to be a lot of surging and changes of pace. But once mastered, it is amazing how much energy can be saved.

bowie

Postby bowie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:00 pm

yes find a local club to go ridding with before hand. :)

Pack ridding rocks :P
b is for bicycle :D

Parrott

Re: Riding alone vs pack with draft effect.

Postby Parrott » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:13 pm

krillian wrote:Gday guys,

Ive done 4 months of riding now, im averaging around 27-30klm per hour with av HR of 138 on my 1 to 1.5hr rides

If you can do those speeds on your own you will easily do 30-35 kph in a group fitness wise. As Alex says, it will take a while to learn to relax in a group, its not that hard though, with a bit of practice.

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:58 pm

From every other cyclists point of view you MUST practice with a bunch beforehand.

You will not be used to the level of concentration required to stay safe in a bunch.

So please for yourself and the rest of us get in some bunch riding skills beforehand. :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:15 pm

+1 about the speed benefits of riding with others. 35kmh+ would be quite attainale in a peleton if you ride 27-30kmh o your own :)

Also even if you have gained some practice at bunch riding, be very wary of jumping in with a bunch you do not know on this event ride you've signed for. All sorts get into peletons on these sorts of events and often many are newbies themseleves, or just dufusses who can't learn good peleton ettiquette. If one clips a wheel they could take you down too :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."