Wild dogs

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 pm

provoked wrote:As a kid, I remember never being able to outrun the Pomeranian next door.

hahaha thats gold...you should have just taken the batteries out :)

Hebden wrote:How fast does a domestic dog sprint? 40 - 50kph?

i can't outrun my boxer on the flat...no chance

greyhounds can top ~ 80km/h :shock:
Last edited by JV911 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Just checked.

Greyhounds can run at 45 mph (70kmh) :!:

Dingos will of course be slower than this - but how much slower? And how far can they maintain a good speed?

I prefer throwing rocks :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 pm

il padrone wrote:Just checked.

Dingos will of course be slower than this - but how much slower? And how far can they maintain a good speed?

I prefer throwing rocks :twisted:

Holly cow that’s nearly as fast as a cheetah! Thankfully I have never been chased. I think I like the schmakos suggestion the best... I wonder if dogs like Powerbars :P

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Hebden wrote:eeek, I'm in trouble :o

I actually think that you are pretty safe given that we are out of the draught. With plentiful of food around, a skinny cyclists may not be worth the trouble. :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm

bowie wrote:only if they are threaten you / someone else.

Otherwise HTFU and stop being a girl about some dogs that have shown no interest in you what so ever.

All this preemptive removal of animals that "scare" humans.. Well I got news for you.. They were there first, deal with it :twisted:

Not true: dingos were here before before Europeans (brought here by the first Aboriginal people) but they are solitary animals, for the most part. They usually don't form packs.

Wild dogs, on the other hand, are feral animals brought here by Europeans. They form packs and also interbreed with dingos (the offspring are "wild dogs" too).

If Tale saw a pack of dogs, they are not likely to be pure-bred dingos. As such, the sighting should be reported and the wild dogs eradicated. That's not just for the safety of humans, but for the safety of livestock and wild-life.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

snark

Postby snark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:15 pm

Confirmed here (as much as anything is confirmed on the 'net). The bit that caught my eye was "... that can reach speeds up to and exceeding speeds of 45 mph in four strides!" :shock:

Simon.

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Hebden wrote:Holly cow that’s nearly as fast as a cheetah! Thankfully I have never been chased. I think I like the schmakos suggestion the best... I wonder if dogs like Powerbars :P

LOL great idea, you escape by distracting the dog with a power bar, the next poor bugga who comes along has to deal with a carbo loaded super speedy wild dog :shock: :P

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Lay on the ground and show them you're submissive. Sniff butts. Get inside their minds and become one of them. Join the pack. Wait for your moment and challenge the lead male. Then you'll have an army to do your bidding.

"Oh, you want to pass me Mr. DuraAce? A few of my friends may have something to say about that. Fly my pretties."

David

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Hebden wrote:
il padrone wrote:I'd reckon if you got to 60-70kmh and could hold it for 2 km or more you may have the drop on a dog pack. If not ..... 'munch, crunch' :shock:

eeek, I'm in trouble :o

A greyhound, world's fastest dog, can maintain around 48 kmh for 1.5 to 2 km. I'd have to be really scared to outrun a greyhound, but maybe these native half-breeds aren't so fast ! The real issue though is how fast they could sprint towards from the side when you're approaching - hard to out-run it if its latched onto your ankle, and your ability to side-step on a bike is pretty non-existent.

Hopefully, OP will report it to the dog control people - as sogood points out, these kind of wild dogs are a serious environmental threat.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Up out of the saddle on sighting them and wind it up aiming straight at 'em, you'll scatter them and leave them eating your dust :lol:

rob e

Postby rob e » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 am

Kalgrm wrote:
bowie wrote:only if they are threaten you / someone else.

Otherwise HTFU and stop being a girl about some dogs that have shown no interest in you what so ever.

All this preemptive removal of animals that "scare" humans.. Well I got news for you.. They were there first, deal with it :twisted:

Not true: dingos were here before before Europeans (brought here by the first Aboriginal people) but they are solitary animals, for the most part. They usually don't form packs.

Wild dogs, on the other hand, are feral animals brought here by Europeans. They form packs and also interbreed with dingos (the offspring are "wild dogs" too).

If Tale saw a pack of dogs, they are not likely to be pure-bred dingos. As such, the sighting should be reported and the wild dogs eradicated. That's not just for the safety of humans, but for the safety of livestock and wild-life.

Cheers,
Graeme

agree....

"wild dogs" is a misnomer. these are feral dogs and not dingos and need to be culled. Let the authorities know.

sarmy

Postby sarmy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:57 pm

REPORT THE DOGS

what if a couple of adventurous children run into them, !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! themselves and run away, kids are only little, the dog may have some extra bravado on board that day, give chase and........

18htan

Postby 18htan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Hebden wrote:

Holly cow that’s nearly as fast as a cheetah!

Not even close to a Cheetah.

They are the fastest land based animal in the world, reaching speeds upto 120km in short bursts. Also they will out accelerate most super cars, with the ability to sprint from a standing start to 110km in 3 seconds...

3 bloody seconds... :shock:

Lucky we are only dealing with wild dogs...

Tale

Postby Tale » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses and laughs :)

I'm going up there again today, to cycle tomorrow. By the way, NPWS have already laid baits in the area and have signs up warning dog owners. I'll talk to the people at the NPWS centre.

I'm not really worried about these dogs as a cyclist, as their dingo instincts seem to dominate (they do always slink off the road, back into the bush). But yeah, it's a worry about kids, and they're sure to be wreaking havoc with the native wildlife.

Most problems with dingos and humans are related to humans feeding them. They start losing their fear and hang around expecting food. There are a lot of campsites in the area and I'm sure that's why these dogs are hanging around.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Cyclaholic

Postby Cyclaholic » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:54 pm

il padrone wrote:I'd reckon if you got to 60-70kmh and could hold it for 2 km or more you may have the drop on a dog pack. If not ..... 'munch, crunch' :shock:

I have nothing to worry about then, phew what a relief... :lol: