Wild dogs

Tale

Wild dogs

Postby Tale » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 am

Nearly every time I ride through the Myall Lakes National Park (Mungo Brush Rd) in NSW, I'm encountering packs of wild dogs. The kind that are interbred with dingoes, the kind for which National Parks people lay baits.

Most of them look like dingoes, but others are bigger and meaner looking. The most disturbing one I've seen had a head like a bulldog on the body of a dingo.

Now, I'm not Azaria Chamberlain and I know not to worry about dingoes, but picture this: you're a cyclist alone in the middle of nowhere (remote coastal national park) and you're riding towards a pack of up to 12 wild dogs standing in the middle of the road, watching you approach.

I ride straight at them, show no fear, and with about 100m to go, they always get off the road and disappear into the bush. But I think they stay longer on the road every time.

There are no crashed bikes or dead bodies by the side of the road, so clearly there is nothing to worry about. But hey, I'm starting to wonder. Would you?
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:05 am

Make sure you have your Zefal bike pump handy. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 am

And start to work on your sprint :o :lol:

rob e

Postby rob e » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:32 am

hmmm.....sounds like they are growing in confidence

get an air zound.

and a rifle :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 am

Carry some rocks, or stop and pick them up before proceeding. In my experience a rock thrown in their general direction is one thing that will send dogs running - even aggressive German Shepherds. Don't see why it won't work against dingos as well.

By the way, if those dogs were to chase you, there is no way you'd out run them, even on a fast racing bike, unless you had a very big descent :shock: My experience again.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

provoked

Postby provoked » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 am

Carry some schmackos :D

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

If nothing else you should pass your erxperiences on to the rangers who cover the park. They'll certainly know the dogs exist (at least I'd hope they would), but they might like to know if they are apparently getting more confident around people.

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:06 am

have a water bottle full of ammonia when they come for you give them squirt
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:07 am

il padrone wrote:By the way, if those dogs were to chase you, there is no way you'd out run them, even on a fast racing bike, unless you had a very big descent :shock: My experience again.

Sprinting works on barking chihuahuas. I tried it the other day and I can definitely out run them. The other thing that came to mind was what would happen if it tried to stick its nose/head into my aero spoked low spoke count wheels? Mince meat or me flat on the ground? :?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

If (only) they weren't illegal in Australia, carry a Wrist Rocket :wink: The ammonia in a water bottle would work but could be a disaster if you forget which is for drinking and which is for dogs :lol:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:09 pm

sogood wrote:
il padrone wrote:By the way, if those dogs were to chase you, there is no way you'd out run them, even on a fast racing bike, unless you had a very big descent :shock: My experience again.

Sprinting works on barking chihuahuas. I tried it the other day and I can definitely out run them. The other thing that came to mind was what would happen if it tried to stick its nose/head into my aero spoked low spoke count wheels? Mince meat or me flat on the ground? :?

How fast does a domestic dog sprint? 40 - 50kph? I wouldn't think a dingo would be much faster... I could take em :twisted: ...err depending on how long they can sprint for :? .

daacha

Postby daacha » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:25 pm

You could give the Wild Dog Destruction Board a call. They look after this sort of thing and may need to send some resources that way.

http://www.directory.nsw.gov.au/showOrg ... C65F610%7D

daacha

bowie

Postby bowie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:44 pm

only if they are threaten you / someone else.

Otherwise HTFU and stop being a girl about some dogs that have shown no interest in you what so ever.

All this preemptive removal of animals that "scare" humans.. Well I got news for you.. They were there first, deal with it :twisted:
b is for bicycle :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:44 pm

tatt2 wrote:have a water bottle full of ammonia when they come for you give them squirt

but not so good when you grab it and take a swig on a hard stretch :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Time to complain to the Government

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 pm

bowie wrote:only if they are threaten you / someone else.

Otherwise HTFU and stop being a girl about some dogs that have shown no interest in you what so ever.

All this preemptive removal of animals that "scare" humans.. Well I got news for you.. They were there first, deal with it :twisted:

Yep, do tend to agree. There's precious few real threats to cyclists in the Aussie bush. Go to the US and Canada where every so often a MTBer gets eaten by a grizzly or a cougar :shock: :cry:

Hebden wrote:How fast does a domestic dog sprint? 40 - 50kph? I wouldn't think a dingo would be much faster... I could take em ...err depending on how long they can sprint for

Well one time I was touring in Sth Gippsland's hills. A farm dog (juvenile labrador) followed us along the road. Despite shouts to "Go home" this duffus just kept on playing chase :roll: . Eventually at one hill I tried to just outrun it. Belting down a hill for a good kilometre at 45-50kmh the lab was just cruising along pacing me. He showed no signs of lagging!

I'd reckon if you got to 60-70kmh and could hold it for 2 km or more you may have the drop on a dog pack. If not ..... 'munch, crunch' :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 pm

bowie wrote:only if they are threaten you / someone else.

Well, it really depends on the breed.

If it was true wild dogs (as opposed to dingo), then they are probably causing additional damage to our natural wildlife. So reporting and removal may be justified.

bowie

Postby bowie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:11 pm

That is true.

for that matter I don't think Dingo are native to the hunter valley :P
b is for bicycle :D

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:18 pm

i would not know what to do but im sure this story will get better :lol: .let us know of eventual outcome if you dare to go that way again!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

provoked

Postby provoked » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 pm

As a kid, I remember never being able to outrun the Pomeranian next door. The little b&st*rd always caught us and nipped at our toes. Doubt you could outrun a full size breed.

On a serious note, I know you can purchase these little beeper things that really deter kanines. We cant hear it, but they can. I've seen one in action, and it works.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:24 pm

sogood wrote:

the squirrel and the bike didnt fare too well (from memory the rider didnt either)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:36 pm

tallywhacker wrote:
sogood wrote:The other thing that came to mind was what would happen if it tried to stick its nose/head into my aero spoked low spoke count wheels? Mince meat or me flat on the ground? :?

the squirrel and the bike didnt fare too well (from memory the rider didnt either)

Yikes!!!! :shock: :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 pm

il padrone wrote:
tatt2 wrote:have a water bottle full of ammonia when they come for you give them squirt

A Super Soaker with ammonia might be a better choice than a water bottle. Easier to aim.

For the AirZound Horn, my experiences with dogs on paths, they get off the path quick smart, with a short toot from the horn.
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 pm

mikeg wrote:
il padrone wrote:

A Super Soaker with ammonia might be a better choice than a water bottle. Easier to aim.

For the AirZound Horn, my experiences with dogs on paths, they get off the path quick smart, with a short toot from the horn.

Add some Tobasco sauce to the mix :twisted:

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:27 pm

il padrone wrote:I'd reckon if you got to 60-70kmh and could hold it for 2 km or more you may have the drop on a dog pack. If not ..... 'munch, crunch' :shock:

eeek, I'm in trouble :o