So tired!

Starfire

So tired!

Postby Starfire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:03 pm

I've just gotten back into commuting again. The rain and other things kept me away. Now that I'm back, I'm back to being hungry all the time. That I can handle. But why am I so tired!?!

I always thought that exercise is supposed to make you energetic. I find that after my ride, I'm yawning and I just want to sleep. Has anyone else felt like this?
Starfire: I am happy to see her. But Blackfire rules the videogames and she is able to share very depressing poems AND she knows the cool moves and she always knows when people are NOT talking about shovels.

sogood

Re: So tired!

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Starfire wrote:Now that I'm back, I'm back to being hungry all the time.
Hunger is a necessary condition for weight loss. Some people like that. :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 pm

You can't be too tired Starfire if you're still up at 11pm to post!

Seriously though, stick at it, you will be less tired as time goes by.

ride safe.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:32 am

Get yourself some protein to take immediately after your ride. That will help you recover and give you a bit of a fill up.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:39 am

if you are a female,have you had your iron levels tested lately?

bowie

Postby bowie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:28 am

hehehe

I'm sorry but i cant think of anything but rude imagery when it comes to testing a females iron level. :P

I apologize for the following sexists comments ill probably make at a later stage :P

BUT as for being hungry.

I love eating!!! Ridding a bike indeed increased my need for food and that suits me juuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine! :)

Bakers delight. Blueberry and white chocolate Scones. (aka The CrackBerry Muffin) They are delivered from Gods. Insert into the Microwave for 23secoonds and you will be happy happy happy :P
b is for bicycle :D

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Replace some carbs with fats and proteins (tuna being an easy choice); this prevents insulin levels from spiking, something which can cause fatigue. Also, try and reduce the amount of processed carbs (pasta, bread) in your diet and replace them with large quantities of fruits and vegetables. They contain less complex sugar, which is good for insulin regulation, and also have vitamins etc. (If your gonna eat, you might as well eat stuff with good bonuses).

Basically you could be tired for a couple of reasons. Deconditioning, sleep factors, time of day. But most of the time its the diet/exercise balance. Few less carbs before hand, more fats on the ride if possible

....and remember, you could be tired because you've been, you know.....riding. I usually try and judge my recovery by the next day, rather than immediately after.
Do or do not. There is no try

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 pm

There was some discussion of overtraining a month or so ago... rest days are an inconvenience, but are important ;)

For two days after a long ride with plenty of climbing on the weekend, my average commute speed was down by 1/3! Felt so fatigued and just didn't enjoy riding at all :shock:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:14 pm

Calories in, calories out. Eat smaller meals more often.
If you dont supply your body with the nutrients it needs, then expect it to burn out.

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Don't Panic! :) your body is just adjusting, happened to me too. After a while it'll ease off. Eating better in general will help with your overall fitness and make sure you eat after riding.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Starfire

Postby Starfire » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:14 pm

I eat all the time! A bit too much, I think and I don't always keep to the good stuff. 3 o'clock and I get the munchies. Usually at the end of my ride (a tiny 4.2k commute each way!) I'm yawning and needing a lot more air in the system.
Replace some carbs with fats and proteins (tuna being an easy choice)
I don't like tuna. Is there something similar that would be just as good? I love fruit but I just don't find it very filling.

brauluver and bowie, I have had my iron levels tested and they're a little low but not in any danger :)
Starfire: I am happy to see her. But Blackfire rules the videogames and she is able to share very depressing poems AND she knows the cool moves and she always knows when people are NOT talking about shovels.

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:05 pm

bowie wrote: Insert into the Microwave for 23secoonds and you will be happy happy happy :P
Really??!! Only 23 seconds? Im a 26 second man myself. Its that extra burn the roof of your mouth, hot melty bits that make 26 seconds the ideal number. Any less, and your a girly man skirt. (sorry ladies) :lol:
oohhhh shiny new bike parts : -)

Alex Sniga

Postby Alex Sniga » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere that you feel tired when you are dehydrated. So my advice would be to drink enough water.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 pm

Starfire wrote: I don't like tuna. Is there something similar that would be just as good? I love fruit but I just don't find it very filling.

brauluver and bowie, I have had my iron levels tested and they're a little low but not in any danger :)
Tried a fasting blood glucose test yet ? If not, might be worth getting that checked - to eliminate diabetes or pre-diabetes as a possibility.

Tiredness is a symptom of depleted insulin, and what can help this is looking for low glycaemic index (GI) foods - like fruit and vegies.

When you say you don't find fruit to be filling, what's this in comparison to ? For example, would you find a mars bar to be more filling than two medium apples or three small bananas (these would be about the same number of calories) ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

munga

Postby munga » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:42 am

i find a cup of concrete before a 4.2km commute works fine :wink:

give it 2 weeks and you'll be wondering why you posted this thread.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Starfire, my commute is just under 7 km (or 5.6km if I go over the big hill) but I find I have more energy if I cycle in. Due to timing, I used to eat a normal breakfast then basically jump straight on the bike but this made me feel sick and caused an upset stomach.

For a while I skipped breakfast completely and would eat some fruit (a banana and an apple usually) as well as a mix of almonds and walnuts with sultanas and maybe a muesli bar or two to get me through to lunch. That wasn't smart either though, so now I just have a light breakfast (2 pieces of toast or an English muffin) as early as possible, then the fruit and nuts throughout the morning.

I think the walnuts may be more filling because of their protein content? I also guzzle plenty of water when I arrive (sometimes a bit on the way in) and then keep up the hydration with green tea during the day. Anyway, that's what works for me. Good luck finding what works for you.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Starfire

Postby Starfire » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'm going to look into a better breakfast and better snacks throughout the day. I've never been one for diet changes or diets so wish me luck coz I have no will power!!!

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:47 pm

"The sleep of the just ... "

As in I just ridden 50 km and I need to sleep.

Because of miserable weather I tend to ride a lot less in winter time, but I try and do about 30 minutes a day on the trainer to keep the body "ticking over".

Even though I'm just under 60, now that summer's here I'm still able to knock off 15-20 km of moderately hilly riding most afternoons. (Not a cracking pace, but enough to raise the pulse level and flush out the sweat glands.)

It's probably easier to get to a comfortable level of fitness and try to maintain it rather than let it drop too far and try to regain it.

"There's only one thing better than the sleep of the just. That's the sleep of the just after."

After a health scare when I thought I had gout, I changed my diet pretty radically, and now eat a lot more cereal, muesli and fresh fruit, esp for breakfast, with each succeeding meal (usually) getting smaller. I try and go to bed a wee bit hungry.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell