Max HR

azzurribike

Max HR

Postby azzurribike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 pm

I've started regular interval training based on Max HR. Its was very very difficult. I thought my max was 199 :!: Foolishly believing my logged max shown in Garmin TC (I have an EDGE 705). Upon careful checking I found that the maxs around that number were occuring just after starting my rides from home and a quick 30m descent. I queried this with Garmin and the combination of downhill (not sure why) and at the start of the ride can and definetly does cause spurious results. (skin is dry and jersey flapping)

Just thought I'd share. Tech is great and the Edge is fantastic but should have applied a little more rigour to the Max before setting out to do 6x2 90-92% efforts based on the wrong max. :oops: I was trying to do 98% of my max, so by interval 5 I was just shagged :!:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:27 pm

My 305 gives me wild results until I get a little bit of sweat up and the contacts on the chest strap get a circuit going. A little ultrasound gel would fix that, but I doubt my wife is going near an obstetrician ever again.

What is your actual max HR? Are you relying on TC to give it to you, or using one of the myriad formulae?

Jim

Mattsbike

Postby Mattsbike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 pm

familyguy wrote:My 305 gives me wild results until I get a little bit of sweat up and the contacts on the chest strap get a circuit going. A little ultrasound gel would fix that, but I doubt my wife is going near an obstetrician ever again.

I have a 305 as well and have found that a bit of saliva on the contacts works well. I've also discovered that should a wild reading occur, a quick adjustment of the contact solves the problem.

Matt
Matt

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:36 pm

I was subscribing and I guess still do to the theory that max is not formula or age driven its simply your max.

So I looked at my Garmin numbers and saw a few around 199 and beleived it. What I should have done is just found a big hill hammered it and taken a specific reading after I had warmed up. Which I am still to do. After looking through about 60 rides (since I got the edge) I have a fair degree of faith that the maxs I now beliveve are mid ride on some sprint sections where the guys in the ride have a go. I will probably stick with 188 even if the number when I hammer a hill is higher.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 pm

I have a polar and find the heart rate is also wildly inaccurate until I get a good sweat up, unless I wet the part of the strap that is designed to contact the skin. All good if I do that before the ride.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 pm

azzurribike wrote:I was subscribing and I guess still do to the theory that max is not formula or age driven its simply your max.

So I looked at my Garmin numbers and saw a few around 199 and beleived it. What I should have done is just found a big hill hammered it and taken a specific reading after I had warmed up. Which I am still to do. After looking through about 60 rides (since I got the edge) I have a fair degree of faith that the maxs I now beliveve are mid ride on some sprint sections where the guys in the ride have a go. I will probably stick with 188 even if the number when I hammer a hill is higher.

Estimated HR's are +/- 30% of reality according to the model. If your real HR is higher - stick with reality.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

RobS

Postby RobS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 pm

> Estimated HR's are +/- 30% of reality according to the model. If your real HR is higher - stick with reality.

Formulas are based on statistical averages and are pretty much meaningless to an individual other than providing a ballpark figure (with the bounds of the spread). ( A coin is 50% heads and 50% tails before you flip it but a given flipped coin is what it is.)

sogood

Re: Max HR

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 pm

azzurribike wrote:Just thought I'd share. Tech is great and the Edge is fantastic but should have applied a little more rigour to the Max before setting out to do 6x2 90-92% efforts based on the wrong max. :oops: I was trying to do 98% of my max, so by interval 5 I was just shagged :!:

By my understanding, 6x2 interval is pretty much an all out effort at an exertion level that'll permit you to just last for 1.5-2 mins. It's pure anaerobic effort. HRM and PMs have no immediate feedback values during these intervals.

And yes, you are supposed to die at the end of one of these sets! So throw away your HRM and gradually try to improve your stamina and anaerobic power so that you are able to complete 6 repeats. You are doing pretty well to be able to complete 5 at this stage.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Max HR

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 pm

sogood wrote:
azzurribike wrote:Just thought I'd share. Tech is great and the Edge is fantastic but should have applied a little more rigour to the Max before setting out to do 6x2 90-92% efforts based on the wrong max. :oops: I was trying to do 98% of my max, so by interval 5 I was just shagged :!:

By my understanding, 6x2 interval is pretty much an all out effort at an exertion level that'll permit you to just last for 1.5-2 mins. It's pure anaerobic effort. HRM and PMs have no immediate feedback values during these intervals.

And yes, you are supposed to die at the end of one of these sets! So throw away your HRM and gradually try to improve your stamina and anaerobic power so that you are able to complete 6 repeats. You are doing pretty well to be able to complete 5 at this stage.

HR is useless for guiding efforts of 2-min duration.

For something of that length (quite a strange choice of interval length I might add), then it would still be best to pace it evenly, and a power meter is definitely your friend for those.

Predominantly anaerobic focussed efforts of 30-90-sec can be paced by power, or done "all-out" depending on what one is trying to achieve.

An effort of 1.5-2 min, even done "all-out", still has a majority of energy production from aerobic metabolism. About 55%-65% of the energy for such an effort would come from aerobic metabolism.
Last edited by Alex Simmons/RST on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 pm

See this thread for some recent discussion on training with HR:
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10207