New kid on the block

open topic, for anything cycling related.

New kid on the block

Postby pospete » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:10 pm

Just not a kid tho. Hi I'm Pete. 12 years ago I had a mountain bike and used to run my old MTB Club in Hampshire UK. So the OH bought me a bike, and helmet, gloves and all, so that I can get to commute to the beach. It's gonna need some work tho. I collected the bike on Monday ( 38C) and after assembing it went to the beach, for a swim, and took a train from Flinders to Box Hill, and just the last 4k home. today was just a 26K ramble out. I ache in places I thought i could never ache, and I havn't as yet found a comfortable position for the saddle. I think that'll take some time. The rump is very tender!!! Anyhow I'm going to stick with it as I want to be able to commute to the beach, and ideally home again, without relying on the train. Even with 24 gears I am finding it a struggle but i think thats cos of the medication I am on. And lack of muscle , general fitness and stamina. I guess that'll just take a bit of time, but I'm impatient!!! Anyhow just thought I'dd say Hi, and I'dd welcome any advice, apart from, marry a sheep. I heard thats only legal in Tasmania.
pospete

by BNA » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm

G'Day there, Pospete. Welcome aboard. :D
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:41 pm

It can take time to build the muscles and break in the callouses. It's all worth it though **sigh, lying to a new chum :D**

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby pospete » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 pm

I am also going to enjoy lowering the tone in these forums, in a nice way of course, and very politely.
pospete

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 am

Hi Pospete,

saddles are a funny things, when you are new they may be a bit painful on long rides however you will get used to it. However, when you have much more train ing and do an epic ride you may find that there is still some pain but because you are all into your 'cycling mind games' then the pain is comforting. There have been some discussions about the right knicks as there are ones which a better and worse. If the pain becomes worrying you may need to have a look around if there are other saddles which may be better or get your riding style checked out.

(The Cycling Mind Games is fascinating so I am going to start a new topic about this... how exciting!!)

Regarding marrying a sheep, it's not legal in Tasmania as far as I am aware, but you enquire with some of our Kiwi friends.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pospete » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:47 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hi Pospete,

saddles are a funny things, when you are new they may be a bit painful on long rides however you will get used to it. However, when you have much more train ing and do an epic ride you may find that there is still some pain but because you are all into your 'cycling mind games' then the pain is comforting. There have been some discussions about the right knicks as there are ones which a better and worse. If the pain becomes worrying you may need to have a look around if there are other saddles which may be better or get your riding style checked out.

(The Cycling Mind Games is fascinating so I am going to start a new topic about this... how exciting!!)

Regarding marrying a sheep, it's not legal in Tasmania as far as I am aware, but you enquire with some of our Kiwi friends.

Well I kept re adjusting the saddle angle and now it's fairly comfortable, at least there's no pain. Everything is set up a ok, but might have to look for new handlebar, as my wrists hurt on this straight bar.
Talk to the hand
pospete

Return to General discussion