Mavic Patents Spoke Lacing Technology

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mavic Patents Spoke Lacing Technology

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:38 am

Before I do a copy and paste, it is best to link directly to the source whch describe the new Mavic patented R2R spoke/hub system.

Bike Europe: Mavic Patents Spoke Lacing Technology

This article caught my attention thinking more about a certain lacing pattern which was patented however it is a system - obviously better, lighter, faster and sexier than the rest :)

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

mountainman403

Postby mountainman403 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:22 am

I run Topolino wheels for racing and they have been doing the exact same thing for years.
1 carbon spoke runs from one side of the rim passes through the hub and onto the other side of the rim. Very strong and lite.
Wilier
Dura Ace
Topolino
7.2kg
Walk a mile in my shoes and you will probably get blisters with these DAMB cleats.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Since the rim wall between each spoke hole is subjected to very little stress, it is possible to mill it to save weight.
I dont see how it changes the stress on the rim wall? how do you service the wheels? seems maybe closer to disposable wheels. I'd want to hear from a mechanic who has trued one before I'd say anymore.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:19 pm

Rustguard,

True - First takers are always facing this risk - but earn brownie points and become the leaders if a system, technology, idea sets itself through. With new ideas you have less than 1% of the market adopt it initiallly - with luck these then influence the next 10 - 20% and if it trials well it has a good chance of taking off.

A lot of factors come into play, you mentioned servicing, there is also the pricing, marketing and market position as well as fulfilling a (possibly perceived) need. The majority of buyers wait until it is tried and tested - which is fair.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Obviously utilizing the unique characteristics of CF in that design. I suspect it's one of those designs that doesn't require truing, or rather it's all locked down tight in the factory and the wheel will either disintegrate or stay true forever.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 am

sogood wrote:...it's all locked down tight in the factory and the wheel will either disintegrate or stay true forever.
Not really filling me with confidence...

Interesting idea, pity the photos arent bigger.

Jim

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 am

familyguy wrote:Not really filling me with confidence...
Don't blame you. But in reality and based on user reports, these CF wheels can be incredibly strong. Just don't abuse it in a way it wasn't designed for. I suspect it has a similar construction as used by Lew's VT-1 in that the CF spokes are all factory bonded and any repair will need a return. But at 850g, it's a small inconvenience to those who are willing to fork out the $$$$.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.