My First Imperial Century (with tips for commuters)

martinjs

My First Imperial Century (with tips for commuters)

Postby martinjs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:23 pm

I completed my first Imperial Century of 163.51k's today.
It was a good trip but rather long so I have decided to tell the story in the hope I can pass on some tips to average speed riders because the total trip time was just over 7 hours riding time and an average speed of 23.27kph. Total trip time was over 8 hours.

First I ride in the Riverina and at this time of year it is usually hot, dry and windy, also it's some times hard to get water so it's a good idea to take as much as you can carry, same with food. If you look at the map there is a few small towns but some are only 1 or 2 house and on the weekends some have nothing open.

I started about 8:30am from my home just out side of Leeton and headed of through Leeton to Griffith going Via Irrigation Way then via Wilga Rd and Kidman Highway. My first stop was only 30k's out but it took me awhile to get there as I was battling head winds and cross winds.

Just off Wilga Road.

I found it best to ride via Cadence rather than speed as I wanted to pace myself and not get stressed out because I was going to slow and with regular stops I filled up with fluids and ate small snacks of K time bars with a hand full of soft lolly's.

Finally got to Griffith and decided to have KFC for lunch (not a tip but a treat) also stopped of at Donut King for a Coffee and a Donut. YUMM
:oops:

After a quick look in Bunnings and EB games I was on the road again, at first I was only going to go strait back to Leeton but at Wilga Road I decided to continue down the Kidman Way on to Darlington Point. The whole way to Darlington Point I had head winds and about 30c.
I felt it best to keep taking on regular small drinks and just keep up a steady pace at this stage I was just over 80k's into the ride.

Taken about half way between Griffith and Darlington Point on the Kidman way, I think it's a winery but there was no sign's at all.

On the road on the Kidman Way between Griffith and Darlington point.

I arrived at Darlington Point to find a Hairdresser and a Op shop open but nowhere to buy a drink.
I still had some water and half a bottle of Endura. I made up 2 600m bottles of Endura Electrolyte drinks and also carried another 2 liters of water which I kept filling up if I could. I refilled My bike bottle at Griffith Darlington Point and Whitton and drank out of my other bottles on my stops.

Last long rest stop and turning for home.

Murrumbidgee River at Darlington Point.

After a 10 or 15 minute stop for drinks (Filled my drink bottle at the toilets) and more food I finally headed for home only 55k's to go and finally have the wind across my shoulder but I avoided the temptation to push to hard by this time I had been on the road for just on 5 hours.

I headed back via Stephenson St now at least getting some better speeds.

Couldn't go passed these trees, Pic taken about half way between Darlington Point and Whitton very unusual specially out here because it's pretty dry and baron.

Finally not far to go now, I stopped at Whitton at the public toilets for a quick leak and to top up my water bottle from my frozen (now totally defrosted) 1.25 litre bottle. Still cold, ate my last K time bar and scoffed a few more lollys and was on the road again with only 28k's to go.

All good from here, I turned back on to Irrigation Way and had the strongest winds of the day and finally full on tails winds. Just the way I planned it, luckily the winds stayed pretty much the same direction all day. Finally arrived at home around 5pm.

On the whole it was a good day and when I arrived home I was only slightly hungry and thirsty. I put a bit of planning into the original ride of what I thought to be 130k ride and with eating lunch at Griffith was able to complete my ride still with a bit in reserve(not much)
When planning on a long ride try to roughly work out how long it's going to take as that will make a difference with how much water and food you take. If it had not been for my Griffith stop and buying lunch I would have had to take more food.

Riding in the remote county areas take a little more planing then riding in more populated areas as you really need to make sure you have what you need. eg: food, water and spares, I also try and make sure I have some cash and my mobile phone. Cash because a lot of the small places still don't have EFT machines.

Also ride for the conditions, I put on plenty of suncream and reapplied a couple of times and as I have fair skin I wore my new long sleeved Ground Effects ZZ Tops and finally enjoy your self.

I did. 8) :D
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:57 pm

well done, martin!
I'm still summoning the gumption to break the metric century.... gotta crack that 80K ceiling, here!
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 am

Nice one Centurian :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:00 am

Sweet ride!...nice one.Takes some doing to stay in the saddle that long!.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:03 am

Great report. Congrats on your achievement !!

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:21 am

Nice ride Martin, enjoyed the read and the pics. I assume those are flame trees.

Good on you for cracking the imperial ton too :D

two40

Postby two40 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 am

Congratulations! It's a great effort and a nice read. Loved all the photos.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 am

Well done mate. Good ride and great report ;-). You've done a huge amount of km this year too - well done!
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:34 am

HappyHumber wrote:well done, martin!
I'm still summoning the gumption to break the metric century.... gotta crack that 80K ceiling, here!

+1
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Pax wrote:Nice ride Martin, enjoyed the read and the pics. I assume those are flame trees.

Thanks for the feed back I've never seen one possibly a Illawarra Flame Tree. Strangely the back of the tree was totally green. :shock:

Most of my achievements this were inspired by this forum, can't help reading about other great trips and goals being reached and thinking wow, that looked like fun, must give it ago. :)

TLL as for being in the saddle for that long at the time I was have such a good time I didn't want to stop. I really enjoyed the whole day, but I have a few saw bit today. :oops:

I would love to do more trips but was only able to get this one in as my wife and young kid;s were visiting family in Victoria so I had the day to my self. :D

Ride On
Martin

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Well done...

I lived in Griffith till I was 7, and have been back a few times. Great area for a ride like that. I agree about good preparation for somewhere like that, you could get caught out very easily if you ran dry.

Jim

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Congrats Martin. Loved the report. The 163kms will contribute nicely to your December total and to your 14000km goal :D

Hebden

Re: My First Imperial Century (with tips for commuters)

Postby Hebden » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Great ride and report martinjs!

martinjs wrote:Image

Taken about half way between Griffith and Darlington Point on the Kidman way, I think it's a winery but there was no sign's at all.

I am thinking Waco Texas :-)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:20 pm

congrats! excellent write up too mate
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

joneblaze

Postby joneblaze » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Congratulations - well done stopping to snap those photos too! ;)

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:37 pm

good work Martin, sounds like a good adventure.
The roads in the photos look fairly cycle friendly with a bit of a shoulder for you, are most roads like that out your way?

Don

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Most but some time's the shoulders just disappear. Some of the back roads are narrow and have no shoulders. :shock: A bit hairy when you get 2 trucks passing each other. :shock: :shock:

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:54 pm

martinjs wrote:Most but some time's the shoulders just disappear. Some of the back roads are narrow and have no shoulders. :shock: A bit hairy when you get 2 trucks passing each other. :shock: :shock:

When I was there 1983-1986 many of the minor roads were 1 car/truck wide, and to pass another car both vehicles had to drop LHS wheels off the tar.

Good effort Martin on the ride.
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the pics and details.

I only just broke 50k on Sat, tales like this keep me inspired.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:14 am

Good on you! 200kms beckons. All you need to do now is encourage the Boss to go on more trips to Victoria!

lemmiwinks

Re: My First Imperial Century (with tips for commuters)

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:11 am

martinjs wrote:Image

Considering the area, it's more likely a grass castle mate :wink:

Congrats on the ride, good report.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC