First ride In A While

ScouserDeluxe

First ride In A While

Postby ScouserDeluxe » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:56 am

Well today was the day, took my bike out for a little get to know you ride.
First time I have been on a decent bike for 16 years.
Had to get used to the differant type click ins as the last ones I had were early Look ones, not too difficult.
Then had to also get used to the new style gear change, god its so easy !
We did a slow comfortable 5kms and it felt great.
Now to try and do it every night for a while before I build up.
Any beginner training ideas for a mid 40's newbie.

Dave

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi Dave,

Not sure if you are a 'down south' Adelaidean but near me is the bike path which runs down to Mclaren Vale. There's a good mix of ups, downs and flats. It runs off the Southern Express Way but you can also join it near the South Rd, Panatalinga intersection.

I'm sure there are others who can help you out more.

Tim

snark

Postby snark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:49 pm

I started off slowly after a lay-off of 20-odd years. Took a few weeks or more to build up to about 20-25 mins every day of the week in a reasonably hilly area with a longer ride on Sundays on a flat bike path. That was on the old Huffy.

I picked up a Giant CRX4 in mid-October and signed up for a 60km ride (that is next week!) almost straight away in a rush of enthusiasm, and ended up finding a few training programs on the LIVESTRONGchallenge site for 40 miles (64km) in 6 weeks and 12 weeks and made something for the 8 weeks I had based on those.

One thing I've really noticed is that going from shorterish rides everyday and jumping into longer rides than I'd done but having frequent rest days (3 a week) make a big difference. I did a 3 hour 82km ride last weekend that I couldn't have dreamt of doing a couple of months ago.

And remember some words that Mulger Bill said when I joined here - the number 1 rule is to have fun!

Note: Advice from a 40yo, not a mid-40's. Hope it's still valid :)

Simon.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Anything is possible if you decide it is.

I started in Sept 07 (the last time on a bike was when I was 16) doing 17kms in the hills and it killed me. Persevered and got better, longer and faster each week.

Had a great set of riding buddies which made the really long rides better.

Inched up the distances (trying not to bite off more than I could chew) did an imperial century in Sept followed by the 210km ATB ride in October(which I set as a goal ealier in the year - turned 40 two weeks before).
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm

You've made a good start Dave. :D

Only advice I'll give is not to push yourself too hard too soon. At this stage ride purely for the fun aspect until your bum hardens up a bit. Then go nuts :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RobS

Postby RobS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:24 pm

I started riding at 41 and had fairly poor cardio fitness. I did about 1hr every second day without fail (rain, shine, winter summer, tired ... whatever). For the most part I stuck to a training route which had a good share of hills but I regularly explored new places too - after all you have to have fun. On the training route I timed myself and tried to beat my time - it's a good way to see how you are progressing. I found the rest day in between worked out well. Just go at your own pace and don't be a hero. If you damage yourself the time you are out pretty much defeats the purpose of pushing yourself too hard in the first place. In time things get easier and you will know how hard you can go. After about 6 months, I started doing 40km rides every week, sometimes every two weeks.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Dave,

I am pretty in the same situation as you.

At 44 I have decided to get back on a bike and have some fun getting fitter. I started out doing 10 km rides which happens to be the lenght of the ring road in the estate we live in. I also purchased a trainer, so if time prevents me from getting on the road before dark I have no excuse...I do 30 mins on the trainer with a cadence of 90 - 100.

Looking back in my diary my first ride was Nov 8th 17kmh ave, 50 ave cadence. I then did 10 more sessions (either rides or trainer) before I tackled 35 kays last Sunday. Which I proudly posted about !!!

This last week I did 2 sessions (one road, one trainer) and this morning I did a 20 km ride in the rain (felt a bit flat)

Hopefully that gives you a pretty good idea of what you are capable of.

Also I have been going to gym 2 days a week for 2 months, doing some cardio and resistance work. Now going 3 days a week....I dont ride on gym days and have Saturday off.

Cheers
Dave.

PS: Having a bike computer with cadence and keeping a diary have been invaluable.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

ScouserDeluxe

Postby ScouserDeluxe » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks guys.
I dont want to get to serious to start off with, I do want to do it because I enjoy it not because I think I have to do it.
So I think I will start of with my 5 kms at least 3 times a week for a few weeks and see how I feel after that.
Might even manage to get rid of this middle age belly??

Dave

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:26 pm

ScouserDeluxe wrote:Thanks guys.
I dont want to get to serious to start off with, I do want to do it because I enjoy it not because I think I have to do it.
So I think I will start of with my 5 kms at least 3 times a week for a few weeks and see how I feel after that.
Might even manage to get rid of this middle age belly??

Dave

Try to build it up so that you can do 30 to 45 minutes for each session. As RobS has suggested, your first goal needs to be to do something regularly ! no excuses !
RobS wrote:
I started riding at 41 and had fairly poor cardio fitness. I did about 1hr every second day without fail (rain, shine, winter summer, tired ... whatever).

I'd suggest finding a loop where you can alternate between going hard up an easy rise (say 5 m rise over 100 or 200 m) and coasting to recover on the other side. I found doing intervals like this on the Dunc Gray criterium track did wonders for getting some condition in just a few weeks (starting at 53), and it was a very effective fat burner. Set yourself small goals to extend yourself a little bit further each week, and you'll be feeling great in no time.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:55 pm

if your up for a ride im keen
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

RobS

Postby RobS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 pm

> I'd suggest finding a loop where you can alternate between going hard up an easy rise

Here's my old training route,

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/6157

Initially it was 20km but I extended it to 25km. There's quite a few ups and downs, some were quite hard at the time.

I did it on this bike, which had knobbies and weighed over 16kg,
http://www.geocities.com/basspreamp/bic ... 00x600.jpg

This is one of the better morphs of the bike - I would replace parts as I found better ones. The starting state was rather sad with rusted buckled rims and worn tires. I found the bike in a clean-up week. It was my main bike for over a year and a backup for about 6 months after that.

biopace

Postby biopace » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 pm

Good to see a few fellas doing the same do. I also just recently started getting seriously into it after pretty well a 14 year lull. Now Im really enjoying just going for a ride, I actually forgot how good it felt, just you and your bike and the wind in your ears.
If its too late in the afternoon to ride I do about 35-50 mins on the trainer if I can.
I find dedication is the key, and try not to find lame excuses not to ride or train.
Raff

ScouserDeluxe

Postby ScouserDeluxe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:27 am

dr.gonzo wrote:if your up for a ride im keen

I would love to meet up with others for rides but I think I will give it a while, at least until i can actually make it round the block,,lol

Dave