Riding togs

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Riding togs

Postby stryker84 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 pm

don't have jersey/knicks/lycra-of-any-sort.

thinking of starting commuting 10-15k each way. what would you recommend?

t-shirt & shorts? materials to prefer/avoid?

cheers
stryker84
 
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:38 pm
Location: Warrnambool

by BNA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:19 pm

BNA
 

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:19 pm

What are you currently wearing and how do you find it?
A helmet saved my life
User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 14915
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney

Postby europa » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:30 pm

A pair of undies with no seams in the crutch is your first move. Mine are Maxx brand and I got them from Target. They are shorts style and the crutch is one piece from one side to the other - absolutely no problems with them over a trip that length - I've done 70km in them and suffered no chaffing, just lack of padding pain.

Normal sports shorts work well and can be found on special if you look (mine are diadario and cost me ten bucks). Normal, every day t-shirts on top.

Thin socks and I've gone to ankle socks - they just peep up above my shoes and are more comfortable than longer socks. Thin socks are more comfortable inside riding shoes than thicker socks, I think because they allow less movement, but they are the way to go.

I like the riding jerseys because of the pockets in the back. If you're commuting, you might have other places (panniers or backpack) to carry your wallet and keys, but if not, those pockets are very useful and I wear my cycling top for that reason alone. The riding jerseys are also more comfortable as you begin to sweat - the material is designed to wick the sweat away and they actually work (I'm a great sweater).

I finally got some Netti Shyshorts and they are great. Very comfy and don't look odd off the bike like racing nicks do. However, they are pricey and need to be washed after each use. Netti and no doubt other firms, also make an undernick - it's the same crutch pad but with a lighter, looser lycra, designed to be worn under shorts. You don't have the fashion hassles of nicks (if that's an issue) but more to the point, they are about half the price.

So, my recomendation is to get the smooth seemed undies, short style rather than briefs - I had the leg elastic in briefs wear a hole in my inner thigh on one trip. Buy a set of lightweight shorts and just wear normal T-shirts.

Depending on how your bottom holds up, buy either the riding jersy or the undernicks as you need them.

Where you go from there is up to your bank manager :shock:

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Bnej » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

If you don't want the back pockets, you can get some pretty nice technical T-shirts from places like Paddy Pallin, which have the same types of wicking fabric.

Also the yellow & black workwear T-shirts can be pretty good, they're also made for people who are going to be sweating all day, and they're very good for visibility.
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Re: Riding togs

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:17 pm

stryker84 wrote:don't have jersey/knicks/lycra-of-any-sort.

thinking of starting commuting 10-15k each way. what would you recommend?

t-shirt & shorts? materials to prefer/avoid?

cheers




Natural fibres by and large are better than man made, unless you use specificly cycling gear. You will find the Knicks more comfortable than anything else you can buy. You can buy them skin tight or you can also buy loose fitting shorts that have the padded insert. Top wise, go for light breathable cottons. Whatever distance you cycle, free balling is out, more likely to do yourself an injury! :lol:
User avatar
pospete
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Doncaster, Melbourne

Postby pospete » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 pm

europa wrote:A pair of undies with no seams in the crutch is your first move. Mine are Maxx brand and I got them from Target. They are shorts style and the crutch is one piece from one side to the other - absolutely no problems with them over a trip that length - I've done 70km in them and suffered no chaffing, just lack of padding pain.

Normal sports shorts work well and can be found on special if you look (mine are diadario and cost me ten bucks). Normal, every day t-shirts on top.

Thin socks and I've gone to ankle socks - they just peep up above my shoes and are more comfortable than longer socks. Thin socks are more comfortable inside riding shoes than thicker socks, I think because they allow less movement, but they are the way to go.

I like the riding jerseys because of the pockets in the back. If you're commuting, you might have other places (panniers or backpack) to carry your wallet and keys, but if not, those pockets are very useful and I wear my cycling top for that reason alone. The riding jerseys are also more comfortable as you begin to sweat - the material is designed to wick the sweat away and they actually work (I'm a great sweater).

I finally got some Netti Shyshorts and they are great. Very comfy and don't look odd off the bike like racing nicks do. However, they are pricey and need to be washed after each use. Netti and no doubt other firms, also make an undernick - it's the same crutch pad but with a lighter, looser lycra, designed to be worn under shorts. You don't have the fashion hassles of nicks (if that's an issue) but more to the point, they are about half the price.

So, my recomendation is to get the smooth seemed undies, short style rather than briefs - I had the leg elastic in briefs wear a hole in my inner thigh on one trip. Buy a set of lightweight shorts and just wear normal T-shirts.

Depending on how your bottom holds up, buy either the riding jersy or the undernicks as you need them.

Where you go from there is up to your bank manager :shock:

Richard





A man of many talents, not only in cycling but also in the right undies department. You should have got a job at Grace Brothers :lol:
User avatar
pospete
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Doncaster, Melbourne

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:38 pm

europa wrote:A pair of undies with no seams in the crutch is your first move. Mine are Maxx brand and I got them from Target. They are shorts style.....

Richard


Sounds interesting, especially the 70 k day bit, thanks for the tip :D

I like Ground Effect gear, Supertanker shorts and Ranchslider longlegs, yes the name is lame, :roll: they don't have a chamois but a fleece lined seat which works well under jocks, but i'm going to have a look at Richards undies verry soon :shock: They've got a good range of tops too, ranging from lycra bandit to casual Fred.
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26188
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:29 am

europa wrote:A pair of undies with no seams in the crutch is your first move.


I prefer no undies and a pair of brightly colored spandex pants. I find spandex is much better than lycra. :D
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 pm

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:30 am

Mulger bill wrote: ... but i'm going to have a look at Richards undies verry soon :shock:

I thought this was a cycling forum, not a fetish confession forum!
I think that you should look at some kind of 'shy shorts' or knicks, it's a lot more comfortable with some padding.
Check things out at a bike shop (or Rebel if you don't want to annoy your friendly local guy) then use the online shops like Torpedo7 or UNO.
I've finally overcome my ingrained tendency towards natural fibres - the 'coolmax' / 'technical' synthetics are more effective at cooling, dry more quickly and are very comfortable. You just have to remember to wash them after use - don't let them lie around dirty as they can have a 'memory'.
User avatar
LuckyPierre
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT

Re: Riding togs

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:37 am

pospete wrote:Natural fibres by and large are better than man made, unless you use specificly cycling gear.

Don't count on that. Natural fibres like cotton has by and large been replaced by synthetics in the sporting world. Cotton may soak up sweat but also won't let go as easily. For sporting comfort these days where sweating is involved, quality synthetic is the way to go. One commonly used example is CoolMax fabric.

And if you ever get to the cycling knicks stage, then not wearing undies is the way to go. It may feel unnatural, but that's how it is. Try it and you won't ever go back.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17081
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby europa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:21 am

Just wanted to reinforce that my undies recommendation was for short distances - once you start getting past about 20km, your bottom really does appreciate the padding.

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 am

europa wrote:Just wanted to reinforce that my undies recommendation was for short distances - once you start getting past about 20km, your bottom really does appreciate the padding.

Richard


You've written a few good articles with pictures about the Sow's ear and the new Trek.

How about an article on the undies. Let me know when, and I'll go back on holiday :D
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 pm

Postby europa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 am

As has been pointed out, this isn't a fetishist site, but if you want to go to http://www.. .

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby pospete » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:27 pm

europa wrote:As has been pointed out, this isn't a fetishist site, but if you want to go to http://www.. .

Richard







is'nt it? Oh dam! I wondered why the chat was so casual. It is mildly fetishist tho, I mean a bunch of guys with their bikes etc. The only one so far who appears to have a thing for alternative undies is you! hehehe. must be something in the water over there.
User avatar
pospete
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Doncaster, Melbourne

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:32 pm

europa wrote:As has been pointed out, this isn't a fetishist site, but if you want to go to http://www.. .

Richard


That web link doesn't work :cry: Are you sure you have it correct? :D
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:32 pm

Postby pospete » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 pm

bicyclewa wrote:
europa wrote:As has been pointed out, this isn't a fetishist site, but if you want to go to http://www.. .

Richard


That web link doesn't work :cry: Are you sure you have it correct? :D




yeah no bottle to post the full address cos then we'dd all know what he is really like! :lol:
User avatar
pospete
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 pm
Location: Doncaster, Melbourne


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit