Slippery brake levers

whichway

Slippery brake levers

Postby whichway » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi

It's getting hotter and more humid, and I noticed that my fingers are getting sweatty and wet. The grip on the hoods is not as positive and my
beautifully polished 105 brake levers are very slippery. If I hit a little bump when I am just starting to put on the brakes, my fingers can easily slip off the levers.

I use fingerless gloves, but they don't seem to stop the sweat.

Anybody else have this issue

Whichway

PS never would have happened with the old 600 levers which had a knurling that minimised slipping. Are the new levers a triumph of form and marketing over function and friction.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Have you tried CF levers. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Slippery brake levers

Postby Boognoss » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:05 pm

whichway wrote:Hi

It's getting hotter and more humid, and I noticed that my fingers are getting sweatty and wet. The grip on the hoods is not as positive and my
beautifully polished 105 brake levers are very slippery. If I hit a little bump when I am just starting to put on the brakes, my fingers can easily slip off the levers.

I use fingerless gloves, but they don't seem to stop the sweat.

Anybody else have this issue

Whichway

PS never would have happened with the old 600 levers which had a knurling that minimised slipping. Are the new levers a triumph of form and marketing over function and friction.
I have encountered this problem with both my 105 bike and Ultegra levers. I also wear fingerless gloves. Haven't hit this with my full-length gloves but that's not a solution for summer. I don't have a solution either :oops: .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:56 pm

maybe some sort of adhesive on the levers? are you adverse to attaching things to the levers? cause i mean you could try a few things to see what would give you more grip. maybe even some small rubber strips or something? :?:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

fitz

Postby fitz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Are you set up correctly? I feel you should have a curled grip when you need to brake. Is your reach too long?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Put a strip of stick on grip tape down the lever. You can get a colour to match your bike or I think you can even get clear. When you don't need it anymore, just peel it off (i.e. when winter comes).

Cheers,
David

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Anyway, you shouldn't use the brakes, they slow you down... :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Change your gloves. I use Pearl Izumi Gel Vent gloves which have big holes punched in the palm. I can lift my fingers from the bars and get a breeze through the holes (about 5mm diameter). Doesn't help me on the trainer though :(

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:37 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Put a strip of stick on grip tape down the lever. You can get a colour to match your bike or I think you can even get clear. When you don't need it anymore, just peel it off (i.e. when winter comes).

Cheers,
David
thanks. i was trying to think of something like this but for the life of me couldnt. i was thinking 'sandpaper'?

i knew it had a 'proper' name haha
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm

I suggest using the stuff they put on tennis racquets. It has some sponginess in it as well as gripiness.

You can also get clear coating for concrete surfaces that dries to a very good grip. They use it on slippery smooth floors. I don't know if they make versions for metal floors, but I suspect they do. You might be to get a small can from Bunnings or a safety shop.

Let us all know. Photos, or it didn't happen.

David

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 pm

If you don't mind the aesthetics of it...

Heatshrink tubing, the non adhesive type.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011