UK verus Austalia ... The numbers say it all

Aushiker

UK verus Austalia ... The numbers say it all

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:22 pm

G'day

UK cycling gets £24m windfall from Sport England

Plans include a new network of traffic-free cycle facilities and employing more regional competition development officers, Go-Ride coaches and staff on British Cycling’s Everyday Riding programme.

Cycling funding gap Down Under

In its Victorian Transport Plan, the state government said it would inject AU$100 million into cycling over the next 12 years. Local campaign group Bicycle Victoria said this was too small, amounting to just "20 cents a head extra".

Andrew

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm

It ain't 24 million squid, but there's this

I love our new premier! See him out on the bike path at lunch time quite often!

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 pm

m@ wrote:It ain't 24 million squid, but there's this
Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

toff

Postby toff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(
Well put lemmiwinks. Bikes belong on the roads. Additional infrastructure is probably not needed, when for a fraction of the cost, drivers could be educated.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Although reading further;
The Mercury wrote:Mr Bartlett also said both motorists and cyclists needed to be more considerate of each other on the state's roads.

"Cyclists need to be sensible and courteous in their use or the road, they need to obey the road rules - motorists though also need to recognise cyclists' right to use the roads - and to ride two abreast in fact.

"These are the things we need to educate the population about. I'm considering an education campaign around motorists and cyclists working better together."

And he ruled out a registration scheme for bike riders.
So that's good IMO.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:54 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(
Agreed, though they are good for getting kids on bikes at an early age as many parents won't let 'em ride on roads these days. Provided there is adequate education of cyclists' right to the road I think they're a good thing.

A fair bit of the money is also going toward on-road bike lanes, which could be good if they are actually done to a decent standard.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:02 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:
Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(
But not everyone rides on the roads nor do they want to or should they have to. Maybe appropriate bike path infrastructure and an education program is an appropriate comprise so that ALL users get a fair go.

Andrew

rob e

Postby rob e » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 pm

The TAS premier is on to it......bike paths + rider/driver education as to cyclists rights on the ROAD.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

What a Legend!
He even looks like a normal bloke :lol:

Lucky you.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 pm

brauluver wrote:

What a Legend!
He even looks like a normal bloke :lol:

Lucky you.
I'm just curious at the bear on a tandem in the background... ?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:23 am

Aushiker wrote:
lemmiwinks wrote: Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(
But not everyone rides on the roads nor do they want to or should they have to. Maybe appropriate bike path infrastructure and an education program is an appropriate comprise so that ALL users get a fair go.

Andrew
My point is that cyclists have a right (enshrined in law) to use the road. That right is only begrudgingly recognised by most road users, not at all by some. If you build an expensive cycling specific infrastructure it adds fuel to the fire for those who yell abuse, throw things, write mocking newspaper articles about how bicycles don't belong on the road because they hold up cars and potentially those who write legislation.

As for not wanting to use the road, that's a personal choice that people are perfectly entitled to make, however I don't see why they deserve special treatment. Maybe they should just HTFU.

Kid_Carbine

Re: UK verus Austalia ... The numbers say it all

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:23 am

Just to put that into perspective, the conversion of Pounds Sterling to $ Au as at this moment is $52,904,164.01 AUD
Over $52millions Au, & that compares to, ...............
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
lemmiwinks wrote: Bike paths erode the perception of our right to the road in the minds of other road users :(

Andrew
My point is that cyclists have a right (enshrined in law) to use the road. That right is only begrudgingly recognised by most road users, not at all by some. If you build an expensive cycling specific infrastructure it adds fuel to the fire for those who yell abuse, throw things, write mocking newspaper articles about how bicycles don't belong on the road because they hold up cars and potentially those who write legislation.

As for not wanting to use the road, that's a personal choice that people are perfectly entitled to make, however I don't see why they deserve special treatment. Maybe they should just HTFU.
Sorry mate but as far as most people are concerned your argument will only be valid when there are as many bicycles on the road as there are cars.
Not my circus, not my monkeys