Had the first stack - pretty decent too...

Nate

Had the first stack - pretty decent too...

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Just back from hospital...

In Sydney, cycling along mowbray, went over the pac highway.
All the cars are banked up turning right (which is what i have to do) & there's a turning lane going the other way with no on coming cars.

So i did the wrong thing & went up the double lines (3 free lanes the other way), then a guy waiting decides to do a u turn (there's no houses or driveways opposite)... no blinker or nothing.

So i hit the back of his ute (AT) a pretty easy 30k's or so.

Just remember the car pulling out (gassed it pretty hard), & having "that" feeling that its all over... next thing i know i'm on the road.
felt OK, but the shoulder started to get worse & worse as i got home(5min walk).

Had the x-rays & nothing broken, AC joint is pretty stuffed, slight tear possibly & enlarged the joint - so cant move the arm for a bit, but i'm pretty happy nothing else.
barely a graze otherwise.

The bike seems OK, front wheel needs a bit of true-ing, flight deck shifters - scratched & one of the caps is smashed, & i think twisted on the bars.
Rear deraileur has a scratch on it, not sure if its bent or not.

I'll have a very close look over the forks & frame a bit later on. Anything to look for?

Spoke with the cops, they said cause i wasnt strictly obeying the law, if they did a report someone would HAVE to be at fault & be fined ($300), which could quite possibly be me... so i'll leave it.

Bad day... could be worse

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Ouch. Glad you and the bike are relatively ok, one to write down to experience I guess...

superbarok

Postby superbarok » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 pm

glad to know you're ok!

jay

PAIN - this TOO will pass

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Glad that's the limit of damage. Your future is still bright! ;)

This is always the worry I have when trying to weave through stopped or slow traffic.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Any stack you walk away from (even if you're only walking to the hospital) is a good one. Heal up and learn from your mistakes, not much else you can do :)
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

philip

Postby philip » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:08 pm

hey Nate, bummer, hope you're back on the bike soon, I'm guessing you wont be on the ride tomorrow morning :( glad you're not any worse off though!

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:22 pm

cheers peeps...

yeah spewing bout morrow, was gonna give the A's a run :|

hopefully after a week or two i'll be back on the cycle

bowie

Postby bowie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Ah mate hope your alright.

Nothing like a Ute to ruin your day ah? Would have been alright if it was a 404 perhaps tho :P
b is for bicycle :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Real bummer coming into Xmas.

Tempted to think that festive alcohol might help dull the pain, but sogood or michael will probably tell us smartly that it's not the best thing for promoting healing.

Hope it heals well and you're back on the bike sooner than you think.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Go the festive panadeine forte! (if that's what they give you)

Mate, could have been a truckload worse :shock:

At least you escaped serious injury & will live to ride another day. Count your blessings & learn from this one...

RChoi

Postby RChoi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Ouch... Hope you're alright. Those lights are a pain in their own right! I've had to wait three cycles to get through the right-turn queue. What did the driver say?? Cos pulling a u-turn across a double-line without a blindspot check..

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:11 pm

the ute guy was apologetic, didnt say anything about "sorry" or admitting fault, just very helpful to get me home/hospital.

we were both in the wrong, if either of us didnt do what we did - i'd be fine...

not feeling to bad now, getting more movement... hopefully back on the bike in another week or two... till then have to thrash the cycles at the gym :)