When you are turning right...

tt

When you are turning right...

Postby tt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, what is the rule or the safest way to turn right? should i stay on the left or right of the right lane? I did both and in both occasions, i got beeps from drivers :roll:.

thanks
tt

philip

Postby philip » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Depends on the intersection. At big intersections, I will often do a "hook turn" where I stay in the left lane, pull over and join the traffic waiting to go straight from the left. Otherwise I think you should move to the right of the right lane if there's plenty of room for cars to pass you on your left, or stay right in the middle if you don't think it's safe for cars to pass you while you're waiting to turn.

jasimon

Re: When you are turning right...

Postby jasimon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:20 pm

tt wrote:Hi all,

I'm just wondering, what is the rule or the safest way to turn right? should i stay on the left or right of the right lane? I did both and in both occasions, i got beeps from drivers :roll:.

thanks
tt

There is no best way - it depends on the intersection and the traffic. But whatever you do stay more or less in the middle of the lane you have chosen to be in. If I have a preference it is to be on the left of the right hand lane so that you end up on the left of the road you are turning into rather than in the middle of it (if there is only one lane than by all means make space for people going straight to go past, but you should otherwise be in line with all other right turning traffic not expecting or allowing them to squeeze past you and create problems). Try to signal (sometimes not possible due to need to apply brakes) and then act like a car. If they beep, ignore them, they'll get over it.

At some intersections I do a hook turn (Pacific Highway/Miller St at North Sydney - you need to cross three lanes of heavy traffic up a hill) at most others I just get into the right hand lane.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:28 pm

When turning right, i'm always sure that i take the lane.

Smack bang in the middle.

Keep in mind though, only be in that lane for as long as you need to be, in order to be safe - staying in there for 200metres is probably a bad idea on most roads, wait until there's a gap in traffic if possible, and jump across then.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:38 pm

When turning right I check over my shoulder for a gap, indicate, move right, keep indicating (if possible) and turn right. That way drivers know what you're doing and as such shouldn't beep. Any that still do are just !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! so just ignore them.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 pm

I agree with what has already been said , IT DEPENDS!
I would watch out for what other cyclist do at that intersection. In most cases I have found it best to take up the lane but it still comes down the the Intersections design.

If ever in doubt what you should do go with the hook turn, it's legal and in many cases the safest option!

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

cooper

Postby cooper » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:46 pm

i always sit in the middle of the right turn lane, arm out to show what my intention is and move to the left asap when the turn is done.

Also, i drive buses for a living, and if another cyclist is one the road, i would rather they be right in front of me when turning so i can follow safely, better for both of us.

wintal

Postby wintal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I would say what to _not_ do is move to the centre of the road (ie the right edge of the right lane) - cars will overtake you, and they won't do it safely (I see people doing this a lot).

I avoid having to turn right on big roads like this ;) There's one place where I do it on my commute, and I (can) do it in such a way that other cars don't get near me :P

Cheers,
Leighton...

JustinS007

Postby JustinS007 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Caelum wrote:When turning right, i'm always sure that i take the lane.

Smack bang in the middle.

+1.

Being on the edge of the lane encourages drivers to get in your way.

J.
I'm a runner, but I sure love to ride!

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:54 pm

Centre of the lane. Staying to one side only encourage car drivers to attempt to squeeze past you.

I do the hook turn thing if its really busy and there isn't a dedicated turn right lane (unless I'm in a group, in which case we take the lane over).

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Another +1 for the middle of the lane. If you're turning, the last thing you want is for cars to try to squeeze past you on either side. That will only shunt you out of the turning lane and possibly into traffic. Better a few angry drivers than one dead cyclist.

Also +1 for hook turns. Legal anywhere on a bike, and much safer than a regular turn at busy intersections.

wintal

Postby wintal » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:32 pm

I've had one or two cases of bad behaviour from cars when I'm doing hook turns. Here in WA, they don't seem to realise that it's valid.

Still, it's probably safer than trying to turn right usually.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Take. The. Lane.
Hook turn if you must.

The only way you won't upset the odd knuckle dragger in a smokebox is to not be there at all. Sod 'em.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

tt

Postby tt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:27 pm

great tips everyone. Thanks.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:34 am

philip wrote:Depends on the intersection. At big intersections, I will often do a "hook turn" where I stay in the left lane, pull over and join the traffic waiting to go straight from the left. Otherwise I think you should move to the right of the right lane if there's plenty of room for cars to pass you on your left, or stay right in the middle if you don't think it's safe for cars to pass you while you're waiting to turn.

+1 me too.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!