Olympic Park Circuit Sydney

Lemond

Olympic Park Circuit Sydney

Postby Lemond » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:28 am

Hi, I have not tested this place out yet but what I was wondering is if it is suitable by road biking? I hear there are lots of paths ets but I am not sure this woul be suitable for a road bike out there.

Does anyone have any advice on this? is there a good distance road circuit that can be used there?

Any thoughts from someone who has been would be great.

Cheers
Mark

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:41 am

It's a good place to get out (as long as there is not a large event on).

The bike paths are good for gentle meandering, but if you want to go faster stick to the roads. Here's some ideas for various loops http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/netw ... rchType=tn

Tale

Postby Tale » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm living in the Ryde area now, so I'm doing lots of rides in the Olympic Park direction.

Paths: Watch out for the crazy blind intersections on the bike paths through the parklands. Different directions intersect at right angles, surrounded by thick scrub/mangroves, which is a recipe for deadly collisions. The quietest path I found heads west from the Homebush Bay ferry terminal, along the south side of the Parramatta River. I reached Silverwater and the sun was setting so I needed to head home, but the path seemed to keep heading west and nobody else was around.

Roads: As suggested above, the roads are a better bet, despite the prevalence of cycle paths. They are wide and smooth and always have a cycle lane. Olympic Park is a big area and you can go around and around on wide, well-made roads, and/or straight through Olympic Park either east-west or north-south (prefer north-south as you generally have right-of-way).

I was given a book of Sydney bike rides for Christmas and the Olympic Park area ride is entitled "Cycling Nirvana". For me it's not so great because I love climbing long hills, and there are none - it's all long flat sprinting. If you want to find any hills you have to head over the bridge to Meadowbank and keep going north.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Tale there is the spiral hill there...it is not that long but awesome for super hard efforts.
Lemond,HB is great for training on the road,alot of bunches there especially in winter.2 different loops are used.One is 8km long.But cars can be a big problem so you have to learn the danger spots.
Very good for riding at night especially after 7.30pm,not much traffic after that and no need for descent lights...just flashers front and rear.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Spiral hill...cant remember the length but around 800m...ride up once,roll down and then turn around and hammer...it hurts like hell!.After your first ride it easy to be sure no one is on it as you would pass them on the way down.I only do it at night or early morning.

Tale

Postby Tale » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:55 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Tale there is the spiral hill there.

Yeah I thought about mentioning that, but then I thought "nah" :) My daily Northern Beaches ride before I moved included the hill from Narrabeen up to the Bahai temple, or at least up to the top of Elanora Heights, and I miss that hill. On the suburban streets parallel to Powderworks Road, and then on Powderworks Rd for the last bit.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Try this loop

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/113268

It is a 12.2km loop that runs on both the road and the bike paths around SOP. It is flat (watch out for the slight false flat behind the Arena and Stadium) and the only spots you need to be careful are the intersection of Hill Rd and Bennelong Rd, and where Bennelong Rd turns into Bennelong Rd (yes there is a corner).

You can get consistent speed and cadence going. As Tale says, if you want some hills, cross over the Rhodes Bridge and ride through Meadowbank to the Silverwater Bridge and back into SOP.

wayno

Postby wayno » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:34 pm

goneriding wrote:Try this loop

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/113268

I live in Putney so SOP is my local.

I've got a 30km circuit which is the above loop but from Bicentennial Park I go past Rhodes Shopping Centre, over Meadowbank rail bridge, across Meadowbank Station, through West Ryde (the long way) and back over Silverwater Rd bridge to SOP.

Its a fairly flat around SOP but can get windy along Parramatta River.

I've never tried the Spiral Hill but will have to add it into my circuit.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm

There's 3 spiral hills; one near Silverwater Gaol (this one is smaller than the others), the one on the corner of Hill Rd & John Ian Wing Pde as well as the one pictured above near Wentworth Common.

wayno

Postby wayno » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 pm

alchemist wrote:There's 3 spiral hills; one near Silverwater Gaol (this one is smaller than the others), the one on the corner of Hill Rd & John Ian Wing Pde as well as the one pictured above near Wentworth Common.

Which spiral is the longest/ steepest?

I've accidentally been on the one near Silverwater Jail, it wasn't too great as there was all grassy stuff all over the bike track so it was slippery off line.

alchemist

Giro d'Spirale

Postby alchemist » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Hill Road and Wentworth common are both about 850m long, with Hill road ascending 15m and Wentworth Common 30m according to my GPS

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invi ... ue=7346167

toolonglegs

Re: Giro d'Spirale

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:10 pm

alchemist wrote:Hill Road and Wentworth common are both about 850m long, with Hill road ascending 15m and Wentworth Common 30m according to my GPS

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invi ... ue=7346167

that makes WW spiral about 3.5%...Good for some short efforts...more just a bit of fun.

two40

Postby two40 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Spiral hill...cant remember the length but around 800m...ride up once,roll down and then turn around and hammer...it hurts like hell!.After your first ride it easy to be sure no one is on it as you would pass them on the way down.I only do it at night or early morning.

Where is this spiral exactly?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm

two40 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Spiral hill...cant remember the length but around 800m...ride up once,roll down and then turn around and hammer...it hurts like hell!.After your first ride it easy to be sure no one is on it as you would pass them on the way down.I only do it at night or early morning.

Where is this spiral exactly?

wayno

Postby wayno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 pm

I rode up the spiral today. Its deceptively long. Not steep at all though.

I didn't get any speed up as it is one massive blind corner. As toolong suggested best for early morning efforts