a little accident

miyata84

a little accident

Postby miyata84 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Riding home on Sunday morning I came off my bike very suddenly. I have no recollection of anything as I was knocked out for about 30 seconds. The only thing I remember is becoming aware that I was in an ambulance wearing a neck brace with my friend leaning over me saying 'Don't worry only a couple of more blocks to get to the hospital'.

Then A and E for the xrays then a Ct scan. I remember the nurse cutting my jersey off me and the doctor rolling me over on to my side to do the tests up and down my spine "Can you feel that...?"

About 3 hours later I felt well enough to leave the hospital. I met the ambo bloke who had brought me in ...he said if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I would have been dead. My helmet was an almost brand new Lazer Blade RD 2 which replaced one that I had had for 10 years and was getting very loose.

The bike suffered no damage as I was still clipped in on one side and it came down on me. The helmet is a bin job as it is cracked at the front completely through the plastic and foam. I am still a bit sore and stiff some bruising and minor cuts.

All I can say is I am very grateful I was wearing a fairly new helmet. Does anyone have any information about manufacturer's recommendations to replace helmets every 3 years? Does the foam lose its 'power' to absorb an impact over time?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Glad to hear you're okay miyata. (I assume you could "feel that".)

I believe it's wise to replace helmets every three years or so - they do degrade with time. Check with the maker of your helmet: you may be eligible for a cheap replacement of your broken one. Some makers have a crash damage replacement policy.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 pm

:shock: :shock: Maaaaaaaaaaate :shock:

Glad you got away with that.

Much as I hate the sweaty, itchy, smelly mongrels...

The maker might be interested in the honourably deceased, some of them have a discount replacement scheme too.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Jeebus Rice!! :shock:

That was a lucky one. Glad you are ok.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:06 am

Glad you are ok.

No tech info regarding helmets however the styrene will weaken over time - more so when it is in use and exposed to light, dirt, sweat etc. Styrene becomes more brittle however I can't tell how long it is until you should replace an undamaged helmet.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:06 am

good to hear the only damage is to the helmet.
glad to hear your ok.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

My reading from wikipedia is that polystyrene doesn't degrade - either by age or exposure to sun. But the plastic shells, straps etc. most likely do. Polystyrene is, however, damaged by various chemicals such as acetone (nail polish remover/spray paints) and superglue.

The old 'replace every three years' is for motorcycle helmets where the epoxies in the shell become brittle from UV exposure and shatter on impact. Car seat belts also suffer from UV exposure (elongation of the blet for a given force increases with age) , which is why professional motorsport classes require that the harnesses be replaced every couple of years.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...