Training Targets

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Fundamentally weight loss is dead simple. It's simply impossible to not lose weight when the caloric balance is in the negative. All these fancy physiology and diets are just there to compliment those who like to be sophisticated and not willing to forego some of those life pleasure that'll kill you at some point. ;)

Just remember, there are no fat men in the Sahara desert. Exercise hard and eat a lot less... Weight loss! :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:50 pm

Except you're the one that claims fat is metabolised at different efficiency rates depending on intensity at which we are cycling.

Incorrect. When I used the word efficiency I was referring to what percentage of energy production is obtained through fat metabolism (compared to other sources). Don't tell me what I believe when you won't even read my posts properly.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:41 pm

colafreak wrote:
Except you're the one that claims fat is metabolised at different efficiency rates depending on intensity at which we are cycling.

Incorrect. When I used the word efficiency I was referring to what percentage of energy production is obtained through fat metabolism (compared to other sources). Don't tell me what I believe when you won't even read my posts properly.

Then I must have completely misread this then:
colafreak wrote:Most efficient conversion of fat into energy occurs at the lower intensities, just like I said.

You either mean efficiency or you don't. I am not a mind reader.

The proportion of fat utilisation as a fuel source has nothing to do with efficiency.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:13 pm

Seems that most of us are agreening, within reasonable variations. So here's my summary;

1. Calorie deflect. Use more energy than you consume and the body will call on fat reserves.

2. Minimum Calorie intake. Go too low on calorie intake and the body will ring the "starvation" alarm bell and go into energy conservation mode.

3. High intensity training. Burn as many calories as you can within the available exercise time zone.

4. Increase fitness. The fitter you are, the more calories you can burn during and after exercise.

5. Stronger body. Not touched on a lot in this thread, but when you exercise, you damage your muscles, this is natural. The body will then repair the muscles stronger, however it must use protein to repair the muscles. To strengthen the muscles, you should ensure that there is protein included in every meal. Make sure there is at least a small amount of carbs consumed with the protein because the body uses the carbs to process the protein.

6. Understanding what you are doing. I logged my diet on fitday for a while and was surprised to see that the components of my diet (Protein, Carbs, Fat) were quite different to what I expected. Calorie king is better suited to Australians than fitday for logging your diet.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?