Competition : Black Cat Award (flat tyres) 2009.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm

G'day

Second one for me for 2009. Front on the CRX 1. Saw the glass to late, thought I will pay for this and I did.

2 flats (AT) 481 km per flat.

Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:35 pm

+1 for me....happy new year :roll:

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:45 am

+1 very slow puncture

daacha

Postby daacha » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 am

+3 for me but not sure if they all count. Glass on the M7 lat night for number 1. Mate pinched replacement tube with a tyre lever putting the tyre back on for +2. Same mate broke the valve pumping up another replacement tube for +3. Luckily someone else also had a spare.

daacha

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 pm

+1 which make my first for the year (AT) 865km travelled to that point.

Not just a slow leak or anything convenient, a blow out of 10cm in the front tube putting me on the ground (AT) about 26kph in under a second (was in the middle of turning right at a T intersection). Scratched up both STI levers on my 2 month old commuter :(. I'll see how the bruises come up tomorrow. Am glad it happened on a quiet street rather than 5 mins later on the M2 shoulder though.....

Thanks to MrCooms who was powering off ahead of me, heard the bang and rode back to see if I was OK :-). I ended up changing the tube, taking a dose of HTFU and riding home. Mechanically the bike is OK, just a bit cosmetically unhappy.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:44 pm

daacha wrote:+3 for me but not sure if they all count. Glass on the M7 lat night for number 1. Mate pinched replacement tube with a tyre lever putting the tyre back on for +2. Same mate broke the valve pumping up another replacement tube for +3. Luckily someone else also had a spare.

daacha
Sorry - only counts as one. The wording on rule one needs some work, but you have to have ridden between flats for them to count.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 pm

4 - zoom bean
3 - Muggah, uMP2K
2 - Parrott, Joe, Twizzle, Mr Moo, Aushiker
1 - goneriding, Kev365428, nimm, mikesbytes, JV911, Matt_Matt, McPete, soc, Strawburger, Dunc, snedden9485, Chuck, snark, nimm, toolonglegs, Deanj, daacha, Boognoss

Looks like the fairy has been VERY active.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Boognoss wrote:Not just a slow leak or anything convenient, a blow out of 10cm in the front tube putting me on the ground (AT) about 26kph in under a second (was in the middle of turning right at a T intersection). Scratched up both STI levers on my 2 month old commuter :(. I'll see how the bruises come up tomorrow. Am glad it happened on a quiet street rather than 5 mins later on the M2 shoulder though.....
That is a bummer mate. Glad you are okay by the sounds of things.

Andrew

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Not just a slow leak or anything convenient, a blow out of 10cm in the front tube putting me on the ground (AT) about 26kph in under a second (was in the middle of turning right at a T intersection). Scratched up both STI levers on my 2 month old commuter :(. I'll see how the bruises come up tomorrow. Am glad it happened on a quiet street rather than 5 mins later on the M2 shoulder though.....

Andrew
Thanks, yeah. Pretty lucky given that it happened I guess. The shoulder I landed on is starting to ache so I'll see what my range of movement is like in the morning. How can you get skin off your thigh under your knicks when the knicks are intact? :roll: I'm glad they held together though.....
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

MrCooms

Postby MrCooms » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Good to hear you got back in one piece Simon, it was an all mighty loud pop and landing, I was only thinking a the lights how shiny and new looking your levers were :(. It must have been those band aid's that guy gave you that made you HTFU :P.

I've manged to get 2 flats in the past week along that section of road thanks to some thoughtfull person showing a good 500m of road with glass :evil:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 pm

simonn wrote:Bugga! First of the year.

Nail went through my rear tire heading down Spit Hill (heading north) > 60km. Luckily, no probs other than the flat and a small chip on the outside of the rim.

My Schwalbe Stelvio Plus' have had their unbroken record flattened (ha ha), the same day I make a recommendation. It's enough to make a rationalist superstitious. Mind you, I don't think any tire short of a monster truck would have survived that nail.
The puncture fairy has been appeased, now back to normal programming :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Aushiker wrote: How can you get skin off your thigh under your knicks when the knicks are intact? :roll: I'm glad they held together though.....
Yeah this is common; I have had some nasty road rash with completely intact shorts. My jersey will tear but the shorts seem to be made of tougher stuff. There will sometimes be a damaged part of the short but no tear or anything really noticeable.

Glad to hear you ok Simon. It’s always sad when your shiny new parts get scuffed. :cry:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Hebden wrote:
Aushiker wrote: How can you get skin off your thigh under your knicks when the knicks are intact? :roll: I'm glad they held together though.....
Yeah this is common; I have had some nasty road rash with completely intact shorts. My jersey will tear but the shorts seem to be made of tougher stuff. There will sometimes be a damaged part of the short but no tear or anything really noticeable.

Glad to hear you ok Simon. It’s always sad when your shiny new parts get scuffed. :cry:
Thanks ;-). At least I know the laws of physics are in order then and it wasn't just me. I'm a bit philosophical about the damage. I bought the bike as a commuter so it doesn't need to be a looker (too much).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 pm

G'day

+1 for me on the Look 555. Hit a pot hole which, pretty much straight afterwards I had a flat rear. Nearly went off as I was struggling to unclip and the back was not tracking too good.

On the positive side, got to try out my Cannondale Airspeed Maximum Carbon Pump in anger for the first time. Once I got a good connection (short valve) it worked a treat.

Oh, that is three punctures (AT) 357 km per puncture.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

daacha wrote:+3 for me but not sure if they all count. Glass on the M7 lat night for number 1. Mate pinched replacement tube with a tyre lever putting the tyre back on for +2. Same mate broke the valve pumping up another replacement tube for +3. Luckily someone else also had a spare.

daacha
Gee with "mates" like this you need...to fix your own :P :D :twisted:

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Another damn flat, popped the rear again, this time riding over a drain. Looks like the lead is mine for a little longer.

New total 5 with 192 kpf

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:23 pm

5 - zoom bean
3 - Muggah, uMP2K, Aushiker
2 - Parrott, Joe, Twizzle, Mr Moo, MrCooms
1 - goneriding, Kev365428, nimm, mikesbytes, JV911, Matt_Matt, McPete, soc, Strawburger, Dunc, snedden9485, Chuck, snark, nimm, toolonglegs, Deanj, daacha, Boognoss

Watch out zoom bean, Aushiker is in fast pursuit for that Yellow Jersey!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
+1

See what happens when you anger the "Footpath racing gods" :P . Heed the warning Simon, see you next Tuesday :wink:

Seriously though, glad you're ok.
FPR Ragamuffin

soc

Postby soc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Does this count? Riding home with my boy from school yesterday, noticed my rear was about half flat. Pumped it up and it seemed to hold the pressure ok, so continued on our merry way (it's only a k from the school). When I got home I took the tube out to check and found a very slow leak from the patch from my first '09 flat. I changed the tube for a new one..

So, if it counts, thats 2 for me. If not, yay! :wink:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Grrrrrrr fricking grrrrrrr.

+1 today thanks to glass in the rear tyre of the Corsa while the Tricross is in for a service after Tuesday's tube explosion. Within 700m from home so I walked the bike home rather than blow a CO2 canister. I figured my good average speed was worth keeping vs. the 700m distance I missed out on by stopping the computer where I started pushing the bike. Fortunately I didn't fall of the bike today ;-).

993.49 km total for the year with 2 flats = 496.75km per flat

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Chuck wrote:Heed the warning Simon, see you next Tuesday :wink:
Thanks, and hmmmmmmmmm maybe ;)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:34 pm

5 - zoom bean
3 - Muggah, uMP2K, Aushiker
2 - Parrott, Joe, Twizzle, Mr Moo, MrCooms, Chuck, soc, Boognoss
1 - goneriding, Kev365428, nimm, mikesbytes, JV911, Matt_Matt, McPete, Strawburger, Dunc, snedden9485, snark, nimm, toolonglegs, Deanj, daacha

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 pm

+1 today on Campbelltown Rd, huge nail :evil:
FPR Ragamuffin

colhil

Postby colhil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm

+1.......total 1. 1760 kms since last one, love those gatorskins

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:56 pm

First one for me.

25mm self tapper......destroyed tyre and tube and a nice mark on the inside of the rim, happened (AT) 44kmh !!!

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista