Urgent help... anyone can teach me how to ride a bike?

chloess

Urgent help... anyone can teach me how to ride a bike?

Postby chloess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13 pm

I am beginner and I dont own a bicycle but I am very interested on this activity..

Anyone will be free on thursday or this sunday and can provide me some training? or help?

I live at north sydney -> St Leonards.

Newbie101

Postby Newbie101 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 pm

Try googling some local clubs or bike user groups (BUGs) nearby. Most bugs are family friendly. How old are you, because most clubs and bugs have a "youth" or "kids" sub-group.
Cheers!

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Centennial Park would be the place to be... :)

BTW, why is it urgent? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32 pm

sogood wrote:Centennial Park would be the place to be... :)

BTW, why is it urgent? :shock:
because obviously they feel they cant wait to start riding! the less time off the bike, the better! :wink: 8)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

chloess

Postby chloess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 pm

I am 28. yes.. really want to learn to ride a bicycle and started my new hobby...

I tried to learn it when i was young, I was able to ride for a short distance but not good at balancing... I just hope someone can help me .

SLH

Postby SLH » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 pm

This has "troll" written all over it.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 pm

G'day Chloe,

Welcome to the forum. You win "Newbie of the week Award" this week! :)

I taught my wife to ride a bike - she had never ridden one when we first started going out together, so I thought it would be a great experience for her. It was - we cycle-toured through Tassie the next year.

I'd recommend finding a used mountain bike somewhere. It can be almost any size. You should take the cranks off (take it into the local bike shop [LBS] for this) and just sit and roll down a gentle hill on a road in a big park. Make sure the brakes work before setting off though! Try to get to running speed - no faster and no slower (slower is too hard to control, faster is too scary to start with). Walk back and repeat continuously for an hour or so.

Go back to the LBS and get the cranks reinstalled, repeat the earlier exercise and rest your feet on the pedals. Then start pedalling while you go down hill. Then ride on flat ground, and your finished learning the basics.

Then you just need to practice!

Good luck,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 pm

SLH wrote:This has "troll" written all over it.
Has the potential.

But come to think of it, where and how can an adult learn to ride a bike? There's aren't many options out there. Clubs and BUGs may help, but most members already know how to ride a bike at the time of joining. It would still end up with 1 on 1 assistance.

As I suggested, Centennial Park is probably best as there are bike rental places both inside and just outside the park. And the paths there are long and flat and are ideal for learning.

chloess

Postby chloess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 pm

thanks for the suggestion.

i might head down to the secondhand store to see if i can get a bike or hire a bike. is it safe for me to learn by myself? or will it better if i can a tutor or someone to supervise me?

and for north sydney, where will be a good place to learn? thanks for all the help in advance.. i just feel a bit embrass to ask my friend to help me as my flatmate is actually surprised that she cannot believe there is someone who cannot ride a bike..

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Whether you need someone to assist you depends on where on the learning curve you are. If you can't even balance, then it sure helps if someone can guide you as you take the first few steps. But if you can ride but just lack the confidence, then you can probably do it yourself.

I would suggest that you not buy a bike at this stage as there's a good chance you'll get the wrong size. Come down to Centennial Park and rent one to get used to riding first and then see where you go next.

I am not aware of any good place in N Sydney as it's too hilly there. Ideally you need some open flat space with no traffic to pressure you. Do you have transport to get yourself to CP? It's really nice on a weekday as the place is virtually deserted. Weekends get a bit busier.

BTW, rental shops in and around CP open from 8:30am.
http://www.cyclehire.com.au/

chloess

Postby chloess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 pm

tthanks so much.. that solved part of my problem.. at least i can hire a bike and ride at the park straight away.

Should I get a big bike (adult size)? or will smaller bike will be safer for me?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:38 pm

The store handler would be able to assist you there and they are pretty experienced with advising renters. They also have helmets for rent on-site. But I would say an adult bike for sure but just lower the seat a bit so that you can be confident to start. And if you rent from their location within the park, then you can easily swap for a different one during the rental period.

Their in-park rental place is located on the Grande Dr, b/n Hamilton Dr and Loch Ave, just in front of the toilet block on the left side. It's near the Paddington entrance end of the park just after the cannons.

chloess

Postby chloess » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 pm

i hope you dont mind if i ask..

I am quite new to sydney. and I never been to the Centennial park.. I will be going there by train. will it be closer for me to get off from the central station? and just walk to the park??

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm

For balance, those little fold up scooters are great. My middle daughter has steadfastly refused to ride a bike preferring her (actually my) fold up scooter, on which she is a devil, Now that bigger sister is riding with dad on the road, she is suddenly interested again. New tyres on the retro bmx and she was riding without help in less than 5 minutes. It's all about balance, speed and overcoming fear.

Good luck,
David

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I agree with sogood.
Chloess, your best bet is to go to the bike hire store and discuss it with them. Recommended is to visit them at a time when they are not busy - otherwise they won't be able to spend time with you and work out your needs.

Chloess, you will need a bus from Central Station, it is too far to walk - is I remember correctly, Centennial Park Hire is on the East Side of the park (i.e. the far side from the direction of the city). Best to consult a map eg www.wikimapia.com and train and bus service plans.

If the issue about riding is more about confidence then discuss this with the staff at the store and get them to provide you with a suitable bike ... If they have time they may be prepared to come out with you as you start and give you a hand getting used to it.

Once you have confidence, I recommend getting hold of a bike, practicing riding and joining a BUG (Bicycle User Group) in your area - they often have events however are not competition orientated like a club, rather more leisure and socially based (plus cycling advocacy of course).
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Oh dear... It's not directly accessible by train. From N Sydney, you'll need to change to a bus in the city. There are quite a number of buses that go that way, either Oxford St or Anzac Pde. I would suggest one of the Oxford St buses as it'll take you closest to the Paddington gates where the bike rental stand is closet. Get off on Oxford St near the junction with Moore Park Rd/Queen St (ie. At the very end of the shopping section in Paddington). Otherwise you can go to Bondi Junction and change for a bus.

Try http://www.sydneybuses.nsw.gov.au/

380/389 seemed to be the go from Elizabeth St.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:05 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Chloess, you will need a bus from Central Station, it is too far to walk - is I remember correctly, Centennial Park Hire is on the East Side of the park (i.e. the far side from the direction of the city).
The stores are located on Clovelly Rd, including Cheeky Monkey Sports. But the rental link provided above has an in-park rental point near the Paddington gates end of the park, 100m from the cafe. Given the lack of private transport, this would be the easier location.

AlanD

Postby AlanD » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:14 pm

It's about a 1km walk from Bondi Junction train station. Maybe take the train into the city and change trains at Townhall.

CUEVO

Postby CUEVO » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Just catch a cab....i live in North Sydney and had to go to Centennial Park 3 weeks ago to the Moonlight Cinema...cost me $25 including the Harbour Bridge toll, and was only from memory 10 minute journey (maybe more, I was chatting the whole time)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Welcome chloe - you can do it! :D

Go with the suggestions about removing the cranks - or even just the pedals. Lower the seat so you can put your feet on the ground when seated and practice "scooting" around. You have a great precedent here - this is exactly what the first "bicycles" were like, although they had another fancy name like Velocipede or some such.

This will get you used to steering and braking, and you can put your feet down easily if you feel yourself going over. The steps advised by Graeme above for progressing to being able to pedal as you feel more comfortable are spot on.

As for where to do it, I'd suggest a school basketball court, empty business carpark or similar where you can forget abut having to negotiate things liek trees, pedestrians and traffic until you get the basics worked out. There are paths around St Leonards Park (the park around North Sydney Oval) you could try if you want a change of scenery or more challenge.

Hope this helps. I often ride through St Leonards Park of an evening on the way home from work - quite a nice spot. :D

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:11 am

I live in Paddington. Sogood's directions are your best bet. Take the train to Town Hall and walk up Park St to Elizabeth St. From there catch the 380 (333 if you have a Travelten). It will go straight up Oxford St to Centennial Park.

More than happy to help you out if you like. Looks like the hire store closes at 4 so I can't do Thursdays. Sunday is fine - PM me

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:46 am

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I don't know what's funnier.

The OP or the serious replies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 am

Just another option - there is bike hire available in Bicentennial Park at Homebush 7-days a week. You could catch the train to Olympic Park station (have to change at Strathfield usually), then walk about 1.5 km from the station on Dawn Fraser Ave to the Lilies on the Park cafe in the park. There are some really excellent off-road bike paths all around Olympic Park.

Why not try ringing them and ask if they have adult learn to bike tuition available ? Not sure how they'd feel about taking cranks off for you, but I agree with those suggestions - ask them if they'd be willing to help with that much at least.

Failing that, I taught my 4 kids to bike ride and while that was quite a while ago, I could probably find some time on a weekend morning to give you a hand - PM me if that interests you.

Whichever way you decide to go, I wish you luck and safe cycling !
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

utopia

Postby utopia » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:15 am

as an adult i think you will pick up riding a bit quicker than as a kid because you will be more co-ordinated and longer legs. probably only take less than a hour.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:21 am

Actually, the information/tourist shop also rent bikes and they are right outside the station, opposite the Olympics stadium. Could be an easier option in terms of transport.