Urgent help... anyone can teach me how to ride a bike?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:28 pm

RainForeverRain wrote:As for there not being any financial/personal risks involved, that's just a leap of faith. I can think of a very simple theft scenario where you let the person get on your bike to try it and they just pedal away. It's happened before and will happen again, in broad daylight with any number of bystanders. There are lots more unpleasant possibilities.

In the end it depends on the amount of risk you're willing to accept...
To me, that's almost the same risk as a plane falling from the sky and crushes my parked bike. So I might as well as to let the person steal it and still have a chance to get it back later. :P :lol: :lol:

Seriously, this whole set up is so indifferent to stopping on the bike path to assist a fellow rider with a flat. The financial risk there is that you may actually have to donate a tube ($10). As for teaching someone to ride a bike, financial risk is zero if one just have a very basic level of street smartness.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

itsaghostcar wrote:If you aren't feeling confident being on the road, there is a small track at the Alison Road end of the park that you can go round and round on to get a feeling for turning
The off-road shared cycleways around Olympic Park are also great for getting confident too - before you progress to mixing it with traffic. See the Bike Safaris for a map and Olympic Park Cycling for more information.

IIRC, there is a reasonable Japanese Restaurant and Japanese take-aways in the food-court at Rhodes Shopping Center - which you can reach by following the shared cycleway to the North, parallel to Homebush Bay Drive (no road riding involved).

When you do want to start riding on the road, the roads around the Olympic precinct are good ones to start on - used by lots of cyclists, good shoulders and good visibility for motorists and cyclists. It's also a good starting point for rides down the Cooks River Cycleway to Botany when you're up for a 50 km round trip - off-road, except for various road crossings. If you've got your own bike by then, you could hop on the train with it - this was no trouble for the 1000's who did so for the Sydney Spring Cycle.

Congratulations on getting started and I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

Now, time to blow a raspberry :razz: at all posters whose troll detectors went into overdrive.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

chloess wrote:they actually helped me to learn and I managed to start riding in 1 go..

I was riding there for an hr.. and really enjoy it. I am seriously thinking I should buy a bike for myself.
Fantastic and well done! Not sure what time you rode there but it was a pretty hot day to bike in CP.

More suggestion. Before you walk in to a bike shop to buy a new bike, it would be good for you to rent a few times and get a few ks under your belt, and have a chance to observe other riders and think what type of cycling you want to do. And then ask and ask again about the sizing and the deals offered. There's a good knowledge base on this forum for that.

Happy cycling!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:39 pm

chloess wrote:i got a bit sun burn on my face today. haha i was riding from 12pm to 1pm
Sun block cream/lotion is essential under the Australian sun. And midday is no time to ride.

If you keep this up and get yourself a bike, soon enough you'll be able to ride over from North Sydney. It looks far but it's actually pretty easy to do.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Enough of this on-road stuff. :roll:

Mountain biking is where it's at! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm

G'Day Chloe, welcome outside :D

Up and rolling already? Fanbloodytastic. Keep it up 8)

There's a few hardcore cynics here, me included. Glad you didn't get frightened off the bike, THAT would be a crime.

Keep on rollin' :)

Shaun

Now what's this little button marked ip do?... :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Did I miss something... yes I did and it almost got too hot and crazy on this thread. I was on the side of the welcoming group and not the conspiracy group this time.

chloess - well done
Cycling is in my BNA

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 am

Hmm, guess I may have been a bit over-cautious. Sorry chloess & hope you weren't offended :)

Enjoy your new hobby :D

RainForeverRain

Postby RainForeverRain » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am

Have to admit to calling a false alarm this time.

Have to also admit that my reaction is probably going to be exactly the same the next time around. Sorry Chloess.
Cell Team 2008 mod to flat bar.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am

RainForeverRain wrote:Have to also admit that my reaction is probably going to be exactly the same the next time around.
Have to say that at least you are consistent. But also have to say that you just don't learn. :wink:

RainForeverRain

Postby RainForeverRain » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

sogood wrote:
RainForeverRain wrote:Have to also admit that my reaction is probably going to be exactly the same the next time around.
Have to say that at least you are consistent. But also have to say that you just don't learn. :wink:
Sigh... I had a similar argument with a backpacker last year:

Me: "I wouldn't hitchhike unless I had to - it's dangerous"
Her: "I hitchiked my way here from Cairns and nothing happened - it's safe"

In other words, one result doesn't prove your case when you're talking about a small probability. That's something you should learn.
Cell Team 2008 mod to flat bar.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 am

sogood wrote:The financial risk there is that you may actually have to donate a tube ($10).
Let us know where you're buying your tubes from so we can avoid the joint :lol: :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 am

RainForeverRain wrote:In other words, one result doesn't prove your case when you're talking about a small probability. That's something you should learn.
The difference being, your strategy is a binary one and blankets all of these into a single high risk group, one that is appropriate for teaching primary school kids cf. "No, Go, Tell" program. But in the real [pun] world, learnt judgements can be made by experienced adults. In this case, there are more than a few clues that suggest this is a bona fide request. As such, "Innocent until proven otherwise" rule applies.

Yes, there are things that just can't be learnt by some. :wink:
Last edited by sogood on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 am

Chuck wrote:Let us know where you're buying your tubes from so we can avoid the joint :lol: :lol:
That's what LBSs in my area of Sydney are quoting. Similar prices from BBB to Conti/Michelin.

I prefer to buy tubes online but had to pay $10 twice over the last 2-3 years due to emergencies. :cry:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

sogood wrote:
Chuck wrote:Let us know where you're buying your tubes from so we can avoid the joint :lol: :lol:
That's what LBSs in my area of Sydney are quoting. Similar prices from BBB to Conti/Michelin.

I prefer to buy tubes online but had to pay $10 twice over the last 2-3 years due to emergencies. :cry:
6627 posts told me you were'nt going to let that slide :P
FPR Ragamuffin

Arcanum

Postby Arcanum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

A cynic is one who knows the price of everything yet the value of nothing!

As someone who has literally travelled the world hundreds of times I always looked forward to coming back home to the Aussie way of things but lately I wonder where that has all gone? And am glad I moved out to the lake where there really is a one for all, all for one attitude!

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:30 am

4 pages worth and everyone is still carrying on.

Might I remind you all that no one here has yet to meet this person, real or otherwise.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am

Might I remind you Burt, that nobody I have met has met you either .... (Maybe I should send Jennifer an email to let her know you live in her cupboard.)

[general announcement]

Look, if you think a person is a troll, just sit back and watch the action unfold - the mods will take care of it. There is no reason to jump in feet first and insult a newbie. If they later on show themselves to be a troll, you can chirp up with a smug comment. Otherwise, treat people as you want to be treated yourself. Don't be so farking rude!

[/general announcement]

Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Oh No, nobody in the forums has met me either. :D
Maybe I'm a baddie :shock: :lol: :wink:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm

martinjs wrote:Oh No, nobody in the forums has met me either. :D
You might not be so bad, but your kid is trailer trash! :D:D (That's a JOKE!!! :))

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:23 pm

Didn't Nobody meet you in some dodgy LBS a while back? :roll:

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
You might not be so bad, but your kid is trailer trash! :D:D (That's a JOKE!!! :))

Cheers,
Graeme
Good one :D I'll pay that. :lol: :lol:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

rob e

Postby rob e » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:
Might I remind you all that no one here has yet to meet this person, real or otherwise.
Funnily enough while browsing came across this .....

http://www.scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/8620.aspx

This is a lot of trouble to go to to create a back story to try rob someone of a bicycle or some other nefarious activity :lol:

I think we can declare Chloess genuine on the back of this.

/ INQUISITION OVER.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Might I remind you Burt, that nobody I have met has met you either .... (Maybe I should send Jennifer an email to let her know you live in her cupboard.)

[general announcement]

Look, if you think a person is a troll, just sit back and watch the action unfold - the mods will take care of it. There is no reason to jump in feet first and insult a newbie. If they later on show themselves to be a troll, you can chirp up with a smug comment. Otherwise, treat people as you want to be treated yourself. Don't be so farking rude!

[/general announcement]

Graeme
+1
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:20 pm

rob e wrote:
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:
Funnily enough while browsing came across this .....

http://www.scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/8620.aspx

This is a lot of trouble to go to to create a back story to try rob someone of a bicycle or some other nefarious activity :lol:

I think we can declare Chloess genuine on the back of this.

/ INQUISITION OVER.
My take on this, considering the post on this forum came FIRST is that it's a hook that'll work on both cyclists and scooterists.

It's extremely hard NOT to balance on a scooter. you've got a big heavy bit of metal doing at least 2,000 RPM underneath you, that's a massive gyroscope. In fact, if you rev them while sitting on teh brakes, they basically stand up on their own and that's standing still!

Furthermore, why get a "scooter" licence? Wouldn't the overseas car license be converted to an australian drivers licence? On which one can ride a scooter!

Even FURTHERmore, the language is clearly not foreign. Good spelling + bad grammar doesn't make sense.

EDIT: check this out, chloess in st leonards not talking like a 5 year old. http://au.answers.yahoo.com/my/profile; ... tNTbrqPuaa