New Bike Story - The Beginning

The Stig

New Bike Story - The Beginning

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

Hi All,

Firstly just wanted to thank you all for your contributions to this forum, I have been using the fountain of knowledge for a few weeks now.

Decided in Jan to get a bike and commute to work, purely for fitness.

With some help from this forum and a cycling mate, I bought an Avanti Blade 1.0, after considering a cheaper bike and a more expensive Cell.

I Didn't realise the financial investment - by the time I bought accessories (lights, bar ends, computer, Emergency pack, cage and bidon, lock) + Clothes (Gloves, Knicks) I was in over $1,000.

The Commute from/ to home is 18kms of mostly back streets and bike paths.

Decided to start slow, and parked the car 8kms from the city and went on the bay run via Drummoyne, Lillyfield, Anzac Bridge, Pyrmont, Darling Harbour. Have been doing this for 3 weeks, and already I feel a massive improvement.

Starting the exercise (AT) 130kgs, it was a struggle and I had to walk the bike up the Steep part of Lillyfield Rd, and up the overpasses (AT) Victoria Rd and the city side of the Anzac Bridge.

After just 3 weeks, I can now ride up the things which I cannot believe…. Though there is still a long way to go. I am doing it pretty slowly (30mins for 8kms!)

Starting off with good equipment was a great idea, not just because I don’t want to waste the money, but also as it makes the experience more enjoyable.

My real question is how I should make my way to the full commute. I see two options.

1/ Slowly move the car back towards home and build up to the 18kms over a period of time (and if so what period).

2/ Bite the bullet and cycle in the whole way. I have a carspace in the city so I could ride in, drive home, drive in, ride home each week. When I am confident on the bike I will be handing it back to my employer and pocketing the $12k they charge me for it!

I think the answer will be (1), however it is a bit of a pain loading the bike into the car each day, and I don’t like leaving my beautiful car on the street.

Thanks everyone for their help (even though you probably didn’t realise you were giving it!) and I look forward to your input on my question above.

Just want to re-iterate, I have no desire (at the moment) to be a competitive rider, other than competing with myself, I just want to lose weight and feel cycling is a good way to do it.

Cheers.

fitz

Postby fitz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:49 am

Good on ya mate, the hardest part is over.
As to how to go about it listen to your body. Wait till you shed a few kilos before doing anything dramatic! If you go the longer distance take it steady, say at a pace that you can still talk. Your still burning calories and tuning the legs. Short hard bursts are not the thing now. In a few months the legs and heart will come good and you can really start looking at commuting both ways. Have a rest every now and then during the week and go for a longer spin on the weekend once a month or so.
If you going to be savin' 12K a year on parking :shock: then money is no object and I would strongly suggest a pair of shoes with cleats and pedals. Double sided pedals and shoes you can walk in too. Don't be afraid of them. A lot easier than using a clutch when learning to drive! Just spend a little time on the weekend getting used to them. They will make a significant contribution to your cycling efficiency.
Keep it up

20thCB

Re: New Bike Story - The Beginning

Postby 20thCB » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am

The Stig wrote: 2/ Bite the bullet and cycle in the whole way. I have a carspace in the city so I could ride in, drive home, drive in, ride home each week. When I am confident on the bike I will be handing it back to my employer and pocketing the $12k they charge me for it!
You will soon be able to do this...I do this for 38k in to work, except I get the train home. Much better than loading the bike into the car. I actually look forward to the bike ride. 18km is really doable.

Well done for biting the bullet, although you will soon realise that $1000 is at the lower end of bike retail madness!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 am

G'day Stig,

Welcome to our forum. It's great to have such an esteemed driver amongst us - is what some say about you really true? ;) :lol:

I think in your case I'd also go with option 1. I reckon park the car 1 km closer to home each day or two until you're riding, say, 15km. Then just leave the car at home.

However, there's no reason not to try taking the bike in one day in the car, riding home, and if you can't face riding in the next day, catch a train in to retrieve your car.

$12,000?!?!?!? :shock: !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, within 6 months you could justify getting a top-line road bike.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

TiD

Postby TiD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 am

My mother does a similar distance ride although with me accompanying her on the ride as she is not that confident on the roads. She goes to work while I hang around and browse various bike stores in the city.

I asked her about the ride and she says, "it's not really a 18km ride, but 2 9km rides."

Although in my opinion, she is quite fit for her age of "21". (I'm 22)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:01 pm

g'day Stiggy

option 1

how about a full distance test ride on the weekend to see how you go?
Last edited by JV911 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm

TiD wrote:My mother does a similar distance ride although with me accompanying her on the ride as she is not that confident on the roads. She goes to work while I hang around and browse various bike stores in the city.

I asked her about the ride and she says, "it's not really a 18km ride, but 2 9km rides."

Although in my opinion, she is quite fit for her age of "21". (I'm 22)
It will be an 18 km each way commute - currently doing 8 x 2 (morning and afternoon).

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Kalgrm wrote:G'day Stig,

Welcome to our forum. It's great to have such an esteemed driver amongst us - is what some say about you really true? ;) :lol:

Cheers,
Graeme
Well some do say I look like a gumby on a bike, and that my belly is made from undigested lager.....

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Onya Ben Collins ;) Welcome outside :)

Gradual increase is the name of the game; after a few weeks of option 1 you'll be doing option 2 with ease. Just be wary of pushing yourself too hard; you don't want to end up feeling fatigued and hating the bike. "They" say about 10% increase per week is about right, which would get you to 36Km daily in nine or ten weeks.

Above all, make sure you're enjoying riding!

wintal

Postby wintal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

I would actually do it differently. I'd start with riding both ways, see how you feel (how sore your legs get). Give the legs time to recover, then do it again, repeat until you're up to 5 days a week. It'll be easier to stick to if you're not waking up sore and forcing yourself to ride in, and you're less likely to injure yourself. Also while you're doing it this way you can use your car to ferry clothing/etc into work which will make the ride a bit easier.

Something like:
Week 1-2: Ride Tuesday/Thursday.
Week 3-4: Ride Mon/wed/fri
Week 5-6: Ride Mon/tue/Wed/Fri
Week 7+: Ride all days.

That's my 2c anyhow, though in reality any way you do it will probably work.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 pm

+1 for the weekend round trip as it gives you plenty of time to get there and back.

Before I started commuting I rode the path 3 - 4 times to get used to the distance which was similar to what you are looking at.

The first month of riding that was I was shattered every day and it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed each morning to do the trip. 12 months on I am riding a lot further each commute and the ANZAC Bridge still hurts!

Keep it up, make sure you give yourself rest days and you'll soon be suffering from the cyclist's disease (upgraditis)! Best of luck

justD

Postby justD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Stig, I can absolutely identify with you!!

I weighed 131Kgs when I started cycling in October, I struggled with a 5km trip to work and I spent a few dollars over $1000 on my bike.
That was October.

This morning I weighed in at 123Kgs and I cycled 12Kms to work, being my average distance route. I alternate between 5, 12 or 18km routes. I tried the 18km route a couple of times over weekends before I did it in the morning. In total I've only cycled 644Kms since I got my cycling computer in November, so you'll find you'll make progress pretty quickly.

As so many people on this forum have said to me, well done on taking the first steps - it can only get better from here.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Firstly, good on ya. I was over 130kg in Feb last year. I'm now under 110. I cycle to and from work each day and I now wear xl and xxl clothes!

Anyway, in the beginning I almost killed myself with a 16k ride. That is what I needed to do to get to work, so I rode it around homebush. Now I can do it in about 40 minutes depending on the traffic.

I took my 7 year old daughter on that same ride today and she did it easily and then spent an hour on the trampoline. It showed me how far I had come and how glad I am that I'm not still there. You should not be outlasted by your 7 y.o.

I suggest you do what I do an HTFU. Ride to work. Ride home. Leave early. Take it easy. If a 7y.o. can do it, so can you.

Do it once a week until you H a bit more, then up it to 2 days and so on until you get to the point where you look down on all of the cagers and polluters and you start harassing your boss about the lack of bike facilities and about how they should supply you with corporate jerseys.

Cheers,
David

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 pm

i'm with bigfriendlyvegan. think about that seven year old kid on the trampoline. if that doesn't get you going think of something that does and stick at it. 18 isn't that far. by winter you'll wonder what the fuss was about if you stick at it

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:29 am

Howdy Stig
Great to see another 130+ joining the ranks

Mate the look of disbelief on my staff's faces when I said 6 months ago I was gonna start riding the 25kms in to work was priceless
In fact it nearly stopped me dead in my tracks
I was 32 kgs heavier then and now 5 bikes have been sold to some of our office staff and they marvel that I ride each way most days for a 50km round trip....yeh....that fixed em !!!

I started huffin and puffin 1km to the service station to pump up the tyres !
Next ride was 10kms - sore butt !
Next week was multiple 10 kms trips
By the 3rd week I went all the way and haven't looked back
I started at 1 1/2 hrs and am now down to best time of 57 minutes
And man do I feel GREAT !
Now I ride both ways each day !

Still a long way to go but what a great ride you must have down there to enjoy as well
I started to make sure I rode every morning - I wasn't so prone to say nah....too tired this arvo - and then also if it rained I didn't miss out

This way I made sure that I got my hr exercise min .....
I love the fact that I don't need to do any more

Although I still struggle with being tired after both trips 50 kms
...especially with a a howling South Easterly in my face all the way home
and us bigger guys block a a fair bit of wind

And yes - the hills get better
Just drop back into a a granny gear for a while and keep your cadence up
Yeh the lycra crew blow past you = but I console myself that my 138kgs is getting less each week and pffffffft to them
I gotta carry 50 kgs more up these hills than them
BUT MAN I CAN ROCKET DOWNHILL ! :lol:

Gotta agree about the cleats and pedals - got em for xmas after my fist 2000kms

WHAT A DIFFERENCE UPHILLS - Just don't forget to uncleat as you come into your driveway - MY 1st and only fall was after 20 kms ride got home buzzed in driveway stopped - oops cleats .......crash on the driveway !!!!

Still no panic for that ! Give it time and consistency

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more of your journey

Andrew
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:55 am

G'day

Welcome to the forums and well done on getting out and riding. When I first started I did this "training" program which was recommended here. Maybe a variation of this would work in terms of your riding to work.

Regards
Andrew

The Stig

Update

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Just thought I would provide all with a quick update.

You all may laugh, but being new to the riding caper I have wussed out of riding in the rain, and so hadn't been on the bike from 4th Feb until this morning (nearly 3 weeks) :oops: :oops:

Jumped on this morning for the ride from Five Dock (7kms) expecting to struggle.

Was surprised that I had maintained some ability in the 3 weeks, and was able to make it in in the usual 30 mins.

Only issue was a guy on a motorised scooter near the start of lilyfield road who nearly cleaned me up!!

Am going to move the car back tomorrow (weather pending) and try to do 11kms each way.

Am feeling fittter and have even lost a couple of kgs - so all is good.

Now hopefully the rain will hold off tonight!!

NB - Also had my first flat on the 4th Feb. Fixed the puncture, then pumped up the tyre, put the bike out in the sun (where it is stored) and 3 mins later KABOOM, tyre exploded. had to replace the inner tube. Assume this was due to the sun (42 degree day?)

Max

Re: Update

Postby Max » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:11 pm

The Stig wrote: 3 mins later KABOOM, tyre exploded. had to replace the inner tube. Assume this was due to the sun (42 degree day?)
Quite possibly. I recall doing rifle drills in the cadets back in the day. We'd just been issued our SLRs and were practicing this, that and the other, next to an aircraft hangar. Said hangar had a number of bicycles parked next to it. It was a terrifically hot day, and one of the bicycles' tubes exploded! We all shat ourselves thinking a rifle had fired off a round. :lol:

Max

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 pm

SLR's - you're letting your age show.

I ride 6km and it generally takes me about 30 to 35 minutes, (about 10km/hr avergae speed) but I don't rush, and I have 3 long hills to climb! I have done the trip in just under 25 minutes (14.4km/hr average speed) on a 38 degree summer day - 1.5 litres of water in the hydration pack disappeared quickly!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

The Stig

Update

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 am

Well I decided to bite the bullet.

Rode the entire 18kms from home to CBD this morning.

Took me about 85 mins, but I got lost a couple of times so I am sure I could get it done in about 75 at the moment.

Didn't have to get off the bike and walk once, though did stop a couple of times to get my bearings, traffic lights, consult maps etc.

Quite happy with that effort, till I realised I could have ridden to Newcastle in the same amount of time!!

Anyway, I am staying in the city tonight, so will ride home tomorrow.

I am seriously happy that I made it, as the loading the bike into the car caper was starting to wear thin.... coupled with the fact that if I had a couple of beers at lunch I couldn't ride to the car, and would need to leave my beloved R36 on the street.

I feel it was a breakthrough, and am now seriously psyched.

Sidenote: Broke a pedal on Monday on the way home, which annoyed me no end. Bought some sturdy metal jobbies, which will hopefully last.

Stig.

Dave R32

Re: Update

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:11 am

The Stig wrote: ..coupled with the fact that if I had a couple of beers at lunch I couldn't ride to the car, and would need to leave my beloved R36 on the street.

Stig.
Thats your motivation right there :D :D

An R36 should never, ever be left on the street !!!

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:34 am

well done stiggy, will be doing it in under an hour in no time
The Stig wrote:I feel it was a breakthrough, and am now seriously

i love those "king of the world" moments :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

x8pg2qr

Postby x8pg2qr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 am

If you haven’t done so, you could create your route on bikely.com.

To:
Marvel at your elevation profile.
Allow other newbies to see a local, useful “doable” route. This is something I have benefited from.
Search for other nearby routes which may be better/safer/quieter/less steep if not closer.

There are alternatives to bikely.com. And I’m not a Sydney local, so maybe the route is already obvious to Sydney-siders.

The Stig

Made it Home

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 am

Alrighty, so have now managed to cycle all the way into work and all the way home.

14.8km average speed, which is slow, but I am sure I can improve this over the coming weeks.

18kms each way, so am spending at the moment 1hour 15mins each way, or 2 1/2 hours on the bike a day.

I have always hated taking time out of my day to exercise (probably why I weight 135kgs) but this seems to be incidental exercise, so am not bothered.

I just hope I can keep it up.

Bike needs its first service (250kms down) as I can no longer get in the granny gear, which makes lillyfield rd in Sydney quite difficult (anyone in Sydney who goes up that hill will know my pain).

Anyway, am hoping to do the ride 3 times a week over the next few weeks, and build it up to 4.

Am not really changing my diet, as I figure with that amount of time on the bike I can eat and drink pretty much what I like and still lose weight (time will tell).

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:38 am

Congratulations mate. You have made the right step!! Well done on the 18km ride as well. Dont be put off it took you 85mins. You will see now you have done it once, you can do it again. Once you start losing a few kilos you will find climbing a bit easier and your avg speed will increase as well. I was 129 kilos two years ago, Ive dropped down to 97, then back up to 107 because of a injury and Im back on my bike now!!!

Keep pedalling mate!!