Numbnuts are still out there

gorilla monsoon

Numbnuts are still out there

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Damn, just when I was starting to believe there were a lot of responsible riders along copmes another numbnut.
This guy decided the best way to cross a fouor lane road was on the pedestrian crossing. Problem was he rode the crossing against the red light.
I'm still not sure how four cars (including one being driven by me) managed to avoid him.
Just goes to show that not all of us are responsible riders.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

JV911

Re: Numbnuts are still out there

Postby JV911 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Problem was he rode the crossing against the red light.
see similar things every day in the city...the corner of king and george streets has a 4-way pedestrian crossing. every day without fail i see clowns on bikes careening through the intersection while 100's of peds cross the road. only a matter of time before either: a) a ped gets wiped out or; b) a ped takes offence and puts a biker on his ar$e :x
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:42 pm

G'day

Nothing new in this. We are members of the broader community, not some elite social group after all.

Andrew

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Let he who is free of sin, cast the first stone.

Won't be any stones coming from my way, that's for sure.

ScottDavis

Postby ScottDavis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:32 pm

Yep, agree Burt. None from me either.
2009 Focus Raven Expert, 2008 Oppy Le Mauco (In Blue), 2005 Avanti Corsa Carbonio, 2003 GT i-Drive 3.0
http://twitter.com/ScottDavis
http://700x23.wordpress.com/

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:Let he who is free of sin, cast the first stone.

Pity you weren't so tolerant when you made this inane comment: -
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:
Hassan Bakr, 34, of Claymore
Ssys it all really.
:roll:

Kev.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:45 pm

i'd get annoyed about this sort of stuff if i was also prepared to get annoyed about jaywalkers.

. . which i'm not.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:06 am

I was leaving work the other day, and just out the front of the building there is a pedestrian crossing ('zebra') with a traffic island in the middle. And this cyclists rides onto the pedestrian crossing without looking.... and I don't stop. I wouldn't have hit him, but he's suddenly stopped on the traffic island in the middle when he's realised that I'm not stopping. As I go past I called out "You're not a pedestrian, mate.".... I wonder if he understood what I was on about :roll:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

stu

Postby stu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 am

Yep there are some trully irrasponsable rides out there. I follow a guy om my comute yesterday & watched him run 2 red lights. Very silly man. I work in the insurance industry & you should see the amout of crashed cars that we get in that have hit cyclists whilst the car has the green light.

I for one try to obey every road road where possible as I feel thats the only way cyclists are ever going to earn respect from drivers.
Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:Let he who is free of sin, cast the first stone.

None of us is perfect Burt but most of us are not total d1ckheads either. Personally I'm not a fan of riders using ped crossings unless they actually get off and push their bikes across but when they ignore the red lights they are dumber than dog !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! AND give the rest of us a bad rep.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Nate

Re: Numbnuts are still out there

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 pm

JV911 wrote:see similar things every day in the city...the corner of king and george streets has a 4-way pedestrian crossing. every day without fail i see clowns on bikes careening through the intersection while 100's of peds cross the road. only a matter of time before either: a) a ped gets wiped out or; b) a ped takes offence and puts a biker on his ar$e :x
Do this every morning... except at extremely slow walking pace & always give way to peds...
Never had any issues - mainly due to the walking pace i'm guessing ;)

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:47 pm

In all honesty, regardless of how well behaved, and responsible we ALL are, we will NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER, earn the respect of other road users.

By that I don't mean we should flaunt every road law in the book, but realisitcally, cyclists (in Australia) will always occupy a rung way down on the pecking order of the road food chain.

Most of you won't like hearing that, but I honestly believe it to be true.

How many of you hear from car drivers, that if cyclists paid some form of registration cost, and wore license plates, then we'd be treated a lot more equally when on the roads? A lot of you, I bet.

And out of all of you that hear that comment, how many of you actually believe it?

Newbie101

Postby Newbie101 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:46 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:How many of you hear from car drivers, that if cyclists paid some form of registration cost, and wore license plates, then we'd be treated a lot more equally when on the roads? A lot of you, I bet.
Yep, had a discussion with my work colleague the other day on this exact topic. He ride a motorbike and was annoyed that bicyclists don't pay rego. I responded by saying that I am happy to pay bike rego if there are dedicated cycle lanes and a discount on my car rego (as I am taking a car off the road). He actually thought it was a good idea.

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:15 pm

[quote="Newbie101I responded by saying that I am happy to pay bike rego if there are dedicated cycle lanes and a discount on my car rego (as I am taking a car off the road)[/quote]

That's the best suggestion I've heard.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:[quote="Newbie101I responded by saying that I am happy to pay bike rego if there are dedicated cycle lanes and a discount on my car rego (as I am taking a car off the road)
That's the best suggestion I've heard.[/quote]

Maybe we should be more grateful to all those non-bike riders who fund the infrastructure we are provided with :)

How much do you think your "registration fee" actually buys in terms of roads or bicycling infrastructure? You will I suspect find that the roads and bike infrastructure are funded from general revenue (i.e., tax payers - individuals and corporates) and/or borrowings.

Regards
Andrew